Donate now to an Ohio Family in need! (originally Would OR be interested in adopting a family for the holidays?)

Casper

We do coats for kids, adopt a family, something with stockings and a bunch of others in general. I'll get you some names of the organizations we think seem to have a direct visible impact.

I'd be happy to contribute.

Back when I wore a leather vest with patches on it we would save the money we raised from dues and events and used it to buy Xmas presents for one akron family in need. One that stands out was a woman on pioneer St who spent her last dime on cancer treatment for her little girl. We showed up dressed as santa and his elves and delivered about 3 grand worth of toys games clothes and food. For all the bullshit, drama, fights and nonsense I dealt with while a member of that club we did do some good things for our community.

I'll pledge $50 to start, more if I get some overtime at work. It's the season to give and help out those less fortunate and I intend to do all I can.

• Upvote 1

my $.02

Find a deserving family that someone here actually knows & contribute directly through xmas gifts or food or paying the rent for a month, etc.  That way none of the money is paying telemarketers and the admin staff of some non-profit.

There are some good ones like the ARC.  And there are some bad ones:

http://www.americanownews.com/story/19707005/how-much-of-your-donations-really-go-to-charity

my $.02

Find a deserving family that someone here actually knows & contribute directly through xmas gifts or food or paying the rent for a month, etc. That way none of the money is paying telemarketers and the admin staff of some non-profit.

I agree that what is like to do with what I have in my other thread

Something interesting about non-profits/charities. Depending how slick they are on their financials, they can be misleading. Example: project donate ,100k spent. What was it really? They paid the 2 executives 50k a piece to figure out where to donate the charity funds. Shouldn't that be an administrative expense? Answer: yes. But you wouldn't know that.

Edited by Gump

• 4 weeks later...

There's a family in my city, dad drives an ambulance, mom is unemoloyed, they have 8 kids and can't afford xmas. She posted on a Facebook virtual garage sale page asking if anyone knew of an organization that adopts families for the holidays. Of course she will need to be vetted but sounds like a good family to help out.

At this time of year many churches places names of needy families, or a child's name and age, on an ornament on a tree.  Parishioners are asked to pick an ornament to help with a meal and presents.  I don't attend church any more, but I'm sure any Catholic, Lutheran, etc. church would be happy to put you in touch with a needy family or families.  Another source may be a local woman's or family shelter or contact a city prosecutor's office to put you in touch with their domestic violence advocates.

• 2 weeks later...

Family in Kettering lost everything yesterday. 4 dead 2 children the mother and grandfather. 3 survived 2 daughters and the father who is in ICU. I work with the brother of the guy in ICU. The kids are 8 and 13 both girls they need clothing, they need everything!

http://www.whio.com/news/news/multiple-houses-burning-kettering/ncJPG/

Edited by snot

The girls are staying with my coworker (their uncle). The real story is far to heart breaking to post. It was accidentally and O2 was the accelerant. It is a true tragic. This is a very close family and usually full of the Christmas spirit. Keeping them in your prayers, this is all I can really ask.

Edited by snot

Family in Kettering lost everything yesterday. 4 dead 2 children the mother and grandfather. 3 survived 2 daughters and the father who is in ICU. I work with the brother of the guy in ICU. The kids are 8 and 13 both girls they need clothing, they need everything!http://www.whio.com/news/news/multiple-houses-burning-kettering/ncJPG/

Can you get clothing sizes? Would you be willing to collect stuff and get it to them? I'd be willing to send some stuff as long as i know it'll make it to them

This thread has had a lot of good intentions but doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I think we found a deserving / needing family.

• Upvote 3

5/3 bank is taking donations "Mobley family fund"

Men's 2Xl shirts 36x34 pants size 13 shoes

Girls 6/7 size 2 shoe (8 years old)

Juniors girls 10/11 size 10 shoes (13 years old )

Yes I can help and will help.

They need money and gift cards the most, I recommend donating to the fund at 5/3. All 5/3 banks are collecting money. Food and medical will become an issue as well as finding a home. The dad has frost bite on his feet and burns on his legs.

Edited by snot
  • Upvote 2