2014 Harley Street 750 and 500

Hoblick

a radiator and dual disk brakes up front? 

Dare I say, "progress?"

Not according to the HD old guard if their Facebook posts are any indication! LOL, I personally think it's a good move for HD if for no other reason than to bring new customers into their brand and the hobby.  I agree, that white cafe style does look sharp!  I wonder how the pricing will work out and how many are brought to the US.  I also wonder if Sportster owners will rejoice in unified glee - they may no longer be the ones hairy pirates scoff at for riding "girl's bikes!" :-)

I like that white cafe style.

Not too shabby:

2014-Harley-Davidson-Street-EICMA-Show-2

Lots of "purists" bitched when the 848 released with a wet clutch, and I was one of them. Having owned two Ducs equipped with such, I've to say it's a welcomed update. Now, they're discussing ditching belts for chains and air-cooled for purely water-cooled. Essentially, removing the very thin that makes the marque so appealing to a lot of us. I enjoy maintenance appointments with my bikes. Honestly, I almost enjoy servicing them as much as riding them. It sounds dumb, I know...but the simplicity of the Desmo 2-valve is it's biggest draw for some of us. However, those satisfied with our "relics" aren't buying new bikes and people gotta eat. Time tends to change priorities. Harley will piss off a lot of "purists", but they'll attract new buyers that normally wouldn't consider the brand. Also, younger potential owners will appreciate the price points. Not that the Sportster Low isn't a fine bike for a newb, but they're outgrown fairly quick.

Yup, did you see the new Monster 1200 revealed this weekend?  Only remaining air-cooled ducs are the 696 and 796 now.

FYI For the U.S., the new Harley-Davidson Street 750 and Street 500 will be built at our

Kansas City facility, and for select international markets (initially India, Spain, Portugal

and Italy), the Harley-Davidson Street 750 and Street 500 will be built at our facility in

Bawal, India.

Harley's never win on specs, they win on their lifestyle and the story they've crafted together into a premium brand. To the credit of critics, that's why they are so reluctant to innovate especially into smaller machines - it goes against their tightly laced story and lifestyle.

• Upvote 1

In a global economy it is...

after a bunch of government bailouts it is...

No don't be bringing government bailouts and import tariffs into this - next you'll be saying that HD didn't build success exclusively in their own and that not all their components are American made and that Asian and European bikes beat them in torque, horsepower AND price and that Jap crap will never take off and India and China will never make decent bikes...

Burn the witch!

• Upvote 1

I think HD has no choice.  The EPA is dragging them kicking and screaming into liquid cooling.  Same as with Fuel Injection last decade. 

The chromosexuals...the ones with 3,000 miles on their 6 year old bike, will complain for awhile, then shut up and buy whatever is in the showroom.

I think HD has no choice.  The EPA is dragging them kicking and screaming into liquid cooling.  Same as with Fuel Injection last decade. 

The chromosexuals...the ones with 3,000 miles on their 6 year old bike, will complain for awhile, then shut up and buy whatever is in the showroom.

So why be so crappy at it?

"air cooled" was their last decent excuse as to why they didn't get the same power and torque numbers as their japanese rivals...

for comparison 

2012 Honda Shadow 750 spirit

Power: 44.87HP (33 kW) @ 5500 rpm. Torque: 63 Nm (46.47 lb-ft) @ 3000 rpm.

seems like harley is right on par

These will inevitably get modded for more HP.  What happens when people realize that a 480lb 750 beginner bike is faster than the big twins? 

This things weighs 200lbs less than the 883, makes same or more power, and costs less. 

Why even keep the Sportster around?  Delete the existing sportster line and rename this thing the sportster.

If it is 200 pounds lighter that would make for decent power to weight ratio. If brakes and suspension were decent it would be a fun little bike to beat on. Looks wise I like it from the pics that were posted.