Bell face shields: clarity issues?

YSR_Racer_99

As mentioned recently, I love my new RS1 so far.  I ordered the light tint OEM shield with it.  While riding, it wasn't very crisp/ clear.  Looked like it had a film or something on it.   I tried cleaning it with lens cleaner and a microfiber rag/ towel, but it didn't help at all.

Is this typical for Bell shields?  I'm NOT buying the Transitions shield for it.  Maybe I'm just spoiled by the amazingly clear and correct shields of my Shark lid.  

I ran a Bell as a backup and wore it once to check fitment, didn't have any issues, that was the smoked shield and normal clear, so you may just have gotten a bad batch. 

Kind of like I know Optimal Bodywork has a bad batch every once in a while that needs to be stripped, sanded, and reprimed all the way down, but 90% of the time no issues.  Everything has bad batches at sometime, I'd call the company and see if they can make it right.

My "no fog" coating has started to strip off both of my Bells.

It has created a cloudy finish.

I bought them because they were on closeout from STG, and had a new enough build date that they were WERA legal, but I think I'll be going back to Scorpions next time around...

Had 5 or 6 Bell shilds in my posession at one point, they all looked very good....not perfect, but no serious fog or distortions.

Chris, what were you cleaning them with?  I try to avoid cleaning the inside since it has that coating and feels slightly tacky when you do clean it.

it started peeling before I EVER cleaned it.  I only use water and a paper towel. 

I have just learned to live with it. I basically rubbed the coating off on purpose once it started pealing.  I race with my visor about 1cm open.  allows a nice breeze, and keeps the fog away when i'm sweating.

Call STG or whoever you bought it from and they'll send you a replacement. Same thing happened to me and I called them and got a new one in the mail in a few days. No problems ever since.

Edited by mojocho