Work Boots

conn-e-rot

I have a pair of Redwing 4406 right now, they're holding up well, but not as comfortable as they SHOULD be, probably because they just don't fit quite right, they're a little too big.  I should have argued with the sales guy and gotten the right size.  I'm thinking about trying the 2206 next time, which looks to be the same boot with thinsulate.

Edited by jporter12

Redwing guy all the way "the USA version" yes there is a price for top tier quality. Redwing stores will measure your feet and ensure your boot/shoe fits perfectly, I cannot speak for the foreign made version as I have never owned a pair.

I have a pair of Chinese Redwing pull ons and Vasque hikers. I wear the pull ons all winter and the hikers all summer. Both are great and last longer than any other boot I have ever owned due to Vibram soles.

Very comfortable.

I've been told that they make most of the boots in china now because the EPA won't let them use the proper glues on the soles. The USA made units are sewn on soles.

Redwing guy all the way "the USA version" yes there is a price for top tier quality. Redwing stores will measure your feet and ensure your boot/shoe fits perfectly, I cannot speak for the foreign made version as I have never owned a pair.

Yeah, either their old mechanical measuring machine or the operator of it got mine wrong and had me in too big of a boot.  They now have a computerized machine that will tell what insoles will work best for you, too.  I have some of their replacement insoles that are pretty awesome, even in a poorly fitting boot.  I'm probably going to be replacing the boots soon.

Also, they told me that the footbeds (insoles) should be changed every 6 months or so, because they are what take most of the wear and tear of walking.  

I've been told that they make most of the boots in china now because the EPA won't let them use the proper glues on the soles. The USA made units are sewn on soles.

I believe that, but not as 100% of the reason.  I think I like the sewn on soles as well, or better anyway.  My boots are "Made in USA with imported materials", so they're not the vibram soles, and they really don't look like they're sewn on, but glued.  What ever they used on them must be pretty good though, they're holding up better than any other boot I've ever had in the past.  The only issue I have with them (other than the fit being wrong) is that I have worn through the toe of the outsole, from kicking the lifts out from under cars with them all the time.

Red wings are just plain awful.

Get 2 pairs of wolverines and alternate them. I get a year out of them that way. Usually about 60-70 a pair. Very comfortable and I'm on my feet 7-7 6 days a week 10 months out of the year.

Also get dr. Schools insoles. Worth the extra 15 a pair.

Edited by zx3vfr
  • Upvote 1

I've been using a brand called red back I bought off my Matco guy. They hold up very well and are light weight, but I have to put new insoles in about once every 3 months or so.

I had snap on boots, which are made by coastal boot company. They were comfortable, but heavy.

I always wanted to try redwing, but it's too easy to buy them off a tool truck.

If your job requires specific safety shoes/boots, the employer is required to provide the information (and preferably a source) and/or provide the boots for you per OSHA (they're considered PPE).  

If your job requires specific safety shoes/boots, the employer is required to provide the information (and preferably a source) and/or provide the boots for you per OSHA (they're considered PPE).  

They will reimburse me for the first pair up to certain amount after that they have a company I can order through or get reimbursed.

I'm gonna bet that the sole was glued on to the footbed in china.

I wouldn't be surprised!

I've been using a brand called red back I bought off my Matco guy. They hold up very well and are light weight, but I have to put new insoles in about once every 3 months or so.

I had snap on boots, which are made by coastal boot company. They were comfortable, but heavy.

I always wanted to try redwing, but it's too easy to buy them off a tool truck.

Put them on the truck account!  How about the Snap-on socks  Best socks ever!

I pulled the trigger on another pair of Redwing 4406's tonight, this time sized to fit properly.  I also got their arch support orthotic, which is what I did to tolerate the last pair that didn't fit properly for so long.  We'll see how they are after they break in.  I HATE breaking in new boots and shoes!

Red Wing. US made. I bought a replacement pair after a couple of years of almost daily use. Still haven't swapped and it's been a year or more. Still feel like my current ones are great. RW will clean and polish for free. Also new laces if needed. Replaced the insole once. Feel like new again. Won't buy anything else. Paid about $200.