How Do You Handle Slow Traffic On 2-Lane Roads?

wantahertzdonut

How do you react when you're out for a ride or just traveling on your bike and you encounter that one (or 10) cars that are stuck at 5mph below the speed limit, and absolutely destroy that awesome curvy road?

This happened to me all the time in the Cleveland Metroparks, but since that was the only road in the county worth riding it was all I had. 

I got to the point where I started passing on the double yellow when I had a good amount of visibility.  I have been doing it a fair bit here out west too, sometimes in the national parks but mostly on the mountain roads outside of the parks.

I typically only ride or drive 5mph over the speed limit unless traffic is generally going faster, so I'm not the type that wonders why people don't routinely drive 20 over.  But I certainly don't like driving under the speed limit and consider it dangerous when there's traffic behind me and someone can't maintain speed and creates the traffic accordion. 

Some non-riders have told me I'm being reckless, but I think I'm escaping a dangerous situation to a better one.  Am I the only one that thinks this?  I'm looking at this objectively for a better perspective from fellow riders.

Depends on the situation.  If it is a single car and I am by myself I will pass when the road is safest regardless of a legal passing zone.  Passing zones are set in place for where a car can make a safe pass, they don't really have any bearing on how quickly and safely a sportbike can make the same pass.  If it is a group ride or multiple cars than the chance of a pass decreases rapidly.  It is just not as easy to judge the actions of a group in a less than ideal situation.

Each rider passes individually when it's safe to do so on a double yellow with good visibility.  It's common sense really.  I agree that double yellows are usually distance marked for cars and bikes can safely pass in some areas.  That doesn't make it legal.  To each their own.  It's your safety.

Lol anyone who even questions this has never been on an OR ride...

It's not so much the question, it's that a few people that are close to me have expressed disdain toward the practice.  I'm mostly gathering voices to prove that I'm not the only one that gets impatient enough to pass a car, dashed lines or not.

So how many of you have done this: passed multiple cars (like 3-5) in established passing zones with a wide open road ahead?  I did this a few times in Yellowstone.  No critters in site, clear road ahead, wankers in cars traveling at 35 in a 45 zone.

It's not so much the question, it's that a few people that are close to me have expressed disdain toward the practice.  I'm mostly gathering voices to prove that I'm not the only one that gets impatient enough to pass a car, dashed lines or not.

So how many of you have done this: passed multiple cars (like 3-5) in established passing zones with a wide open road ahead?  I did this a few times in Yellowstone.  No critters in site, clear road ahead, wankers in cars traveling at 35 in a 45 zone.

I always pass if its clear. Most peoples self preservation kicks in and they often give you plenty of room if you've misjudged the room needed for a pass allowing you to squeeze between opposing traffic and them on the line if need be. But when i pass its normally at a very quick rate especially on the double yellow. I recently posted a video on here that shows me passing multiple times on the double yellow.

First problem is you're saying the cleveland metro parks are the only good roads in the county.

If you go down to penisula, bath and cuyahoga falls you have a lot better choice in roads with less traffic, which is not very far from the "Cleveland metro parks" at all.

But... If you just take a 60-90 minute ride south you'll have some amazing roads with absolutely no traffic, and no police, your biggest worry is going down, breaking your legs and no one finding you for hours and then being eaten by a coyote.

Wow I missed the Metroparks part. Yea nobody should ever consider anything over a cruiser pace in the Metroparks due to slow drivers, too many rangers and shitty road condition. I used to be on the Metroparks all the time when I just wanted to get out

Like zx3 said there are much better choices in roads in the same area of the Brecksville reservation. If you're interested in those I can find some saved maps that include them

Most I've passed at once was 10. Biggest fear was that one of the 10 would get impatient, not see me passing and dart out in front or into me...

Edited by magley64

First problem is you're saying the cleveland metro parks are the only good roads in the county.

If you go down to penisula, bath and cuyahoga falls you have a lot better choice in roads with less traffic, which is not very far from the "Cleveland metro parks" at all.

But... If you just take a 60-90 minute ride south you'll have some amazing roads with absolutely no traffic, and no police, your biggest worry is going down, breaking your legs and no one finding you for hours and then being eaten by a coyote.

You just suggested roads in other counties.  I didn't always have time to go out to Peninsula or further, and the metroparks (from Lakewood to Brecksville) were right outside my old house.

Wow I missed the Metroparks part. Yea nobody should ever consider anything over a cruiser pace in the Metroparks due to slow drivers, too many rangers and shitty road condition. I used to be on the Metroparks all the time when I just wanted to get out

Like zx3 said there are much better choices in roads in the same area of the Brecksville reservation. If you're interested in those I can find some saved maps that include them

There were times it was good, but weekend afternoons were not the time to go there.  I have that road memorized so usually I'd ride through there at night and comfortably took the road at 40-50.

Yes, the Brecksville reservation was better, with better surfaces and less cops.  Only issue I had was some fuckbomber on a bagger that almost ran into us by Tinker's Creek.

You just suggested roads in other counties. I didn't always have time to go out to Peninsula or further, and the metroparks (from Lakewood to Brecksville) were right outside my old house.

Bottom line. Don't tear through any park. Liable to get yourself chased down by an angry set of parents. Either cruise through the park, moderate pace through cuyahoga valley or fast pace down south. People like you give everyone else a bad name.

There were times it was good, but weekend afternoons were not the time to go there. I have that road memorized so usually I'd ride through there at night and comfortably took the road at 40-50.

Yes, the Brecksville reservation was better, with better surfaces and less cops. Only issue I had was some fuckbomber on a bagger that almost ran into us by Tinker's Creek.

Sent from my flip razor using Tapatalk - now Free

I used to blast through corners in the park with lost and Jbot, then slow up for the straights, and blast the corners again... It was a good time.

We did our share of that too. Straight speed wasn't all that fun anyway, especially if it was cold out.