concrete bubbies, is this a good deal?

Gixxus Christ!

Tired of messing with my wooden deck, stripping and staining every few years. Decided to get concrete patio put in. This is what I was quoted:

Tearing out and removing about 230 Sq ft concrete that's already there, removing deck posts (I'm tearing everything else out) and pouring about 500 Sq ft, stamping dying and sealing it for $3500. I've known this guy from a bar up the street for a few years now and I've heard nothing but good things about his work and his prices...so before I have someone else quote the job I'd like opinions from some of you.

Sorry, not being helpful on the concrete but have you seen that new stuff that basically turns your wood into something like trex? It's like a plastic paint or something. That would solve your problem too I believe.

I wanna try that stuff on my deck next year I think. Wondering if it works the wonders it claims as my deck is pretty bad from neglect of the previous owner

Check the reviews, that stuff is utter shit. I looked into it...one $60 can only covers like 35-40 sq. I've read reviews of it lasting one season, then shattering over the winter. One guy had the stuff get partially dissolved by rain water.

Back to concrete pricing....or just turn this thread into whatever YOU want to talk about because = ORDN.

• Upvote 1

Check the reviews, that stuff is utter shit. I looked into it...one $60 can only covers like 35-40 sq. I've read reviews of it lasting one season, then shattering over the winter. One guy had the stuff get partially dissolved by rain water.

I just applied this to a raised portion of my concrete patio last week. It's $69 for about 3 gallons and it's as thick as cake batter. You power-wash and apply it thick with a special roller, ideally using a solvent first to boil out any oils so it can really grip. So far I like it but we'll see how it hold up to winter.

Anyway... ;-)

• Upvote 1

Back to concrete pricing....or just turn this thread into whatever YOU want to talk about because = ORDN.

Good to know...sorry if it was off topic, I thought it might be helpful.

The decision has been made to get rid of the wood ddek...it was built by amateurs and requires more work than I'm willing to put in.

Would rather be spending the cash on a track whore but well....my sammich maker would never go for that.

that price isnt terrible. ive seen similar work done cheaper, but i wouldnt say hes taking advantage or anything.....just depends on the area and economy....when i was doing conrete, we would have done that job for 2600-2800 (we got concrete at $80/yd instead of 100-120 like most pay)

**edit...just reread and saw that youre wanting it stamped and dyed too.... id say the price you have is pretty spot on

Edited by Steve Butters

Good post, we're replacing all the wood on our current deck next season with the lifetime stuff, keeping only the joists from the current deck and the footprint.  Then moving the stairs to the right instead of having 2 sets of skinny stairs and making 1 wide staircase down onto a stamped concrete patio.  Was curious what prices were like on something like that, now I have at least a little idea.

We considered pavers, but I'm just not huge on them unless they are done 100% correct, and even then I get tired of them and their cost.

This season we may just powerwash and put on that thick cake batter stuff that was referenced for the remainder of summer, but the deck was just stained a year or 2 ago so not too bad, but not too good either.  Figure we'll be in this house for a long time so might as well make everything how we want it to be. 

I describe the rubberized wood-stain as "patio bed-liner."

As noted, it is expensive to get the coverage you want.  I will let you know if a year or two how it holds up.  We just put it on my friend's pool deck.  I will say that it has made the surface splinter-free.  PM me for pics if people are interested in it further.  I don't want to further derail the concrete talk.

You'd be surprised how hard it is to get someone out to quote a job around here, contractors are just so busy with all the commercial stuff and the new housing allotments that they rarely call back let alone come to quote a job. It's not just concrete, we had called 2 companies to quote a job re hanging some gutters. One just never showed up. The other came, looked at the job and mailed us a quote. I called him that day, left a voice mail telling him to come asap and get to work and he never called or showed up. Had an exterminator make an appointment to come check for termites and never show.

I guess my house is just small potatoes...

Hell that was $800 cheaper than everyone else. That also included tearing up my old pavers, fixing the slope, and some gravel fill up by the driveway. Also i made sure they put 4" all around and a gravel bed. I'd say your just getting a steal or they are playing games and going to jack the price mid job, ive heard of that happening a lot.

Pricing ranges from ~$8-$18 per sq. foot depending on the SOW (low to high-end) but that pricing is outstanding with everything else thrown in for stamping (basic one pattern/color).  Plus, you've just added value to your home...win-win.