Wired Magazine Looks at Phenomenon of Mulholland's Crashes

Agent3012

Wired Magazine just posted an article on The LA Road That Tricks Bad Motorcycle Riders about a picturesque curve known as "Edwards' Corner" on Mulholland Highway in California.

This curve attracts photographers and motorcyclists alike, but it also seems to be a common spot for crashes. You may have seen examples from rnickeymouse's Youtube channel like these:

It's amazing how such a small curve can attract so many bad riding decisions.

I've watched so many youtube clips of this corner. Many chuckles have been had.

I think it's everyone tries to show off since so many people are watching and end up riding outside their abilities. Especially if it's their first time through the corner.

Wrong tool for the job.

Not enough ground clearance for the HD.  The hard parts levered the rear wheel off the ground. 

Plus, the guy doesn't really know how to corner.  He's a little crossed up & dragging the foot super motard style.  If he was hanging off a little (if you can do that with forward mounted floorboards), he may have had enough ground clearance to make it through the corner.

Edited by Tpoppa

Things I noticed

1. He was not looking through the turn.

2. He was pushing the bike over

3. He bicycle steered just before the crash.

4. His finger was on the front brake.

5. He goosed it when he lost grip.

Edited by zx3vfr

The playlist has crashes with every type of bike from 

to 
. There are also 
 and 

So many of those videos show guys doing just fine, but gun it on the way out before they've straightened up (probably to show off), and spin the rear tire. Poor bikes.

I've heard many different theories, it's likely that with all the different types of crashes there's no single culprit other than people riding above their skill levels in a popular corner for photographers. That said, there does appear to be a camber change on the road as it levels out just at the end of the turn where many start their late acceleration.

Edited by Agent3012