Pop mechanics know-it-all car quiz

Gump

For all those who think "the tire manufacturer knows what is best for their tire, moreso than the car manufacturer!"

BB4TJ39.jpg

To be fair I only looked up 3 manufacturers, but you'd probably find the same story elsewhere. 

Edited by fizzer

The tire manufacturers make certain sized tires that can be used on a variety of vehicles.  The auto manufacturer determines the proper inflation level of those tires on their vehicle to maintain the best combination of wear, handling, and ride quality of the vehicle they have designed.  

Over-inflation is much less likely to cause a safety concern as long as it's within the tire manufacturer's spec., than under-inflation as seen in the late 90's with the Ford Explorer tire debacle.

Ask almost anyone working at an auto repair shop, tire shop, or quick-lube place, and they're going to tell you that they go by the tire placard on the vehicle, as they should.

I would probably lose my job if I refused to go by what the tire placard says.  

One more thing to throw into the ring on this discussion is that vehicles with tire pressure monitoring systems may throw the light on if the pressure is too far out of the range that the manufacturer has specified.

The tire manufacturers make certain sized tires that can be used on a variety of vehicles. The auto manufacturer determines the proper inflation level of those tires on their vehicle to maintain the best combination of wear, handling, and ride quality of the vehicle they have designed.

Over-inflation is much less likely to cause a safety concern as long as it's within the tire manufacturer's spec., than under-inflation as seen in the late 90's with the Ford Explorer tire debacle.

Ask almost anyone working at an auto repair shop, tire shop, or quick-lube place, and they're going to tell you that they go by the tire placard on the vehicle, as they should.

I would probably lose my job if I refused to go by what the tire placard says.

One more thing to throw into the ring on this discussion is that vehicles with tire pressure monitoring systems may throw the light on if the pressure is too far out of the range that the manufacturer has specified.

I max out my tires then reset the TPMS light. :)