Archers, chime in about lifetime targets

Helmutt

Been surfing AT about building a lifetime target, and wondered if anyone here has built one?  I've got a couple trashbags full of old clothes/rags for packing, and considering buying some target facing from Thirdhand Archery. 

Looks fairly inexpensive compared to store bought models of the same size, and much cheaper to maintain.

I'd like to build a 3'x3' unless someone here has one up for sale :D

Here's the facing supplier I'm talking about

http://www.thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=16'>http://www.thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=16

I built a 4'x4' x10" carpet target couple years ago

after getting tired trying to repair foam/ block targets. I also have a third hand bag target that is filled with old clothes.

They both work great at stopping arrows with field points. I still have a block target I use for broad heads and for stand practice.

I just bought third hand skins over the weekend to build a 3x3 target. I can't decide to do it on a raised platform with a small roof like third hand has done or on castors so it can be moved easily.

I like my carpet target especially when practicing long shots and it has lasted a lot of shots from a lot of different bows/speeds but the downside is that it is extremely heavy

Sent from my DROID RAZR

• Upvote 1

I have no experience with these but please keep us up to date with progress. I am trying to come up with something for my shop...I can shoot up to 60 yards indoors all year round but haven't wanted to spend the $3-$400 a piece on the targets.

I built a 4'x4' x10" carpet target couple years ago

after getting tired trying to repair foam/ block targets. I also have a third hand bag target that is filled with old clothes. They both work great at stopping arrows with field points. I still have a block target I use for broad heads and for stand practice.

I just bought third hand skins over the weekend to build a 3x3 target. I can't decide to do it on a raised platform with a small roof like third hand has done or on castors so it can be moved easily.

I like my carpet target especially when practicing long shots and it has lasted a lot of shots from a lot of different bows/speeds but the downside is that it is extremely heavy

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I've read about carpet targets, but I need something more mobile to stash in the garage or shed when not in use. If it can remain sub-100lbs then I can move it easily enough, and seems 3x3 would suit my needs. I'm sticking with field points for now as I've been out of the compound bow game for 20+ years, and need to get my target practice worked back in before even considering hunting. Afterall, you miss a kill with a broadhead setup, it's damned expensive

I have no experience with these but please keep us up to date with progress. I am trying to come up with something for my shop...I can shoot up to 60 yards indoors all year round but haven't wanted to spend the $3-$400 a piece on the targets.

Wow, yeah I'll never pay $300-$400 for a target when a decent custom build would ( or should ) be less than $100, but then again I'm just going to be occasionally shooting with this lifetime target and doubt broadheads will ever strike it, foam probably would not last long against them. Once I figure out which design to go with, I'll post up a little build thread for anyone interested. I'm not much of a carpenter, but these things are very simplistic to make. It's all in the packing/facing after the box is built.

Thanks for the replies guys, anybody else got info to share on em? Where's our resident pro archers? Beegreenstrings or Ault around??

Edited by Hellmutt

John, I applaud the fact you shoot to raise money for the handicapped....but right now, I'm not even close to being ready to shoot competitively. This year is pure practice for me. We'll see how I bounce back into this since the late 80's :D

Shoot, Hellmutt, I stopped shooting competitively 15 years ago when I took up trad. Been all about the fun ever since. The summer league is just that, a good time shooting at the best club in central Ohio. Maybe even frosty beverages after... Let me know if you want to give it a go!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I used to be very active in the club but that's been quite a few years now. they are a very active club and have a lot of shoots. nice facilities and good people running it. I intend to shoot my recurve in the summer league just to keep in practice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Update - I bought the materials to build the stackfoam target, but haven't put it to use yet. All in, the cost was fair at $85. Ultimately not bad for a 4'x4'x16" that will weigh around 45-50lbs. My local HomeDepot had 4'x8' sheets of 2 inch Foamular 150 and 250, which are both R-10 rated but the differences are the compressed strengths.....150 is 15psi and 250 is 25psi. I went with the 250 since it was only a buck more per sheet and will hopefully tolerate a bit more punishment...? :dunno: so that result will have to present itself after some testing. The cool thing about this style target ( other than the lower price and overall weight ) is that once the center is shot out, loosen the fasteners and replace sections as needed. Other threads I've read boast about good longevity before replacements are needed, so thats encouraging....but I have read some complaints of molten foam occasionally adhering to the arrow shafts. Not sure exactly what brand/material was being used when this was happening, but seemed to be remedied with a pre-practice WD40 rub down on the arrows. I plan to test a small piece of the foam against WD40 before I try that if I run into the same issue. Would hate to see the target melt down from chemical warfare just to keep the arrows clean.

Bill of materials are simply...

(3) sheets Foamular 2"x4'x8' ( I went with 250 for more density, but 150 may suffice pending some trial time/use )

(1) 10' length of 2x12 ( I bought standard cheap frame grade pine since it will be stored inside )

(2) lengths of 1/2" coarse threaded rod ( this may be overkill, but they were out of 3/8" and 5/16" looked a bit thin to me )

(4) 1/2" coarse thread nuts ( I actually bought a fastener pack of 4 nuts and assorted washers in case the wingnuts dont work out )

(4) 1/2" I.D. 2" O.D. fender washers ( helps spread the load across the planks since I'm only using 1 rod per side )

I'll load up pics of the build once I find time this week.

