Motorcyclists '23% better' behind the wheel of a car

HeavyDuty

Interesting.  Only downside is they did not adjust for miles driven in the car as a 23% decrease in claim rate could be attributed to 23% decrease in average miles driven in a car, aka the same claim rate per mile driven.  Maybe they did?  Can anyone find the actual study info?

But I like to think we're better anyway!

Edited by smashweights

Interesting.  Only downside is they did not adjust for miles driven in the car as a 23% decrease in claim rate could be attributed to 23% decrease in average miles driven in a car, aka the same claim rate per mile driven.  Maybe they did?  Can anyone find the actual study info?

But I like to think we're better anyway!

Also think it might have something to do with the fact we are always watching for some crazy moves from other drivers.

That and "Biker ESP" as in "I just know that douche is going to change lanes without signaling.....3, 2, 1, yep!"

• Upvote 1

I always felt about 26% better

Actually, I've been saying for years that drivers should have to take a watered down version of the MSF course so they learn some of the things they teach in there like not being in people's blind spot, etc. I know that class alone made me think different (better) as a driver.

Also, there are a number of drivers who only drive because they have to, they have no interest in motoring, they don't care about it at all and only give it enough attention to keep the vehicle in the general direction they want to go... "steerers" if you will.

Motorcyclists are likely more interested in motorized conveyance than the average person, so they spend more energy and focus on it...

Just a thought...

in other words... they are the driving dead.

And the more active safety features they put on cars, the worse it will be.  Active cruise control has already morphed into Volvo cars that you cannot rear-end someone in.  Lane departure warnings will become lane departure prevention.  Those little blind spot warning lights in mirrors will become active prevention too.  The technology isn't that far off where the car won't let you run a red light or run a stop sign.  Won't be long before we're all driving fullsize slot cars. Just hold the gas to the floor and let go of the wheel and bounce off the computer-controlled limits in steering and direction because, heck, the car won't let you do anything dangerous.

And the more active safety features they put on cars, the worse it will be.  Active cruise control has already morphed into Volvo cars that you cannot rear-end someone in.  Lane departure warnings will become lane departure prevention.  Those little blind spot warning lights in mirrors will become active prevention too.  The technology isn't that far off where the car won't let you run a red light or run a stop sign.  Won't be long before we're all driving fullsize slot cars. Just hold the gas to the floor and let go of the wheel and bounce off the computer-controlled limits in steering and direction because, heck, the car won't let you do anything dangerous.

Yup, just a matter of time. I don't know how many people get in my car and ask "don't you get tired of driving stick every day?" And my reply is, "Don't you get tired of doing NOTHING in your car every day?" It is not a chore to drive a manual, it becomes second nature, but people can't be inconvenienced to put down their coffee or make up to do it so it has gone by the way side in favor of automatics and dummy proofing.

Maybe it's just that we won't put our cars where they can get hit. Always having a way out, same as on a bike. Everyone in front of me isn't going to get away, or get there faster.

Watched a lady turn left today, using the wrong side of the road on both roads. I had to stop short to stay out of the way. She completely cut the corner, getting a couple of feet away from the wrong curb. Always impressed by a car turning where some one can pass it on the wrong side while it's trying to figure out what it's doing...

Edited by ReconRat