Straight-walled cartridge rifles approved for hunting deer in Ohio

Gump

Bs answer. In a real life situation, everyone would take a 12g slug. 12g is superior to 38 special in every way... Argue all you want that 38 is plenty of power, but please stop pretending it's better than 12g.

No offense and shit.

Although I'm eeither really high or you guys aren't on the same page or I'm not on your same page... Because sounds like Gump means you're the deer.. If so, duh 38 better chance of getting away after... But I don't think you got where he was coming from.

Since you edited it, I'll elaborate. I'm not saying the 38 has more power. I'm saying accuracy matters. And when he posted, I though he ment sniper with a 38 or John Doe (see what I did there?) with a 12g. I'll take the Sniper cuz he gonna ensure a kill while John Doe might not hit the broad side of a barn. I rather the sniper do one shot, one kill than John Doe wing me 3 times before he has to reload his plugged 12g and finish me off.

I haven't hunted since I was young but I take from the conversation that 410 is now a legal round to hunt deer in Ohio. Didn't used to be.

I think allowing rifles to hunt deer in Ohio is a good thing but they should be appropriate for the task. Good sportsmen will be mostly ethical about hunting even with light calibers but many hunters do not take that consideration. Taking a long range shot is all too easy with a rifle but a .38 is not going to be effective at that range.

I think these changes sound like mostly a miss. :(

Craig

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Edited by CBBaron

It was legal for me to take a 50 yard bow shot last year. I didn't because I couldn't do it with certainty. I don't think this new change will open the floodgate to a new breed of unethical hunters. Those who hunted will hunt. Those who didn't hunt, won't suddenly hunt. We have a code. That hasn't changed. Take the game if you have the good shot based on your range, experience, and load/means. This change in law isn't exciting to me....I'm not going to change anything I do.... But if I come across a steal on a Winchester Trapper in .44mag, I'd buy it and use it. Until then, I'll use my bow, .50 Cal Hawken, 12 gauge slug gun, or Spr Blkhwk. I'd be shocked if more than a dozen Ohio hunters shoot a deer with a factory .38 spl load. Hot-rod? Sure, some will out-perform a .357.

• Upvote 1

I can't wait to hunt deers with my .44 RemMag rifle on Gumps property....or maybe I'll bring the .357 carbine since I've got plenty of .38 special ammo.

Mmmhmm. Stirring the woods up. Keep your pussy loads at home. You really should use a 12gauge, you can't see that good, and I'm not tracking your deer.

Straight answer. Sniper with either, won't matter. A well trained sniper is gonna know the effective range and ballistics of any round his is working with and do the job with incredible accuracy. Once again, the accuracy wins. 12g or 38 to the brain is dead faster that you can imagine it happening......

Same sniper, shoots you below the knee with either a .38 or a 12gauge slug. Do u choose .38 or 12g? If you get past the mAgic line you're healed and the doctor fixes your trolling problem and pulls that stick out of your ass.

I use Hoppes number 9 to clean my guns. Not that CRL shit.

I'm sure hoppes works well with slow traveling barrel fouling but Frog Lube works but better for real calibers.

j/k ;) I have/do carry a 38 snub from time to time. Not implying it is adequate for defense carry/ccw just saying it would not be my first or tenth choice for whitetail hunting

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I looked. The changes to the hunting laws are not posted yet. So who knows... So velocity of a 38 special from an 18 inch barrel is about the same as a 357 magnum from a 4 inch barrel. Good enough for small game under 50 pounds. Effective range about 80 yards. Actual range would be that where the shooter can consistently put a shot in an 8 inch circle. About 12+ inch drop at 80 yards shooting point blank sight. Doesn't sound like a deer cartridge to me.

357 magnum has awesome stopping power. Not much beats it. So if the deer will stand up and face the shot, go for it. Otherwise a heavier and larger diameter bullet might be useful for any other type shot.

Actual type of bullet selection, for hunting performance, would be pretty critical with handgun or lightweight rifle cartridge.

Mmmhmm. Stirring the woods up. Keep your pussy loads at home. You really should use a 12gauge, you can't see that good, and I'm not tracking your deer.

Sheeit, I'll put one right behind its ear with the .44 mag. Besides, you know I like em young and tender. I could kill one a dem puppies with a golf ball.

Sheeit, I'll put one right behind its ear with the .44 mag. Besides, you know I like em young and tender. I could kill one a dem puppies with a golf ball.

All these friggin newbs in the woods, u might not have any baby deer walk to u this year.

Frigging 357mag levers r jumping in price already.

I'll barter a stainless 8" 44mag redhawk for a 357 or higher caliber lever action pre 1990.

