Straight-walled cartridge rifles approved for hunting deer in Ohio

Gump

I don't necessarily hunt and shoot humans and then try to find them and eat them. I just want humans to go the other direction, suffer or die. Never had a deer try to kill me yet, even after I shot it.

Your ranges are good. .410 is better than a weapon that can't be held properly.

.38 simply still shouldn't be an option.

You're coming off to me like someone more focused on your GF's hunting experience than the ethics of taking another sentient creature's life.

Actually you're kinda right, it is about the new hunter's experience. It's about teaching them to select the proper firearm that fits them, that they can properly manipulate and shoot accurately, and know what kind of effective range it has. Teach them to properly and effectively harvest an animal. That's why Ohio set up the new hunter apprentice program. To me you sound like the stuck up snob that think you should only shoot the biggest and baddest caliber around.

Actually you're kinda right, it is about the new hunter's experience. It's about teaching them to select the proper firearm that fits them, that they can properly manipulate and shoot accurately, and know what kind of effective range it has. Teach them to properly and effectively harvest an animal. That's why Ohio set up the new hunter apprentice program. To me you sound like the stuck up snob that think you should only shoot the biggest and baddest caliber around.

Nope, but the .38 is pathetic for a deer, and cruel.

Look, I'm with ya on getting new shooter started and kudos for your step-in approach. That's how ice started my daughter, nephew and friends' kids. A .410 slug is probably ok but I'd personally prefer a 20 or 12, or a 30-30 or stronger as soon as possible.

I don't necessarily hunt and shoot humans and then try to find them and eat them. I just want humans to go the other direction, suffer or die. Never had a deer try to kill me yet, even after I shot it.

Your ranges are good. .410 is better than a weapon that can't be held properly.

.38 simply still shouldn't be an option.

I don't hunt humans either. I'm using a size comparison. Military uses .223 to hunt humans and people consistently say it's not enough to take a deer. I'll prove ya wrong on that over and over again. Being accurate is as important as caliber. post-13820-13972748389356.jpg

Ugh. If you were sentenced to die by a one man drunken, one eyed, hillbilly firing squad, because you were a perfectionist, would you rather be shot by a .38 flat nose or a 12ga slug in the chest at 50 yards. (And the hillbilly can shoot as many times as he wants till your dead)

Ugh. If you were sentenced to die by a one man drunken, one eyed, hillbilly firing squad, because you were a perfectionist, would you rather be shot by a .38 flat nose or a 12ga slug in the chest at 50 yards. (And the hillbilly can shoot as many times as he wants till your dead)

Either, I'm gonna die either way. Lol

In all honesty, I hate Ohio gun season anyway. I've had idiots unloading shotgun the next field over from the road in my direction. Had one guy basically trip over me sitting on a log in a treeline as he tresspassed. The number of idiots out hunting is staggering. I much rather bow hunt. And honestly, how many people do you think will hunt up a 38 spl rifle and plug it to 3 rounds? Hell, I can't even say I've ever seen a 38 spl rifle in person. The likelihood of one being used is slim. Most people don't even hunt with pistols at all. This just gives more options to the dad that has a small child that he wants to teach firearms and hunting. You know everyone is gonna step up if they can.

At this point I'd hand the hillbilly a slingshot.

You can give the drunk hillbilly a 50 bmg. If he can't hit me, it doesn't matter!!! Let the grandma with the 38 spl do the job. At least she is accurate. Thanks for proving my point btw.....

No you didn't. Let's change the rules. Sniper with a .38 or a 12gauge with a slug from fifty yards. After he hits you, if you can run 40 yards past the magic line, you can miraculously live unharmed and have your way with 30 gullible, sex crazed, gorgeous, virgins of your choice for the next 40 years, a larger penis, better personality, and 1 million dollars.

Which caliber do you choose?

Bs answer. In a real life situation, everyone would take a 12g slug. 12g is superior to 38 special in every way... Argue all you want that 38 is plenty of power, but please stop pretending it's better than 12g.

No offense and shit.

Although I'm eeither really high or you guys aren't on the same page or I'm not on your same page... Because sounds like Gump means you're the deer.. If so, duh 38 better chance of getting away after... But I don't think you got where he was coming from.

Edited by Steve Butters

The sniper can use either the .38 or the 12gauge.

Bs answer. In a real life situation, everyone would take a 12g slug. 12g is superior to 38 special in every way... Argue all you want that 38 is plenty of power, but please stop pretending it's better than 12g... You're discrediting the point you're trying to make with idiocy.

No offense and shit.

Straight answer. Sniper with either, won't matter. A well trained sniper is gonna know the effective range and ballistics of any round his is working with and do the job with incredible accuracy. Once again, the accuracy wins. 12g or 38 to the brain is dead faster that you can imagine it happening......