- Post build edit -

I found that @ 16" width, it would take 4 sheets of the Foamular - I went 12" to keep it to 3 sheets. As for overall weight, 45-50lbs was a wishful assumption. Actual weight is more 70-75lbs total, but still manageable for the size of this target. Total cost for materials ended up being $115

Edited by Hellmutt

Nice builds. I've seen some of the 3rd hand setups where guys put 'em on wheels for easier mobility. Do you station yours permanently, or stash them away when you're done shooting? Just wondering how heavy they are.

They stay put as they are both very heavy. I just cover the 3rdhand with a tarp when not in use.

My next build will definitely be on wheels as it will be used at a different location.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

What is minimum distance to shoot from without shooting right through these things? My mom got me a crossbow last year, I've never shot it... Never shot any bow actually besides middle school... Not sure if I have room in my yard to setup targets or not (I have a block wall fence with no holes, so not worried about a backstop)

The guys I've read about shooting the stacked foam types are using modern bows, so speeds are probably between 300-330fps. Not sure what your crossbow is capable of, but ones I've seen shoot close to that same speed or a bit faster. Dont know about distance though. The penetration should be 6" or so with compound at around 20yds, but I've not shot my target yet to confirm that. Once I do, I'll post up results at varying distances.

**EDIT**

Found out that the penetration at 20-25yds is far from truth, my findings were more like 14"-16". My daughters Genesis was putting arrows close to 6" deep at times, and that was a 20lb draw @ 25-30ft. Crossbow may send bolts clean through depending on weight/speed

Edited by Hellmutt

I'm going to attempt a build thread after work tonight, but in case that doesn't work out with my crap cel camera.....this is where I found the idea and I'm going to mimic this exact design ( the first stackfoam version build, not the others )

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=411695&messages=51&forum=2'>http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=411695&messages=51&forum=2

Late to my own party, but I've been sick half of the week so I wasn't feeling like working on this until Thursday and didn't get to try it out until today. I'll ammend the bill of materials in my earlier post due to finding out that this build takes 3 full sheets of Foamular, but only if you shrink the target's depth to 12". 4 sheets if you go 16" deep.....but here's what I've found out after some trial time this afternoon.

My daughters Genesis works great with this target, 20lb draw at 30' and the arrows come right out with maybe 3-4" penetration. My Bowtech backed off to 60lbs, at 75ft still cuts through to 14-16" penetration and there is significant melt on the first 4-6" of the arrow shaft. This makes removal extremely hard. They get lodged in place like they're glued in unless the target is only 12" thick ( like my build ) and allows the arrow tip to protrude out the back, so then a stick of wood and a deadblow hammer can be used to free them up. Seems to be doing well overall, and should last all season. The melt situation pisses me off but I'm planning on trying some veg oil or other lubricant to prevent adhesion of the foam to the arrow without chemically melting the foam like WD40 and PB Blaster seem to do.

I did blow my $100 budget goal on the build by $15, but for a 4'x4' target it still feels like a good deal. Think it weighs in around 70ish lbs, still manageable to bring into the garage after a session, so I'm happy. I'll be thrilled once I can figure out how to stop the foam from melting to my arrows. I cant crank my draw wt back any lighter than 60lb, so I may simply suspend a bag target in front of this foam target when I shoot my bow. But for my daughter's bow, and other lighter weighted bows, I'd recommend building one

med_gallery_13733_1536_194268.jpg

Edited by Hellmutt

Aside from a saw to cut the 10' length of 2x12, a drill, and a 1/2" drillbit, and a 3/4" ratchet wrench....the only tools needed to build this are a razor knife, lots of extra blades ( I went through 2 per sheet since it wanted to tear half way through ), a pen/pencil, tape measure, and a straightedge.

med_gallery_13733_1536_820246.jpg

I simply threw each sheet on a pair of sawhorses, marked off 12" intervals on both sides, traced the cuts, and sliced 'em up. Cut the 10ft plank in half, mark the centerline at 3" from each end of each plank to drill the 1/2" holes for the threaded rod to pass through. I ran the rod through both planks with everything on the floor, standing on edge, so I could easily stack the foam in between the planks to tighten it all together. Now, I've no clue howhard to torque this all together, but I snugged it to maybe 20-25lbft or so. The planks were starting to bend at the ends so I didn't go any further. If a frame was built and used in place of the 2x12's, torque could definitely be added to help pack the target together better. Which may be the route I take eventually, but to get it done for now this will suffice.

Edited by Hellmutt

• 1 month later...

Nice builds guys.. When we doing the or 3d shoot? Also I like Rinehart or Mckenzie 3d targets with both IBO and asa rings. They seem to make me a better archer

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to see a "forever" target. There is a spider target out that is probably the best on the market but is relatively expensive. Then your talking mobile. The spider is stationary! The frame is too heavy to move around.

The best bang for the buck, period is the Morrell "pro" grade bags.

There is a difference In them as well.

The range that sponsored me had these with huts built around them.

So, now figure they were out of the weather and safe. So a shoot every weekend. 100 shooters a weekend on average. And everyone shoots the 20 yard bag. So they got shot A LOT. By the end of the year they were still a good target but pretty tore up (20yd anyway). We pulled them off the stands and put new bags/covers on them for 20.00 each and they were good to go.

I personally have had two of these to practice with, since I shot professionally; 7-8 years ago. One still looks like brand new and the other had to have a new cover.

Absolutely never any pass throughs.

When I shot for Bowtech, my bow shot 333FPS and 330 consistently.

Just my .02 cents... That Morrell bag is the best you can get!

But get the pro-grade or double-stuff.

Edited by Beegreenstrings