Opinions on some Cars

Bad324

If you drive a lot, which I do, an you mentioned you do as well, then fuel economy matters. You can get cars that get 35+ hwy and don't drink premium. Seems most stations charge 40 cents more per gallon instead of the 20 cents I grew accustomed to over the last few decades.

TL's aren't very good in this department.

If you drive a lot, which I do, an you mentioned you do as well, then fuel economy matters. You can get cars that get 35+ hwy and don't drink premium. Seems most stations charge 40 cents more per gallon instead of the 20 cents I grew accustomed to over the last few decades.

TL's aren't very good in this department.

What do you have in mind for some examples. Right now I'm pretty open to suggestions. I've always sacrificed fuel economy for looks and fun factor so my track record for "sensible" choice is weak lol

NoI don't know why people buy Lexi, acuras, infinities, Lincolns, audi, etc. Most cases they are rebadged versions of their sister brands. If you want luxury, I'd stick with beemers or Benz. If you want SUV, I'd look to explorer or 4runner.

Your list is a pretty wide range in style and options. A Terrain vs a C300 could not be any more polar opposites. Start By deciding what it is you want, an SUV vs a Sedan. That would reduce your list in half. I'd start there and think about what you are going to use it or for and your driving preference (comfort, performance, status, reliability)

Comfort? Then c300 or is250 from your list or else consider a Taurus.

Performance? Lexus from your list or else Beemers,

Status? ... You get the point.

Car shopping is fun. Buying not so much. But I love trolling auto trader.

Edited by mojocho

I would recommend that whatever you do, try to buy something CPO.  That should give you some piece of mind and usually a 12mo./12k bumb to bumber warranty.  I recently picked up a lightly used '13 SHO that was CPO and would have normally given my a 7yr/70k bumber to bumber warranty.  But I was able to get the car cheap enough I opted for a 10yr/120k mile transferable warranty.  WAY to much electronic shit in new cars today, especially this thing.

Edited by r1crusher

NoI don't know why people buy Lexi, acuras, infinities, Lincolns, audi, etc. Most cases they are rebadged versions of their sister brands. If you want luxury, I'd stick with beemers or Benz. If you want SUV, I'd look to explorer or 4runner.

While what you say USED to be true, it's really not anymore.

A four door Honda Accord isn't even close to a four door FWD Acura TL. There truly are a lot of "upgrades" for the increase in price.

Same for Audi versus VW.

Same for Infiniti versus Toyota.

Not that there's anything wrong with the lesser expensive brands though.

Edited by BadTrainDriver

FWIW, I have been extremely happy with my shitbox Corolla purchase.  I'm racking up 400 miles a week in commuting alone.  On the trip to DC and back, I got 42 mpg with the AC running most of the way.

It is not flashy.  It is not even remotely fun to drive.  It is paid for, it doesn't cost me much to maintain, and it is not something I cry over if it gets scratched or dented.  And I actually think it makes me drive more carefully, because I can't just use the gas pedal to get out of bad situations anymore.

This was certainly a step-down in "class" from my last vehicle, but it really suits my needs better than I thought it would.  You're either married or engaged at this point.  I would look at what your fiancé drives, and choose a vehicle that fits your needs, but also does something significantly better than her vehicle.  Then you have more options, without redundant capabilities.

My vehicle is the "seats 2-3 and gets good mileage on long trips" car.  My wife's will seat 4 comfortably, fit a lot of stuff (or dogs), and tow a trailer.  We sacrifice almost 20mpg for that additional space and towing ability, but we've only made that sacrifice on ONE of our vehicles.  That's my logic anyway.

I am afraid to own another GM vehicle after my Trailblazer.  At 70k the motor and trans were solid, but pretty much everything else fell apart at once.  I had something like $5.5k in repairs over 8 different issues that all happened within a few months. 

I may lease another GM, but I wouln't buy.

I've worked on countless trailblazers. 95% was basic maintenance. The ones with problems were obviously neglected. Mine has a loose ground internally in the radio that cause the buttons not to light up all the time but other than that solid as can be.

I've worked on countless trailblazers. 95% was basic maintenance. The ones with problems were obviously neglected. Mine has a loose ground internally in the radio that cause the buttons not to light up all the time but other than that solid as can be.

My maintenance was always up to date.  Still, keeping the check engine light off was a full time job.  

Power steering lines, transmission lines etc. all rotted away way too quickly.  You could say that was from neglect of not washing off salt in the winter, except that I actually owned a car wash and washed it about 5 times a week during winters.  

Something about adding a catalyst to the salt.

I'd have to call shenanigans on that.

If you mean H20, salt would get wet many more times during normal driving than by rinsing it off once in a car wash.  Even if you did a half assed wash you would still dilute the salt significantly.  

I'd have to call shenanigans on that.

If you mean H20, salt would get wet many more times during normal driving than by rinsing it off once in a car wash. Even if you did a half assed wash you would still dilute the salt significantly.

I've always kind of thought that. I've never looked up or thought through any actual science

• 2 weeks later...

the more i've looked at some vehicles the more I think I'm definitely leaning towards an SUV. Spent the morning looking at Terrain's and Explorer's though the Explorer is at the extreme high of my budget and not sure I want to go that route

I just got a 2014 Mazda 6 GT.  Love it to death.  The GT's are a bit pricey, but the sport and touring are phenomenal as well.  At least check them out.  I just took it in for the 5k oil change and service, zero complaints.  I looked an a lot of cars and test drove most of them for 9 months, I started with the Mazda and ended with it as well.  If you want a SUV, CX-5s are great too, but I wanted a car in the end.  Top safety choice plus from IIHS and most rear legroom in it's class, comfy seats, enough power and handling is amazing with a comfy ride.  If you were in Cbus I would recommend the guy I bought from, hands down best experience buying something i have ever had.

Edit:

I am leasing mine for 48 months with 48k miles, best option for us.  I will probably buy it out in the end and over mile charge is only .15 per mile.  Germain offers 5, 10, 15k service for free, pay for 20, get 25 free, pay for 30 get 35k free.  Real world MPGs 40 hwy on a trip to chicago AND back, and depending how bad my lead foot is that week, 30-34 mixed city and hwy during rush hour.  With my wheel/tire and dent/ding protection I pay 393 a month.  Sports can be had for 179-200 for 36/36k.

was going to say the new Mazda 3 or 6, I have a 2011 Speed3 - for the money u can't go wrong, especially the new generation.

the more i've looked at some vehicles the more I think I'm definitely leaning towards an SUV. Spent the morning looking at Terrain's and Explorer's though the Explorer is at the extreme high of my budget and not sure I want to go that route

We have a 2010 Chevy Equinox, which is the Chevy twin of the Terrain.

While the car is very nice in terms of driving and comfort it has had a number of problems. Most concerning are the oil burning issues that have resulted in a couple significant repairs. All repairs were under warranty but still a concern.

However my parents have a 2012 and we know of several other newer models that have been trouble free. So it may just have been some first year model issues.

So I wouldn't recommend for a Terrain if reliability was a high concern.

If you put alot of miles on an auto and like driving a car why wouldn't you get a car to drive. At the same price point a sedan is going to get better fuel economy, be faster or both. SUV's are just not going to drive as well unless you really pay for it.

Craig

If you put alot of miles on an auto and like driving a car why wouldn't you get a car to drive. At the same price point a sedan is going to get better fuel economy, be faster or both. SUV's are just not going to drive as well unless you really pay for it.

Craig

Mainly because we already have my wife's car and I'm used to the utility of having a truck / SUV. I also may be gifted a boat in the very near future so ability to tow it is now in play meaning I might be looking for something a little older but a little bigger