Generator Wattage Calculator and Tri-Fuel Generators

chevysoldier

Here is a calculator to help figure out your needed wattage when buying a generator. You really should look at all your appliances and get a more accurate number, but this seems like it'd get you pretty close.

http://www.generatorsales.com/wattage-calculator.asp

This company also sells tri-fuel generators or will convert your carb to run on natural gas, propane or gasoline, I guess for around $200.

http://www.generatorsales.com/

I came across this from this blog post.

http://preparednessadvice.com/fuels/the-advantages-of-tri-fuel-generators-and-how-to-convert-yours/#.UwApsvldWqh

Im a big fan of natural gas and LP generators that tap right into the utility because theres no need to ever refuel them.  I worked for Generac for about 10 years and their HSB generators are great.

If you own your house and plan on staying there for the foreseeable future, that really is the best setup because the generator just sits there and comes on when you need it.  Theres no need to make sure you have fuel on hand, go outside and start it up or run extension cords.  The unit does it all on its own.

Nice find, especially the tri-fuel link.

I ran the calculator, just to see where they say I should be on my set up.  According to the calculator, running my fridge, freezer, well pump, sump pump, furnace fan (fuel oil furnace), home theater equipment, a coffee maker and two light bulbs I need 8600 continuous watts and 17,000 surge.  That's not comparable to my real world experience.

I currently run a 5500 watt gas gen with 8550 surge thru my transfer switch with no problems.  The longest I've run my gen continuously is 10 hours, but I've had it up and running during about six different outages over the past 10 years.  The generator was a c-list find for 350 and the transfer switch was about 75.  Easy to wire into my panel myself with the instructions that came with.  I built a 20 foot power cable that plugs into the 220 twist lock on the generator and into the transfer switch with parts from Home depot.  It's all put away till I need it, where its secured under lock and key.

One thing that I considered when doing this myself...  do I really need an auto gen with an auto transfer switch?  My answer was no.  There is no one in my household that requires environmental systems for life support and thereby continuous electrical support.  If the power goes out, my alarm panel notifies me and I have plenty of time to get home and fire up the generator before my sump well overflows or the freezer defrosts.  We don't need for much more.

Companies like Generac that provide fully installed auto systems do a great job, and I would have one if we had the need.  But I felt that it was substantially more money than I could justify with our families needs and safety concerns.

One lesson learned:  depending on where you're at, if the grid goes down, your cable tv and phone will only last 3 to 4 hours.  The cable feed relies on repeaters that are battery powered and they only last so long.  Have an antennae system in standby for news and weather on the tube.

Their surge calculator is making a worst-case-scenario assumption that your fridge compressor will kick on at the exact same moment as all your other high-draw power needs.

That is the way to be safe and sure, but I have run my fridge and several other low draw appliances on less that that calculator claims is required.

Just let the fridge run on its own for a bit. Once it has done the hard work of getting cooled down, other alliances will barely flicker when the fridge compressor kicks on.

I have a Rigid 6800/8500w and although I haven't had to use it yet, it'll run my fridge, couple lights, space heater or window AC unit, fish tank and a couple other things. Nothing other than maybe my fish tank would need to run constantly so I can always rotate power to what needs it.

I'm interested in converting it though, being able to run off of propane would be nice peace of mind.

Im a big fan of natural gas and LP generators that tap right into the utility because theres no need to ever refuel them. I worked for Generac for about 10 years and their HSB generators are great.

If you own your house and plan on staying there for the foreseeable future, that really is the best setup because the generator just sits there and comes on when you need it. Theres no need to make sure you have fuel on hand, go outside and start it up or run extension cords. The unit does it all on its own.

My parents have a generac at their place and it's been a fantastic investment for them. That's the way I want to go in the future

My parents have a generac at their place and it's been a fantastic investment for them. That's the way I want to go in the future

Glad they like it.  I know that one of the first things Im going to do when I buy a house is to have a HSB generator installed.  Ive only lived in Ohio for 2 years and considering how many extended outages we've already had, lets just say that I dont have much faith in AEP and will be having a backup plan for when they let us down again.