40 round magazines.

idodishez

If I understand correctly, it is legal in Ohio to own, buy, or sell a 40rd magazine. But the second you load it w more than 31

rounds or install it into your rifle it becomes illegal and turns your semi auto into a machine gun. Is that accurate?

This space intentionally left blank to avoid offending anyone

You can own it, just don't use it. I've also read that if you own a forty round AR mag, but no AR, the prosecution would have a hard time charging you with it but if you own a forty round mag AND an AR that will accept it, they could say that common sense says you could or likely did use it in that rifle. INAL

(E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

If you have a forty round mag with only 30 in it , and one in the chamber (30+1 is legal) the magazine is still illegal because it will hold more than the allowed 30 rounds even if it's not full.INAL

Edited by chevysoldier

This is what the law says:

"'Automatic firearm' means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. 'Automatic firearm' also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges." Id.

Is it worth 10 grand minimum in attorney fees to find out?

So the next dumb question would be, can you register it as an NFA item in Ohio.  True NFA "Automatic firearms" are legal in Ohio.  Why not a magazine that they claim turns a standard firearm into an "automatic" one.  I have always wanted to purchase a snail drum mag for my Luger pistol.  It makes the gun 32+1 but our dumb laws continue to jam a brother up.