Columbia Gas asking customers to conserve

Casper

We're on a heat pump with propane back-up, which can be a PITA, but at least I can "see" how much fuel we're using (and its nauseating).   Called my propane guy earlier this morning to ask about pricing.  Typically about $2.49/ gallon +/-.  Its now $4.39.  The house is now cooler than typical...

There are going to be a LOT of people with sticker shock when they get their natural gas bill next month.  They have no idea how much they're using daily, nor what the cost will be.

On the bright side, he said that this weather is supposed to break next week, and that Feb is supposed to be warmer than typical, so hang in there.  

Yeah, a wood stove would be nice.

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

This made me laugh.

why?

I can only speak from a drilling and pipe-lining stand point but we work in Ohio, PA and WV. Ohio has 2-3 times as many laws, regulations and rules than both PA and WV. They are slower at permitting and also are extremely picky in how they allow permits to be processed. It is a giant waste of time and money thus inflating the cost for everyone

Edited by Bad324

Why do you say they are over regulated?

I ninja edited this in while you replied which is a start:

I can only speak from a drilling and pipe-lining stand point but we work in Ohio, PA and WV. Ohio has 2-3 times as many laws, regulations and rules than both PA and WV. They are slower at permitting and also are extremely picky in how they allow permits to be processed. It is a giant waste of time and money thus inflating the cost for everyone

You boys are getting raped on propane. I bought my tank from Amerigas in the fall of '12. I just topped off last week for $2/gal.

I can't argue with you, and have researched buying my own tank.  We bought this house when it was two years old, and the builder must have made a deal with the propane company.  The price to buy and replace their tank is roughly equal to the amount of $$$ we'd save over the time we plan on staying here (I'd sell this house tomorrow if I could). 

The whole "we own the tank, you have to buy from us" is bullcrap, PLUS I have to pay $50/ year to "rent" the tank.   I don't like it, but it is what it is.    I've shopped around here and there over the past few years as far as switching suppliers/ getting my own tank, and even in the middle of summer, I've never seen less than $2.39/ gallon.  

You're a lucky man. 

Another thing that is over regulated is training. Some of these guys have to test 2-3x per year for various pipelining tasks that they've been doing the exact same way for 5, 10, 20+ years. It is a HUGE waste of time and money. They still get paid while doing this training, which in turn costs us more non-productive labor hours, so we charge Columbia those labor hours which in turn gets passed on to Ohio residents in the form of price increases. When we've got an average of 100 guys spending about 40 hrs a year on training earning their full rate which is anywhere from $20-$75/hr that is a good chunk of change. Now multiply that by the rest of the contractors that work for them who also have anywhere from 50-200 employees, and that is just pipeline contractors!

All because of a regulation that in theory is supposed to make the industry safer and sounds all good until you get down to the dollars and cents of it

I've only been doing this a few years and can only go by experience and things I've heard around the office so I'm not gonna sit here and pretend I'm the all knowing Master of Natural Gas but like a lot of different industries, the more the Government butts their noses into it the more likely it is that things are gonna get screwed up

Mine I guess. It's from the 40's. The DNR's been out to inspect and said it happens. I tried to get them to fix it on the orphan well program but they don't seem to care. It did my part.

Mine I guess. It's from the 40's. The DNR's been out to inspect and said it happens. I tried to get them to fix it on the orphan well program but they don't seem to care. It did my part.

Ah that was what I was going to suggest! I'm not terribly shocked that was their reply

Ya they really didn't care. I inquired twice. I put a metal bucket under it. Kinda makes more of a mess now cause it overflows but I can use it to start fires. Would be cool stick hose down there and start pumping it out though.

Tree farmer hit one of his one day that was capped and they had 200' foot flames for a while.

Edited by Gump