Just 5 AMA Superbike rounds in 2014?

motociclista

No television package (yet, at least). The title sponsor bailed. Michael Jordan has bailed, Buell has bailed. The defending Superbike champion is fleeing to Moto2. 

And now the AMA announces the 2014 Superbike schedule will consist of five rounds (maybe six) which is less than half of what we've had in most recent years.

The AMA press release, which does a great job of trying to cheerfully pad the limited news of a five-race schedule with wordiness, is here.

My less cheerful take on the topic is here, if you can stomach reading more. *Sigh*

Hard to believe that the AMA is in such a sad state. AMA roadracing today doesn't appear to be with it. But they should plod along. Maybe one day it will be like the 90's again. Doubtful but what do you do? Quit? I really don't follow it and haven't since the early 2000's. I guess there are a lot who have bailed as well.

It's a building year. Each of the 9 races will be a dogfight. I like it. Not as good as it was but still should be a good show.

Optimist here.

As a fan, I appreciate your support of the sport. 

We may or may not have nine great races in 2014, but here's the key thing that a lot of people, including the so-called experts in Daytona, don't seem to grasp.

Having tight, close racing is not enough to ensure success. Just about any summer weekend, somewhere in the U.S. there's a club race with a real dogfight and a close finish. Nobody sees it.

If there's no TV coverage for AMA Superbike, how long will sponsors keep paying to expose their brand? A fan in California (I hear there's a few people who ride in California) would have to travel two time zones just to see a Superbike race, as the schedule now stands. Why would a sponsor be willing to accept zero exposure in two thirds of the country? 

It takes more than close racing, which is why 10 or 20 times as many people pay to see Ryan Villopoto win a Supercross race by 20 seconds than pay to watch flat-track racing that is known for close finishes and tight racing.

2014 may be a building year for Superbike. I'm just worried about what it's building toward.

I don't know their business structure, but I assume they make the majority of their money from sponsorship, then ticket sales and entry fees are just gravy.

The alternative (I.e. what club orgs do) is te exact opposite... Make 90% of their money from entry fees, and then the rest from gate and sponsor agreements.

Is the AMA shifting to the latter really a horrible thing? There will certainly be more racers who can afford a "full" 5-weekend schedule.

That might even build an audience base. I'm not too discouraged. I like watching AMA pro, but I don't care if the riders have day jobs. And I'll always choose riding over spectating.

Wow...

Some of the best times I have ever had was at the track. Watching the races is what inspired me to get on the track. Every time I see a race I feel the urge to do another track day. I am grateful we still have mid Ohio. Honestly, I fear what this will do not just to the sport but to the motorcycle industry. My inspiration is from watching the races in person and on TV. I really hope this is not the death of AMA Superbike.

I now have a new goal, endurance racing :).

The US motorcycle industry as a whole does not rely on the success or failure of AMA Pro Road Racing.  We will all still have motorcycles to ride and options to choose from whether there is racing or not.  

In other news, a formal announcement as to our 2014 plans is coming soon :D

9U6icxN.jpg

Is the AMA shifting to the latter really a horrible thing? 

Yes.  It's horrible.  Losing sponsors and interest from factory teams isn't a shift in business strategy to a grass roots race series.  They are losing respect and interest from the companies that were once willing to provide financial support.  That's not sustainable in any business model.

Less prize money is available.  Fewer factory rides are available.  This will chase talent from AMA to other series...Herrin to Moto2, EBR is moving the Hero Teams of May &  Yates to WSBK, PJ Jacobson is racing BSB, etc, etc.

I hope AMA has something big to announce, or someone like WERA steps up with a pro series.

Can't wait to hear what you guys have in store this year!! It'll be nice to finally be back in the paddock myself and get out on the track a bit.  You know I'm always willing to help you guys out at any of the closer rounds. :hello:   You still have that M3?  I picked up my own e36 sedan m3 that i'll have at mid-o hahaha

The US motorcycle industry as a whole does not rely on the success or failure of AMA Pro Road Racing.  We will all still have motorcycles to ride and options to choose from whether there is racing or not.  

9U6icxN.jpg

Nope the M3 is gone, he's moved on to a 911.  Drew, send me a PM with your contact info so I can forward it on to our team manager. 

It'll be quite a good surprise I believe.  I've been giddy about it for a few weeks now, it'll be nice to finally reveal.  

Wow...

Some of the best times I have ever had was at the track. Watching the races is what inspired me to get on the track. Every time I see a race I feel the urge to do another track day. I am grateful we still have mid Ohio. Honestly, I fear what this will do not just to the sport but to the motorcycle industry. My inspiration is from watching the races in person and on TV. I really hope this is not the death of AMA Superbike.

I now have a new goal, endurance racing :).

I always loved seeing AMA on CBS sports this year. Even if they were reruns I always watched them, they even had a marathon of all the races on a couple weeks ago.

Not that it had to be AMA, I will watch any of it. I remember the British superbikes being on before as well.

Edited by Jester_

I think that bike will surprise some people.  It did well at Macau.  I think they HAVE to develop some more top end power and get a good electronics package together to maximize the torque these bikes make.

We don't have CBS Sports :(.

I know that the motorcycle industry doesn't rely on AMA. I just know it does influence young riders and in some cases inspires new riders. Especially when you hang out at the track for a weekend watching the pros draging knees.

Yes.  It's horrible.  Losing sponsors and interest from factory teams isn't a shift in business strategy to a grass roots race series.  They are losing respect and interest from the companies that were once willing to provide financial support.  That's not sustainable in any business model.

Less prize money is available.  Fewer factory rides are available.  This will chase talent from AMA to other series...Herrin to Moto2, EBR is moving the Hero Teams of May &  Yates to WSBK, PJ Jacobson is racing BSB, etc, etc.

I hope AMA has something big to announce, or someone like WERA steps up with a pro series.

I'm not as convinced as you are that this is a horrible fate for the AMA.  The sponsor money is either there to support racing, or it's not - the dollars available are not contingent upon which or how many racing series exist in the US.   If AMA pro Racing cancelled its season tomorrow, all the sponsors would still have the money they intended to spend with AMA pro available.  Whether or not they chose to spend it with WERA instead is their call.

But I'm not un-optimistic that that's what would happen.  "Club" racing is only club-level because it doesn't offer a big enough payout for anyone to do it full-time.  If the prize money jumps, all of the sudden WERA becomes a "club" racing org with pros competing in it.  That's fine by me.  Bring back the days of having factory pro riders at the WERA national rounds.   If the pros show up and take all the purse money, it's purse money that the club level guys weren't getting last year anyway.  I don't see the harm in it.  What I do see is an opportunity for up and coming young racers to not only watch their heroes race, but to pit a hundred feet away from them, and grid up on the same weekend. 

I have no illusions or aspirations of racing motorcycles for a living, but I think that I have a legitimate shot at some day having an expert license with WERA, and maybe being able to stay on the lead lap with professional caliber riders on the track.  AMA Pro Racing folding would certainly put that goal more within reach.

9U6icxN.jpg

Anxiously awaiting this announcement today.... hehehehe. 

itd be cool to see ya'll back in Superbike again... Had a blast with everyone when they brought Russell over for Mid-Oh on the R1 a few years ago... No matter what it is, I'm sure there'll be a ton of people other than myself pulling for the RD crew! :loltroll:  :flag:

• Upvote 1