More small engine woes

max power

Bought a returned Toro leaf blower today. It fires up fine and runs on choke. It will run with wide open throttle on half choke. As soon try to shut the choke off, it falls on its face and dies.

I have got the plug properly and checked all the usual suspects. It's getting plenty of fuel and seems to be getting plenty of spark.

I have pulled the carb and blowed through all the fuel lines. There are no removable jets, but I have blown through the ones that I can find.

Any suggestions for what I should check next?

Edited by max power

As soon try to shut the choke off, it falls on its face and dies.

That means you have a fuel issue.  You aren't getting enough fuel into the A/F mixture. 

It probably has 2 jets.   I would use some carb cleaner & a thin single filament wire to clean them.

Does yours have an screw to adjust the A/F mix?  If it does put it right in the middle of the adjustment range and adjust via trial and error.

I'm with Sam, pull the tank and check for a pressure line. My Dad and I just got my leaf blower running right when finding the fuel lines had crumbled inside the tank and it didn't run for shit without choke. Line is cheap too, $3 for a few feet at the auto stores

These little bastards. Here are problems I've found.

Runs fine, then slow and stops if you do nothing or runs on half choke only.

While it's starting to die, loosen the gas cap enough to get air in, then tighten it back up (you're only tighting it back up to see if it does it again, if if it goes to normal that's it). If it speeds back up to normal, then slows again, it can be the vent in the gas cap. Clean it out in both directions with carb cleaner and a air hose. THey clog.

The fuel filter in the tank connected to the fuel hose falls off. It's a problem because the fuel filter also acts as a weight keeping the hose in fuel.

The primer bulbs have a small crack in them.

The return fuel line to the tank falls off or leaks or it's switched with the real fuel line.

Primary fuel line cracked in some cavity you can't see within the engine housing.

Dirt inside the primer bulb cavity.

Piston ring gaps are lined up with eachother.

There isn't much to these bastards but they sure can be a pain.

Edited by Gump

There's usually a strainer element on the feed line in the bottom of the tank, made sure its not blocked? Or a cut/pinch in the line inside the tank? If it can allow pressure to escape where the line passes through the tank, that would kill its feed pressure too but you'd likely find fuel leaking there

These little bastards. Here are problems I've found.

Runs fine, then slow and stops if you do nothing or runs on half choke only.

While it's starting to die, loosen the gas cap enough to get air in, then tighten it back up. If it speeds back up to normal, then slows again, it can be the vent in the gas cap. Clean it out in both directions with carb cleaner and a air hose. THey clog.

The fuel filter in the tank connected to the fuel hose falls off. It's a problem because the fuel filter also acts as a weight keeping the hose in fuel.

The primer bulbs have a small crack in them.

The return fuel line to the tank falls off or leaks.

Primary fuel line cracked in some cavity you can't see within the engine housing.

Piston ring gaps are lined up with eachother.

There isn't much to these bastards but they sure can be a pain.

Or this :D

It's a brand new unit.

I may try to clean the jets. Definitely a fuel issue.

Seems to not be sucking the fuel enough.

I blew thru the lines in the carb. Seemed clear.

But it was a returned unit, correct? Did it have gas in it at any point before you bought it? If so, it's probably gummed up. I have a can of Seafoam. Come over tonight and pour a little bit in. 

If it runs ok with the choke on it's definitely fuel issue.  Spark, comp, etc. should be fine. 

It's running lean (most if not all of the potential causes for this have been listed), the choke richens it up a bit by reducing the air in the a/f mix.  When the choke is switched off it goes back to lean and dies.  This is same problem for 99% of snow blowers that sit all year and then won't run when you need them :) 

I didn't think about the gas cap thing. I'll try that when I get home tonight.

I checked the strainer weightt thingy and it's all good blew out out of the lines etc.

I just asked like it's not drawing enough fuel after it drains out what's in the bulb, but it doesn't quite drain the bulb.

Edited by max power

But it was a returned unit, correct? Did it have gas in it at any point before you bought it? If so, it's probably gummed up. I have a can of Seafoam. Come over tonight and pour a little bit in.

It was built last November according to the date code. I'm trying to get nick to bring the scan tool over tonight so I can troubleshoot Julie3's old car.

Gotta go put Blake's quad back together tomorrow night.