HVAC Help!

M_Quick

Furnace is old 70's model Lennox. Yea I know it should be replaced one day, but highest gas bill this winter so far is under $100.00. Anyways the fan blower stopped shutting off last night. I'm guessing it's the fan relay. I replaced this once around 8 yrs ago, with a multiple pin relay. Can this just be a bad pin or does the whole relay need replaced.  Or might it be just in the t-stat fan switch? I'm thinking fan relay in furnace again. Nowhere to buy one till Monday, last time I tried to get it at Sear's heating and cooling. They advertise parts for sale, but every time I go in there with the model # they refuse to sale parts and tell me I need a new furnace. 

So asking if you may agree it's the relay. If so where can i get one, or can I just try moving the leads to another pin? Or if it's probably another problem. Right now I really cant afford a new furnace, although I know it's needed. Thanks...

Sounds like you could move it to a different pin granted you gave one open. Could also be a bad signal from the flame sensor or an error on the control board. Does the problem persist after cutting power to the furnace and turning back on?

Sounds like you could move it to a different pin granted you gave one open. Could also be a bad signal from the flame sensor or an error on the control board. Does the problem persist after cutting power to the furnace and turning back on?

Flame sensor and control board, sounds a little modern for this old Lennox. Yes problem was continuing, after cutting power on and off. That's how we were running it all weekend! Let house cool to 70, switch on and let it run till 82! And cut off, and repeat what a pita. 

It could be anything from a rely to the motor its self. If you like text or call me 6143818413. You can wire the motor directly to 120 volts and that will at least get you heat if it is the relay

Thanks for the offer and all the help from other's. Turns out the fan limit switch was stuck. Do you happen to have access for one of theses, or are they not generic like the fan relay's?. 

70-82?!?!?!?

Damn, wish I sold you gas. Our thermostat stays at 65 in the Winter and 73 in the summer. Slippers and blankets are cheap, natural gas isnt.

Last month bill was $79.92. And what would you suggest with the current situation just stay by the switch, or run up and down the stairs every 5-10 mins ? And 73 in the summer I'd like to sale you electric! We keep ours at 78 during the day and 75 at night in the summer. 65 degrees in the winter don't fly with young kids in the house. 

pexsupply.com

Seriously largest inventory I've ever seen very fast shipping and coupon codes all over the internet.

I will check it out thanks for link..Struck out a Sears, and a few other places. I tried tapping it and the fan shut off, then the furnace cycled like 5 times okay, Then stuck again, so I tapped it one more time and "knock on wood" it has been cycling all day since early am today okay! I know at the least I need the new part. Also know I need to update the furnace soon! I will be looking into places that finance whole house system's. I remember when i moved into this house friends lol at my outdoor ac unit. But it still chills in the summer, I've replaced the capacitor once and fan motor once, a burnt wire here and there, cleaned the A coil. Not bad for a dinosaur system. Also replaced the blower bearings in furnace once. 

Last month bill was $79.92. And what would you suggest with the current situation just stay by the switch, or run up and down the stairs every 5-10 mins ? And 73 in the summer I'd like to sale you electric! We keep ours at 78 during the day and 75 at night in the summer. 65 degrees in the winter don't fly with young kids in the house.

I will check it out thanks for link..Struck out a Sears, and a few other places. I tried tapping it and the fan shut off, then the furnace cycled like 5 times okay, Then stuck again, so I tapped it one more time and "knock on wood" it has been cycling all day since early am today okay! I know at the least I need the new part. Also know I need to update the furnace soon! I will be looking into places that finance whole house system's. I remember when i moved into this house friends lol at my outdoor ac unit. But it still chills in the summer, I've replaced the capacitor once and fan motor once, a burnt wire here and there, cleaned the A coil. Not bad for a dinosaur system. Also replaced the blower bearings in furnace once.

If you tapped the relay the relay is definitely sticking, either pull it out and spray some wd40 inside it or get a new one. I've changed so many relays in furnaces I keep a few on hand for where I work. And I keep pretty much my entire furnace in parts in my house, gives me peace of mind especially during a winter like this.

I actually picked up an 80's furnace that is so efficient it's vented with plastic pipe. My house which was built in 2004 isn't even that efficient......

Edited by zx3vfr

Turns out the fan limit switch was stuck. Do you happen to have access for one of theses, or are they not generic like the fan relay's?. 

If you tapped the relay the relay is definitely sticking, either pull it out and spray some wd40 inside it or get a new one. I've changed so many relays in furnaces I keep a few on hand for where I work. 

It wasn't the relay but the fan limit switch. Still cycling okay today!!! Can you wd-40 the limit switches to? Or is that what you meant, cause I'm not so sure about spraying the relay's but idk much about electronics. 

It wasn't the relay but the fan limit switch. Still cycling okay today!!! Can you wd-40 the limit switches to? Or is that what you meant, cause I'm not so sure about spraying the relay's but idk much about electronics.

Ya wd can be used on any electrical part without worry, it was designed for marine use in the military, it's not a good lubricant, but it can free sticky parts and is 100% safe to use on electrical components. I use to spray it inside wiring harness connectors any time I unplugged a component when I work for bmw.

It's not going to be a permanent solution but it will buy you time, probably through the rest of the cold, or until you can get a new part, but it might be wise to think about a new furnace, you'd be suprised how much better they are

That limit is a relay/switch. All have the same basic function. Just buy one from one of the sites I sent ya andstart ssaving for a new furnace. I could probably upgrade ya for under 2k

Under 2k, is that including the AC unit? probably not but had to ask. When we do bite the bullet and upgrade, we will most likely have to go with a company that finances. 

It's like an old british car, gauge gives you bad news you just tap on it until it gives you good news....

lol

Ya wd can be used on any electrical part without worry, it was designed for marine use in the military, it's not a good lubricant, but it can free sticky parts and is 100% safe to use on electrical components. I use to spray it inside wiring harness connectors any time I unplugged a component when I work for bmw.

It's not going to be a permanent solution but it will buy you time, probably through the rest of the cold, or until you can get a new part, but it might be wise to think about a new furnace, you'd be suprised how much better they are

Still working, knock knock, Thanks for the wd-40 trick, 

Joe, FWIW, if we don't sell the house this time around and are staying here for a long time, I will need to consult you on upgrading our setup to something more efficient and setup correctly for the house.  If we do sell the house(hoping), I would want to hire you to come with the home inspection meeting and check the HVAC.  We will chat at a later date, just a heads up.  Naturally I will pay with BJs, HJs, and unlubed anal sex like you prefer over cash.  Weirdo.

• Upvote 1

Home Equity Line of Credit?

Take the tax deduction and get another tax deduction for the equipment upgrade?

That is usually how it goes with large HVAC purchases, people think they are just a low rate loan, but they are actually tied to your residence.  Happened to my friend 2 years ago, lives in a house from the early 1900's.  Company told him what he would have to do and it was something like 30K, he signed the papers, I looked them over, turned out to be a 2nd mortgage on his property.  He had no idea.  (Not saying Joe would do this to anyone he's legit.  But it can/does happen).