It was legal for me to take a 50 yard bow shot last year. I didn't because I couldn't do it with certainty. I don't think this new change will open the floodgate to a new breed of unethical hunters. Those who hunted will hunt. Those who didn't hunt, won't suddenly hunt. We have a code. That hasn't changed. Take the game if you have the good shot based on your range, experience, and load/means. This change in law isn't exciting to me....I'm not going to change anything I do.... But if I come across a steal on a Winchester Trapper in .44mag, I'd buy it and use it. Until then, I'll use my bow, .50 Cal Hawken, 12 gauge slug gun, or Spr Blkhwk. I'd be shocked if more than a dozen Ohio hunters shoot a deer with a factory .38 spl load. Hot-rod? Sure, some will out-perform a .357.

+1 my thoughts exaxtly

Same sniper, shoots you below the knee with either a .38 or a 12gauge slug. Do u choose .38 or 12g? If you get past the mAgic line you're healed and the doctor fixes your trolling problem and pulls that stick out of your ass.

A well trained sniper won't take that shot with either because it's not gonna be a clean kill. Remember the ethics part you all keep preaching about?

All these friggin newbs in the woods, u might not have any baby deer walk to u this year.

Frigging 357mag levers r jumping in price already.

I'll barter a stainless 8" 44mag redhawk for a 357 or higher caliber lever action pre 1990.

Winchesters and Henrys never were easy to find. Still can get a Rossi 44M stainless lever carbine drop shipped to FFL for about 535. A Marlin in 45-70 should be in stock at about the same price range. And there's still some Ruger bolt guns in 44M. Most levers in 357 are long out of stock, and 44M will probably follow soon. There's been a run on 357 levers since last year. Can't find many of the 45 Colt now either. Could use that with Buffalo Bore hot loads, if the manufacturer allows high pressure rounds..

edit: I checked the Rossi M92 manual, and nothing said about ammo limits. the Rossi M92 lever can handle 45 long colt hot loads. These can be found in 16 and 20 barrel, and in stainless. The same Rossi receiver frame is used for the 454 Casull. Which is out of stock, of course.

Edited by ReconRat

Winchesters and Henrys never were easy to find. Still can get a Rossi 44M stainless lever carbine drop shipped to FFL for about 535. A Marlin in 45-70 should be in stock at about the same price range. And there's still some Ruger bolt guns in 44M. Most levers in 357 are long out of stock, and 44M will probably follow soon. There's been a run on 357 levers since last year. Can't find many of the 45 Colt now either. Could use that with Buffalo Bore hot loads, if the manufacturer allows high pressure rounds..

edit: I checked the Rossi M92 manual, and nothing said about ammo limits. the Rossi M92 lever can handle 45 long colt hot loads. These can be found in 16 and 20 barrel, and in stainless. The same Rossi receiver frame is used for the 454 Casull. Which is out of stock, of course.

Thank you Recon. New Marlins are junk. I like the Henry or Uberti if we're talking new. I might be able snag a 357 Uberti at a local mall. Edited by Gump

Thank you Recon. New Marlins are junk. I like the Henry or Uberti if we're talking new. I might be able snag a 357 Uberti at a local mall.

Mixed feelings on the newer Marlins. Marlin had problems, but not sure that it's still true. Possibly better then a Rossi? Cimmaron and Chiappa are still around also, but expensive.

Edited by ReconRat

Mixed feelings on the newer Marlins. Marlin had problems, but not sure that it's still true. Possibly better then a Rossi? Cimmaron and Chiappa are still around also, but expensive.

I don't know about Rossi. AKA Taurus made levers, I think. I havnt had much exposure to them. I've always disliked Taurus.

Last time I checked out Rossi levers, they were kinda crappy. I'd put the new Rossi and new Marlin in the same boat. Personally, and I was bias before against Remington, my last new Marlin was junk. Like it was put together by 10 year olds, quality control was zero. I won't buy a new Remington product. I don't have an option about Chiappa or Cimmaron yet. I like the older made weapons that were made with real chunks of trees and built to work.

• Upvote 1

Here is something. Chuck Hawks wisdom on deer hunting. Caliber selection.

Recommends a minimum 1500fps at target for expansion and 800ftlbs at target.

That would make most straight walled cartridges either not qualified or limited short range.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bad_deer_cartridges.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/factory_loads_deer.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ideal_deer_cartridges.htm

since we're talking mostly handgun cartridges, better throw this one in:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/revolver_killing_power.htm

In this one, he turns around and says handgun cartridges can work for a woods gun:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/woods_rifles.htm

Edited by ReconRat

Well in his wisdom most 12 ga slugs would not be good for killing deer then. Most slugs would not have the fps he suggests when they reach the target. Some barely have that fps at the muzzle.

Just a quick pic I found of a common slug look at the muzzle fps 1560 

slugA.jpg

Edited by speedytriple