Opinions on some Cars

Bad324

Seeing as I'm likely in the market for a daily driver here soon figured I'd seek out some reviews and opinions if anyone has any of these models:

2011 and up GMC Terrain

2010 and up Lexus IS250

2012 and up Ford Explorer

2011 and up Acura TL

2009 and up Benz C300

Looking for reliability, known issues, real world mpg etc. So far the only one I've gotten to test drive is the Terrain and I liked enough to qualify as a finalist

I am afraid to own another GM vehicle after my Trailblazer.  At 70k the motor and trans were solid, but pretty much everything else fell apart at once.  I had something like $5.5k in repairs over 8 different issues that all happened within a few months. 

I may lease another GM, but I wouln't buy. 

Of all those, reliability being #1, I choose the Acura.

That's a pretty broad group though...

I've had a truck the last 5 years so I feel like I may miss having a utility vehicle but at the same time I know I miss having a car so I'm basically just looking at anything in my price range to start and then narrow down later!

I am afraid to own another GM vehicle after my Trailblazer. At 70k the motor and trans were solid, but pretty much everything else fell apart at once. I had something like $5.5k in repairs over 8 different issues that all happened within a few months.

I may lease another GM, but I wouln't buy.

I must have really good luck with GM vehicles. I've had 6 in the last 12 years and the worst one was the window regulator issue on my Grand Am.

Leasing is a possibility but I'd almost definitely have to buy out the car because of the mileage I put on so it depends on how all that math works out if I go new lease or used buy

What is the top dollar amount you're wanting to spend?

$20k is my current goal, $23k would likely be the max. I'm pretty particular and judgmental on cars based on look. If I don't like the way it looks then the rest doesn't matter

IS250 would be my choice. Hell no to any GM product (full size truck and Vette excluded).

Having 6 vehicles in 12 years doesn't really tell you much about realibility IMO.

• Upvote 1

I just got a 2014 Mazda 6 GT.  Love it to death.  The GT's are a bit pricey, but the sport and touring are phenomenal as well.  At least check them out.  I just took it in for the 5k oil change and service, zero complaints.  I looked an a lot of cars and test drove most of them for 9 months, I started with the Mazda and ended with it as well.  If you want a SUV, CX-5s are great too, but I wanted a car in the end.  Top safety choice plus from IIHS and most rear legroom in it's class, comfy seats, enough power and handling is amazing with a comfy ride.  If you were in Cbus I would recommend the guy I bought from, hands down best experience buying something i have ever had.

Edit:

I am leasing mine for 48 months with 48k miles, best option for us.  I will probably buy it out in the end and over mile charge is only .15 per mile.  Germain offers 5, 10, 15k service for free, pay for 20, get 25 free, pay for 30 get 35k free.  Real world MPGs 40 hwy on a trip to chicago AND back, and depending how bad my lead foot is that week, 30-34 mixed city and hwy during rush hour.  With my wheel/tire and dent/ding protection I pay 393 a month.  Sports can be had for 179-200 for 36/36k.

Edited by Tomcat0403

You'll be hard pressed to find a Acura TL for that amount, unless it has 50k miles on it.

How about a new Honda Accord Sport? MSRP is $24k. That's a lot of vehicle for a relatively low price point, and it's brand new.

I've already found 2 TL's local. One with 30k and other with 40k

I don't do new cars unless it's a lease, I'll have to take a look at the Accord though and see if it moves my soul at all

I just got a 2014 Mazda 6 GT. Love it to death. The GT's are a bit pricey, but the sport and touring are phenomenal as well. At least check them out. I just took it in for the 5k oil change and service, zero complaints. I looked an a lot of cars and test drove most of them for 9 months, I started with the Mazda and ended with it as well. If you want a SUV, CX-5s are great too, but I wanted a car in the end. If you were in Cbus I would recommend the guy I bought from, hands down best experience buying something i have ever had.

I just saw one on the road and it intrigued me. It's on my list of must test drive!

Advice from someone who sold cars for five years, don't lease if you "have" to buy at the end due to the amount of mileage you drive. Financially, it's not the best option.

Good luck!

Interesting, that's good to know. I wonder if my stepdads math lesson to me in doing that only worked when it came to fleet vehicles then

Add up the amount of the lease payments, plus any down payment, plus the amount to buy at the end of the lease, plus sales tax on the buyout amount, plus interest if you have to finance the buy out amount...and the end total amount is ALWAYS going to be more than purchasing from the beginning. I honestly cannot think of how leasing then buying could be cheaper than only buying.

Don't get me wrong, leasing can be great at times. My wife has leased a VW Jetta three times, and it's truly a bargain...but she stays under the mileage limit. The one she has now had a $25k MSRP, and her payment is $262 for 39 months/36k miles. No down payment, and all maintenance is covered(minus brakes and tires...but those will both be fine). In three years, she turns it in and gets another new one. MAG VW is where she gets them, Lori Barber is the saleswoman, and it's literally a piece of cake. Never had a single issue.

Edited by BadTrainDriver

I say buy a new mazda 6 like mentioned above. Manual sport starts at $21,190 MSRP. Won't have to worry about other people's lack of maintenance. Great car, nearly 40mpg highway. CarandDriver 10best. A blast to drive for what it is.

Advice from someone who sold cars for five years, don't lease if you "have" to buy at the end due to the amount of mileage you drive. Financially, it's not the best option.

Good luck!

Isn't that only true if you're not wise enough to negotiate the residual value at the time of the lease?

Id go with the TL hands down. awesome awesome car great AWD system powerful and comfortable.. Im trying to talk the GF into a Acura. 

Not all TLs are AWD, and probably will be difficult to find in his price range. 

It is a great system though, and that's coming from me...a Subaru Legacy owner. 

I'd love to be able to afford to upgrade to a TL SH AWD!

Edited by BadTrainDriver