Shop Recommendation in Cbus for Rotor Work?

JohnG

So, I'd like to take the front rotor off the Buell to someone who can check it out for me as far as in or out of specs and whether or not its true.  Had a bit of minor pulsation on heavy braking and I figure its either mildly warped or the mounting hardware hasn't been changed by the PO in too long.

Any recommendations on where I might take the rotor in the Columbus area?

Take your ass to the hardware store and buy a cheap micrometer and you can measure thickness to see if it's within limits. If you feel pulsation while braking chances are it's a bit warped. If it's severely warped you will have zero initial bite on light to moderate braking, as the warped portions of the rotor push the brake pistons back into the caliper and that new slack must be taken out before they can act on the rotor. Take it to any shop and ask them to put an indicator on your rotors and check for warp. Make sure they show you.

And ya don't need to take it off of the bike to check the rotor thickness.

Checking to see if it's warped can be done on the bike with a dial indicator. Although the shop might ask that if they can put the entire wheel on a truing stand, they'll check it first on the bike.

Take your ass to the hardware store and buy a cheap micrometer

Got one.  Figured while someone was checking how true the rotor is they could verify my measurements.

Already took the rotor off the rim.  Rim needs lots of TLC to clean it up and its going to be much easier without the rotor in the way.  Might make a decision to powder coat while I'm at it...

If it's already off the rim, then the shop will need a surface plate and  feeler gauges to check rotor straightness. Be safe and take the rim with you when you go to the shop.

Hell, it might even be the rim that's fucked up and not the rotor at all. Doubtful of course, but should check both at the same time.