Opinions on some Cars

Bad324

From everything ive read you sould get a honda pilot. Part Odyssey, part Odyssey and rides like an Odyssey. Would be able to tow (haha) a smaller boat or bike trailer no problem. And would be reliable (other than the transmission and brakes.)

Fixed that right up.

Edited by mattm

Obviously you are correct.  The Honda Pilot is a totally different vehicle

You obviously don't know shit about the Honda Odyssey vans.

Obviously you are correct.  The Honda Pilot is a totally different vehicle than the Odyssey and the brakes are completely different as well. I am in awe of your knowledge on the subject.  Also, the honda V6 transmission is THE standard by which all others are judged.

Edited by mattm

I offer two suggestions. Mazda 6 and Subaru Outback,

I just bought a car and both were finalists.

If you want a car that will give great mileage, great reliability, and is a BLAST to drive, test drive the Mazda 6. Easy on the eye too. Or try the restyled 3 for a smaller, slightly less expensive, slightly better mileage version. Also a blast to drive from what I've heard. BTW, the blast isn't mostly about acceleration. The 6 has awesome handling but the whole experience is surprising in a moderately priced car

If you want more of an SUV that can do some hauling but gets great mileage, for the class, try an Outback, We got my wife an Outback 2.5L Limited last year and she bubbles over about it being the best car she's ever owned. The Subarus since 2012 have significantly improved their gas mileage, The 2.5 is rated at 30 hwy. We've gotten 34 by being careful on long trips. Reliability is awesome. Just look at all the older Subarus running around, The current Outbacks are AWD and have one of the best CVTs in the market. The boxer engine lets it drive like a car though it has more ground clearance than an F150 or any Cherokee except the top end one with adjustable height. Towing capacity for the 2.5L is 2700 lb. The 3.6L version is rated for 3000 lb, rated at 25 mpg hwy. Either might handle the boat.

Yesterday I bought the Mazda 6. But I almost bought a second Outback - one for myself. I went with the car after test driving the 6. I've always been more of a car guy, and hey, the wife is already driving an Outback.

Per Pokey's suggestion, I think the Odysseys are now the best minivan. We had Dodge's (briefly two of them) for 23 years. But we no longer need the passenger or cargo capacity. 

Chris

Obviously you are correct.  The Honda Pilot is a totally different vehicle

Obviously you are correct.  The Honda Pilot is a totally different vehicle than the Odyssey and the brakes are completely different as well. I am in awe of your knowledge on the subject.  Also, the honda V6 transmission is THE standard by which all others are judged.

Then your post was confusing, and yeah I do know a fair amount about Odyssey vans........and they walk the walk and talk the talk. The Pilot is great other than having little room for cargo, I would go for a Ridgeline before a Pilot.

Then your post was confusing, and yeah I do know a fair amount about Odyssey vans........and they walk the walk and talk the talk. The Pilot is great other than having little room for cargo, I would go for a Ridgeline before a Pilot.

he odyssey and the Pilot are built on the same chassis and have the same motor and transmission.  When you buy the Pilot as an SUV, you are buying a FWD minivan chassis with a transverse engine/transmission combo just like the Odyssey.  Towing is a joke on either platform.

he odyssey and the Pilot are built on the same chassis and have the same motor and transmission.  When you buy the Pilot as an SUV, you are buying a FWD minivan chassis with a transverse engine/transmission combo just like the Odyssey.  Towing is a joke on either platform.

Most light SUV's are based on FWD car/van platforms. The truck based SUVs are getting fewer and fewer over the years as they have less interior space, don't ride as well, get worse fuel economy and cost more than the unibody FWD based models. If you don't need to tow large boats, campers or other trailers then the light SUVs are usually a better solution.

Craig

I offer two suggestions. Mazda 6 and Subaru Outback,

I just bought a car and both were finalists.

If you want a car that will give great mileage, great reliability, and is a BLAST to drive, test drive the Mazda 6. Easy on the eye too. Or try the restyled 3 for a smaller, slightly less expensive, slightly better mileage version. Also a blast to drive from what I've heard. BTW, the blast isn't mostly about acceleration. The 6 has awesome handling but the whole experience is surprising in a moderately priced car

If you want more of an SUV that can do some hauling but gets great mileage, for the class, try an Outback, We got my wife an Outback 2.5L Limited last year and she bubbles over about it being the best car she's ever owned. The Subarus since 2012 have significantly improved their gas mileage, The 2.5 is rated at 30 hwy. We've gotten 34 by being careful on long trips. Reliability is awesome. Just look at all the older Subarus running around, The current Outbacks are AWD and have one of the best CVTs in the market. The boxer engine lets it drive like a car though it has more ground clearance than an F150 or any Cherokee except the top end one with adjustable height. Towing capacity for the 2.5L is 2700 lb. The 3.6L version is rated for 3000 lb, rated at 25 mpg hwy. Either might handle the boat.

Yesterday I bought the Mazda 6. But I almost bought a second Outback - one for myself. I went with the car after test driving the 6. I've always been more of a car guy, and hey, the wife is already driving an Outback.

Per Pokey's suggestion, I think the Odysseys are now the best minivan. We had Dodge's (briefly two of them) for 23 years. But we no longer need the passenger or cargo capacity. 

Chris

What color and trim you end up with?

What color and trim you end up with?

I REALLY like blue and they had one, blue reflex, with the light seats that looked great. But I saw the only liquid silver that they had on the lot and I grabbed it!

It's the middle level, the touring, with manual tranny. I'm very happy with the manual and I'm in love with that version of silver.

Chris

Seen many Odyssey towing some pretty good sized boats with no problems yet to date, one is a friend of mine. Towing horse trailers or car trailers is a different story, but for most people and Odyssey or Pilot would suffice no problem.