PIAA Sports Horn replacement..before and after vid clips

2talltim

The C14 horn had seen better days so it was time for a replacement.  i decided to go with the PIAA sports horn. Direct bolt on, no relay to wire, it was simple. I know they say these need to be mounted throat down but due to clearance issues and wanting to make it as simple as possible i went with a 45 deg down angle.(i think it will be fine).

here is a post install pic.... 
20140406_182528.jpg

before video of the old dying horn....

and the after of the new PIAA horn....

Edited by 2talltim

Is this comparable in loudness to an air horn? I'm looking for a loud air horn style to definitely get someone's attention.

"I miss America"

No just a vast improvement over the beepbeep stock horns. It's not a super loud or anything like that. If you go that route you will have to rewire and run a relay. This is just a quick easy and slightly upgraded option.

No just a vast improvement over the beepbeep stock horns. It's not a super loud or anything like that. If you go that route you will have to rewire and run a relay. This is just a quick easy and slightly upgraded option.

Thanks for the input

Looking at this. http://bit.ly/ZHUJOg

136db????

"I miss America"

I just got back from an impromptu mini bike night at the Lube (two bikes).  I will test them and then get pics up tomorrow and idodishez has first dibs followed closely by Tim.

Edited by Tonik

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this isn't a hijack: What horns can one reasonably upgrade to w/o installing relays? PIAA sport apparently. What about Hella Supertones? FIAMM freeway blasters? Bosch? A good stock car horn?  Or just suck it up and use a relay?  The Nighthawk would be pretty easy to wire, but my Vulcan's wiring is, how shall we say, "intellectually challenged".

Here is some info in the freeway blaster on ADV... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271578

I think the PIAA draws around 3-4 amps, look like the freeway blaster draws around 5-6, i'd say your imited by how big the fuse is on the bike(no that doesnt mean put a bigger one in), but my personal preference is to have double of what you really need as a minimum. But i always overdo things, it's what i do.

First step is to do the research to figure out how much your stock horn draws.  That is the max you want the replacement to draw without a relay.  The fuse is a decent indicator, but some bikes are really cheap on the horn switch and they will actually fry before the fuse blows. Guess what manufacturer is famous for using low amp horn switches...yes our beloved Kawasaki's have cheap ass horn switches.

Tonik - I replaced the OEM horn on my bike a few months ago, I bought the Wolo air horns. They were like $25 from Amazon, has 2 horns high and low with mini compressor. I had to wire it up to the bike and mount them under each side of the tail section. It wasn't the easiest, but was worth the time and effort. They are STUPID loud. I have used them a few times to get the attention of complacent drivers :lost:

Tonik - I replaced the OEM horn on my bike a few months ago, I bought the Wolo air horns. They were like $25 from Amazon, has 2 horns high and low with mini compressor. I had to wire it up to the bike and mount them under each side of the tail section. It wasn't the easiest, but was worth the time and effort. They are STUPID loud. I have used them a few times to get the attention of complacent drivers :lost:

Next stop, train horns :)

Sent from my iPhone.

• 3 months later...

I just got back from an impromptu mini bike night at the Lube (two bikes). I will test them and then get pics up tomorrow and idodishez has first dibs followed closely by Tim.

Will still take them if u have them

"I miss America"