Large fire near Nelson Ledges

redkow97

Watching morning news and drinking coffee, and the headline is "firefighter dies in Garrettsville blaze."

Then they showed video of the fire, and it's that bar/grille where a bunch of us have eaten after Saturday practice. Apparently 13 businesses on that street are closed. That's half their down town.

Sucks! We better go back in the spring and spend a little extra...

This is my hometown...went to school in Garrettsville and now my kids do too.  It's a great community.

The Old Mill Restaurant is still there on the south side and is okay.  The fire destroyed the north side of Main Street down on the east end.  One whole block!!!   I know one of the business owners there personally and he is devastated.  Doesn't know what he will do at this time.  Another business there, lawyer, is my parents lawyer, a descent one.  I know of the building owner.  Such a mess and tragedy down there.

My Sister-in-Law owns a store on the south side which was okay.  She had a front row seat.  Hopefully, they rebuild it bigger and better than before.  My heart goes out to the 13 businesses destroyed.

No one hurt but a 2 firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation.

Edited by blue-yamaR6s

My son was a police officer for 7 years in the town here are before and after pictures

the brick building is on the far left side of the top picture. Those buildings were 150 year old tinder boxes

post-16503-0-21522200-1395670009_thumb.j

post-16503-0-04858100-1395670040_thumb.j

post-16503-0-91947800-1395671986_thumb.j

post-16503-0-22335700-1395672009_thumb.j

Edited by HeavyDuty

I don't know if this video link will work or not...reposted from a facebook page of the fire as it started.  See how fast it gets going and consumes that 150 year old wood.  I personally know the guy in the video with the red pickup truck. You will see him go to his truck wondering if he should move it.  He had the tool store on the end down there and lost it all.

Also, a high school friend, his dad took 268 pics of the firefighters battling the blaze.  Captures it all.  His dad was also one of our Science teachers at the school.

https://www.facebook.com/richard.teresi/media_set?set=a.10201634695291058.1073741902.1289142610&type=1

• 2 weeks later...

There were roofers there that day working on the roof.  There were no criminal charges filed against anyone but it was determined to be an accident.  State fire marshall is still investigating.  That roofing company will probably go out of business for sure non the less.  Witnesses said they were using some kind of open flame to melt the tar?  If that is true, they should have been more careful.  Most of the businesses were under-insured and won't be able to rebuild.  Garrettsville will rally though to rebuild it no matter what.