tro.aimee

So what's on the calendar for sportbike riders in and around Columbus for 2014? What events are you looking forward to? What would you like to see more of from dealers and local businesses as far as getting groups of riders out and about? I ask because most events I attend seem to consist of mostly vtwins - there have to be events that focus on sportbikes that I am just not aware of. What about bike shows? Do you find that there are classes for metric bikes? if there were, would you bring your bike and your friends out?  Do you bring your sportbike out to poker runs and such?   

I dont enter bike shows, my bike is more function over form.....but I'd go to one and check out the cool rides. I dont do poker runs, rather only stop for fuel/food/scenery when its a must.

Members host group rides once in a while, keep your eyes peeled in the EVENTS.....especially the Southeast Ohio area, good riding down there.

• Upvote 1

I dont enter bike shows, my bike is more function over form.....but I'd go to one and check out the cool rides. I dont do poker runs, rather only stop for fuel/food/scenery when its a must.

Members host group rides once in a while, keep your eyes peeled in the EVENTS.....especially the Southeast Ohio area, good riding down there.

Thank you for the input! 

tro.aimee if this is for your magazine http://www.thunderroadsohio.com/, I think it's highly cool you're stretching out beyond the Harley market core - I think it's awesome and hope we can be of assistance!

Events....  I'll probably attend the Cleveland motorcycle show in a couple weeks to tame the winter no-ride blues.  There's an adventure-tourer gathering in Romney WV in May that I'm really looking forward to, and I'll attend Mountainfest in Morgantown WV if the vintage bike event returns.  Speaking of, there will be another vintage Japanese motorcycle (VJMC) event this summer - last year it was in Iron Pony's parking lot, and now that my '85 CB700SC is done, I'll likely enter it in a "restored" class.  And of course Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio will surely get me - I really dig old bikes and the people who keep them running.

Like Helmutt, I don't do poker runs, especially if there are bars involved - I don't want to be party to another rider killing themselves and leaving family to justify more "fallen rider" poker runs, and that whole manufactured tough-guy brothers-in-arms thing doesn't appeal to me.  Plus, for safety reasons I don't cosplay and say "argh" when I ride, which leaves me feeling a bit unaccepted at typical cruiser events where helmets and body armor are scarce.  And any sport bike gathering which glamorizes squid-ness is off my list.

For me, motorcycling is about getting out of the house and enjoying the scenery and interacting with smart people who wrench their own bikes and are always learning and sharing what they know.  Events (and articles) that dig into the more zen aspects of riding appeal to me, hence my budding vintage and adventure bent.

tro.aimee if this is for your magazine http://www.thunderroadsohio.com/, I think it's highly cool you're stretching out beyond the Harley market core - I think it's awesome and hope we can be of assistance!

Events....  I'll probably attend the Cleveland motorcycle show in a couple weeks to tame the winter no-ride blues.  There's an adventure-tourer gathering in Romney WV in May that I'm really looking forward to, and I'll attend Mountainfest in Morgantown WV if the vintage bike event returns.  Speaking of, there will be another vintage Japanese motorcycle (VJMC) event this summer - last year it was in Iron Pony's parking lot, and now that my '85 CB700SC is done, I'll likely enter it in a "restored" class.  And of course Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio will surely get me - I really dig old bikes and the people who keep them running.

Like Helmutt, I don't do poker runs, especially if there are bars involved - I don't want to be party to another rider killing themselves and leaving family to justify more "fallen rider" poker runs, and that whole manufactured tough-guy brothers-in-arms thing doesn't appeal to me.  Plus, for safety reasons I don't cosplay and say "argh" when I ride, which leaves me feeling a bit unaccepted at typical cruiser events where helmets and body armor are scarce.  And any sport bike gathering which glamorizes squid-ness is off my list.

For me, motorcycling is about getting out of the house and enjoying the scenery and interacting with smart people who wrench their own bikes and are always learning and sharing what they know.  Events (and articles) that dig into the more zen aspects of riding appeal to me, hence my budding vintage and adventure bent.

I have a particular interest in sportbikes and vintage bikes so I am pushing hard to expand our coverage of those markets.  I am always looking for events to cover and cool bikes to feature in the magazine. I leave the vtwin coverage to our other contributors.  So please feel free to send any info you throughout the year. I am new to Columbus, but spent some time at the Vintage Days. What a great event! I have also heard about the event at Iron Pony and will be planning to attend.  Thanks for responding! 

• Upvote 2

So what's on the calendar for sportbike riders in and around Columbus for 2014? What events are you looking forward to? What would you like to see more of from dealers and local businesses as far as getting groups of riders out and about?

I'm looking forward to more track time in 2014. I would like to see more dealers supporting/hosting track days. Offering track time discounts would be a great way to not only entice more riders seeking skill improvement via a safe and regulated track facility, but also dealers setting up at the track to sell sportbike related equipment and protective gear would help inflate their sales a bit. Not to mention the positive publicity for those dealers in doing so. I'd consider shopping a local dealer that supported my new habit before just ordering online to save some coin. Just a thought.

• Downvote 1

I'm looking forward to more track time in 2014. I would like to see more dealers supporting/hosting track days. Offering track time discounts would be a great way to not only entice more riders seeking skill improvement via a safe and regulated track facility, but also dealers setting up at the track to sell sportbike related equipment and protective gear would help inflate their sales a bit. Not to mention the positive publicity for those dealers in doing so. I'd consider shopping a local dealer that supported my new habit before just ordering online to save some coin. Just a thought.

Track days... you know, I don't think enough dealers even consider track days.  Where are the tracks you like to ride at? I only really know of Mid-Ohio. 

