So where's the Dick Dynasty thread?

Gump

I have muslim friends. Some are 2nd or 3rd generation US and some are fotb. What pokey says about sharia law isn't exactly true. Some of my friends scoff at it, view it as an antiquated fanatic interpretation. One guy follows certain points, like being forbidden to pay interest (he bought his gsxr 1000 back when Zook was having the 0% sale) but not other points (his wife has a job, drives, does not wear a ha jibe etc..) tell me pokey, where do you get your info from on muslims? Is it from a book that had an obvious agenda against them and cites only things that back up that agenda? You seem to have a very narrow world view. Go out, meet new people of different cultures and religions, talk to them about their beliefs...you can't learn everything from books.

• Upvote 2

I love how islam is somehow "more evil" than christianity...

I have many christian family and friends, I have several muslim friends, I have hindu friends, I have wiccan friends, i have pagan family and friends... They're all cool.

Their beliefs are silly, but none of them are evil... (not that i really believe in evil anyway, but as for what you might consider evil)

The majority of the christians I know are pretty lazy in their beliefs, it's more of a "accident of birth" than a real pursuit of spiritual improvement.

The muslim friends I have are by and large the same way. Their parents were muslim, and they were raised muslim.

My hindu friends are generally a little more dedicated to their religion; Sriram, for example, was saving all of his money from working at philips so that he could fly his new wife in to the country to meet her, and complete the wedding ceremony. His parents had chosen her for him, and he was quite excited to finally meet her. He was a great dude to work with, very funny, personable, and very dedicated to his religion. At least once a week, I would hit quiznos for a prime rib and peppercorn, never once did he tell me I shouldn't eat beef, but politely declined every time we invited him to come along. 

My wiccan friends are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. They take their religion very seriously, and act compassionately towards everyone... literally the MOST helpful people i know.

The pagans I know are pretty laid back. They believe in some pretty wacky stuff regarding crystals and whatnot, but they don't hurt anyone.

Point is, whether they believe in a sandal clad hippie stoner god, a ultra-conservative mystical bearded man in the sky, a cow god, a goddess of nature, or some mystical as yet unknown recycling of human souls, they're all cool people, even if I think their beliefs are absurd.

So to be clear, no one has provided an example of the court allowing a frivolous lawsuit based on hurt feelings.

But it's still the courts' faults <eye roll>

Ok you got me there, I humbly concede to your victory. :) I guess the real problem lies in all the money and time that is being tied up in the courts from all the out of control frivolous lawsuits. I wonder how much more quickly and efficient the courts would be able to get through cases and lawsuits of actual merit, were the courts not even willing to hear out the many preposterous claims? Would that not be a contributing factor as to why it takes so long for many important pending cases to make it to trial? I know there are countries where people are awarded money over ridiculous claims, at least it appears we are not to that point yet.

I have muslim friends. Some are 2nd or 3rd generation US and some are fotb. What pokey says about sharia law isn't exactly true. Some of my friends scoff at it, view it as an antiquated fanatic interpretation. One guy follows certain points, like being forbidden to pay interest (he bought his gsxr 1000 back when Zook was having the 0% sale) but not other points (his wife has a job, drives, does not wear a ha jibe etc..) tell me pokey, where do you get your info from on muslims? Is it from a book that had an obvious agenda against them and cites only things that back up that agenda? You seem to have a very narrow world view. Go out, meet new people of different cultures and religions, talk to them about their beliefs...you can't learn everything from books.

I have friends from all walks of life Sam, and maybe I have in fact actually met and talked to previous Muslims that are now Christians? I plainly stated that sharia law is not fully followed by the moderates, but that is very much frowned upon by the strict followers "and there are MANY". Islam is not compatible with Western civilization in many forms, it is a belief that is intolerant to other beliefs. Go ahead and say Christianity and Judaism is the same in that regard, but it simply is not true. Yes you have those that are intolerant in ways, but they are not going to the extent that Islam is worldwide with their laws, violence against infidels, and religious purification. If you think I am narrow minded then so be it, I am totally fine with that and will make no apologies for it. Are you so trusting and accepting of everyone that you take everything they say and believe as "the truth"? So what if I have a huge distrust and am extremely leery of a particular belief system, am I so different from many others? Nothing wrong with being cautious and questioning the motives of a person or group, I see that as being in survival mode. 

I still don't see sharia law as any threat to the US. Case in point: that Amish guy samuel yoder...or maybe it was Yost. ..The one that went on a beard shaving rampage because some members of the church weren't living to his expectations. He was found guilty in a court of assault because you can't go around pretending the laws of your religious sect supercede that of the land. Any attempt by Islamic clerics to impose their own laws and justice will be met with the same efforts provided they are reported.

• Upvote 2

samuel mullet, and excellent point... sometimes religions DO get special treatment regarding the circumventing of the law, but rarely, and almost never when it involves other people who are not part of the religion in question.