Hypothetical legal question.

Tonik

So say someone is storing a bunch of their stuff in a storage locker to de-clutter their house as they sell it. And in there, against the lease, is 300 rounds of 7.62. And say someone broke in, and that was the only thing they stole. Would you report it to the cops? It appears Ohio law only requires you to report the loss of a weapon.  I see several possible bad outcomes here.

1) You have to move all your stuff because the storage place would be pissed.

2) Something bad happens with your ammo, say some kids stole it and they hurt themselves...you could end up in a civil case. And there is the rub, if you report it and that happens they know who to blame. If you don't report it and it happens and they somehow figure out it was you...you are more at fault for not reporting it.

I'd probably claim ignorance to the lease, not the law, and report the ammo stolen. That's more of a moral stand than a legal one. Legally I have no idea what to say. I find it strange that only ammo was taken. Sounds like somebody knew it was there. Hypothetically of course.

It was forced entry, cut the lock. Yea...it is odd that only the ammo was taken but I honestly don't know what else was in there. I would report it too, it needs to be reported.

The lock was never cut.  Right there is the same one

that has always been on there.  (scuffed up and rusted

with a little help from a file and being left in water, and

paid for with cash).  I've had no break-in.  Nothing is

missing.

If there is a record of ammo purchase, I sold it.  I needed

the money for a bike farkle.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by JackFlash