Track days... you know, I don't think enough dealers even consider track days. Where are the tracks you like to ride at? I only really know of Mid-Ohio.

The list of tracks on my list are all out of state other than MidOhio, but there's Putnam Park, Autobahn Country Club, Road America, Grattan, Gingerman, Virginia International, NOLA, Barber, Road Atlanta, Jennings. These are just the eastern US tracks, but I've got Laguna Seca and Miller on my bucket list though ;)

Honestly, the only thing I want from a dealer is honest wrenching at reasonable prices. $100/hour is a bit ridiculous.

THAT is ridiculous for motorcycle service rates. $100/hr is class 8 truck wrench rates! $50-70/hr would be much more reasonable while still being extremely profitable. Edited by Hellmutt
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any bike nights around that get more sport riders? QSL gets a handful, but that makes me wonder where all the metric riders hang out. It would be cool to help out with a metric focused bike night.

I'll second that, tro.aimee. I'm putting together an Ohio chapter of a sportbike motorcycle club in hopes to find fellow metric riders to meet up with. PM me if you're interested in learning more. If you'd like to put meets together, I'd be more than happy to help!

I'll second that, tro.aimee. I'm putting together an Ohio chapter of a sportbike motorcycle club in hopes to find fellow metric riders to meet up with. PM me if you're interested in learning more. If you'd like to put meets together, I'd be more than happy to help!

Our store is definitely looking to participate more with events or rides. If we can open our doors as a meeting place or help put together a ride, i would be more than happy to help with any ideas. Maybe in the spring time have a Ohio Riders open-house then a ride afterwards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Are there any bike nights around that get more sport riders? QSL gets a handful, but that makes me wonder where all the metric riders hang out. It would be cool to help out with a metric focused bike night. 

We stay at home. As we don't fall into the sport bike or the harley crowd. As I cannot drag me knee, or drink beer like it's my job. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Anything to do with enjoying my bike and the ride is where I plan to be in 2014. There's the Ohio Mile in Wilmington, Kilkare dragstrip in Xenia, National Trail in Columbus, Edgewater in Cincinnati, Norwalk in North Central Ohio, Mid Ohio Sports Car Course for the AMA Superbikes and Vintage Days, many cruise ins around Ohio and a few Vintage motorcycle shows to attend. In that regard my dance card is full. During the winter I celebrate garage season by building bikes to attend these tracks and events.

As an idea for an article or series of articles you may want to focus on average guys and the stuff they build or maintain on their garages during the winter months.

Edited by 2fat2fly
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/eurobikenight

Grandview Euro Bike Night. Lots of Japanese bikes too........I would say it is geared less for the chrome/loud pipe crowd and more for the euro/sport/café/adventure riders.

There is also a café racer night in downtown Dublin the first Monday of each month IIRC.

As other members have stated, a lot of sport riders on here typically either meet up for group rides in SEO on weekends or hit the track. Maybe you could come along on one of our jaunts toward the wva line some fine Saturday afternoon. It's a hell of a good time, especially if nobody wrecks. I've been on a few of these and learned things both times. Not sure how much there would be to write about other than the range of ages and personalities that share a passion for twisty roads and sticky tires. Also I don't know what you ride or what your skill level is so not sure if it would be in your wheelhouse or not but I'm sure you'd be a welcome addition. Only real photo ops would be at gas stops and they would be mostly of grinning, sweaty dudes.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/eurobikenight

Grandview Euro Bike Night. Lots of Japanese bikes too........I would say it is geared less for the chrome/loud pipe crowd and more for the euro/sport/café/adventure riders.

There is also a café racer night in downtown Dublin the first Monday of each month IIRC.

Thank you, IP! I'm looking into attending

Anything to do with enjoying my bike and the ride is where I plan to be in 2014. There's the Ohio Mile in Wilmington, Kilkare dragstrip in Xenia, National Trail in Columbus, Edgewater in Cincinnati, Norwalk in North Central Ohio, Mid Ohio Sports Car Course for the AMA Superbikes and Vintage Days, many cruise ins around Ohio and a few Vintage motorcycle shows to attend. In that regard my dance card is full. During the winter I celebrate garage season by building bikes to attend these tracks and events.

As an idea for an article or series of articles you may want to focus on average guys and the stuff they build or maintain on their garages during the winter months.

I will be attending at least one event in Wilmington, and hopefully a few at Mid-Ohio.  

We are working on a Backyard Build series - and now that you mention it, this would be a good place to request submissions. :)

Our store is definitely looking to participate more with events or rides. If we can open our doors as a meeting place or help put together a ride, i would be more than happy to help with any ideas. Maybe in the spring time have a Ohio Riders open-house then a ride afterwards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's a great idea! 

As other members have stated, a lot of sport riders on here typically either meet up for group rides in SEO on weekends or hit the track. Maybe you could come along on one of our jaunts toward the wva line some fine Saturday afternoon. It's a hell of a good time, especially if nobody wrecks. I've been on a few of these and learned things both times. Not sure how much there would be to write about other than the range of ages and personalities that share a passion for twisty roads and sticky tires. Also I don't know what you ride or what your skill level is so not sure if it would be in your wheelhouse or not but I'm sure you'd be a welcome addition. Only real photo ops would be at gas stops and they would be mostly of grinning, sweaty dudes.

Photo ops are photo ops ;)   I'd probably opt to be a passenger to get more photos or some videos for Instagram.  Please keep me in the loop as far as when you plan to go. Our readers love to know about great rides - if you would like to contribute an article on a particular route you love we'd love to publish it. 

We are working on a Backyard Build series - and now that you mention it, this would be a good place to request submissions. :)

I don't have a submission, but I'm looking forward to the series, especially if it's sprinkled with tips.