Tons of Harleys on CL

smccrory

Many buy a HD thinking that since the resale prices are so high they can simply sell and get their money back.  Imho this used to be true, but not so much anymore.  LIke anything else, once the market gets flooded the value stops rising.

Many buy a HD thinking that since the resale prices are so high they can simply sell and get their money back.  Imho this used to be true, but not so much anymore.  LIke anything else, once the market gets flooded the value stops rising.

This.  Used HD prices are down a lot right now. 

As much as I'm not into HDs, I'm considering buying one to flip in the spring.

And some are ridiculously priced too.  Saw a 2011 bagger listed on CL down in Ky at $30k!  But you are right, there are some deals out there.  Right place, right time......best of luck!

The biggest risk, is getting stuck with a Harley for a while  :tools:  :-)

Yes. Half of all motorcycles sold are Harleys (in the USA). Both new and used. They just don't get ridden a lot. You don't see them on the roads very often.

I disagree 100%. When it is nice and sunny out, I see HDs parked in bar parking lots. I am usually on the road riding by when I see them.

• Upvote 1

Used bikes in general are down, few years ago the gas prices drove them up. Used and new bikes were flying off the shelf. Now things are a bit more back to normal. But it seems the HD prices have been hit harder than the rest of us.

HD used prices were always a bit of an outlier.  For years they didn't really depreciate.   That drove new HD sales as well.  I am curious if falling prices of used HDs will hurt sales of new ones.

Harley is such an unusual niche market, I always thought their was potential for the 'bottom to fall out' (disclaimer:  the previous sentence was written as a capitalist, not as an HD basher).

I disagree 100%. When it is nice and sunny out, I see HDs parked in bar parking lots. I am usually on the road riding by when I see them.

Agreed. They seem to hide in clusters for protection or avoidance of "drinking alone" syndrome.

• Upvote 2

They just don't get ridden a lot. You don't see them on the roads very often.

While it's true that a lot, probably most, Harley riders are fair-weather riders, there is another subset of Harley riders who don't fit that mold. I remember posting on here last winter after I made a 100-mile round trip between Mount Vernon and Columbus on one of those gray, 40-degree winter days when almost nobody is riding. In 100 miles I saw six other motorcycles: one KLR650, one Triumph Bonneville and four Harleys.

There are plenty of Harley-riding posers, but some of the most hard-core riders I've ever known are also on Harleys. Can't paint everyone with the same brush. 

Edited by motociclista

I see lots of HDs on the road. And usually a fair amount for sale. HD isn't for the poor rough neck crowd, it's a high ticket item for white collar folk. I think the influx of used are those white collar owners getting ready for the liquid cooled and fuel injected models that just came out.

I totally agree - a high ticket item for the white collar crowd, and not terribly fuel efficient either (speaking to Tonik's point).  I think that a lot are bought by less-than-wealthy folks with loans or serious cash outlays, and then the bikes aren't ridden much due to time, weather, fuel cost, boredom, confidence, fitness for purpose or any other reality-inducing reason.  The end of a season comes along and they look at this big money sink with maybe no place to store it and don't have the same emotional connection, hence a sale.  Other bikes suffer similar fates, but I think less so not only because fewer are made but also because their less expensive to purchase and maintain, so there's less of a "holy shit I got a lot of money tied up in that" thing that happens.

While it's true that a lot, probably most, Harley riders are fair-weather riders, there is another subset of Harley riders who don't fit that mold. I remember posting on here last winter after I made a 100-mile round trip between Mount Vernon and Columbus on one of those gray, 40-degree winter days when almost nobody is riding. In 100 miles I saw six other motorcycles: one KLR650, one Triumph Bonneville and four Harleys.

There are plenty of Harley-riding posers, but some of the most hard-core riders I've ever known are also on Harleys. Can't paint everyone with the same brush. 

Of course not. We should remember that. We should also remember that the 7 bikes on the road passed 5000 sitting in garages. Half of them Harleys.

edit: I probably passed you in the cold fog one of those days...

Edited by ReconRat