Network guys I have some questions.

Anden

What I want to know is if there is a way to set up the home network to shut off access to the internet at schedualed times for some but not all devices. How can I monitor web traffic. I don't want to block anything as others know how to use things responsibly.

Thanks in advance.

I believe most newer routers have settings for this. I've never had to do it so I couldn't tell you exactly how but I'm pretty sure I've seen such configs on my ASUS AC router, It should be done with filtering MAC addresses.

Edited by ScubaCinci

I have a Asus RT-N16 router and it allows for configuration limiting access by a time schedule. There are also cheap software applications that will do the same thing native to the device.

What the code monkey above said.  If you're looking for a specific device, I can tell you that the Meraki Z1 not only does time-based access, but also device-based time and content restrictions as well (all based on the MAC address).  As a cherry on top, all device data is viewable over the Web from anywhere (Meraki is cloud-based, configs happen on Meraki's site instead of on the device), so you can see monitor traffic from literally anywhere, including mobile devices.  I also happen to have one that I'm not using, if you're interested.

What the code monkey above said. If you're looking for a specific device, I can tell you that the Meraki Z1 not only does time-based access, but also device-based time and content restrictions as well (all based on the MAC address). As a cherry on top, all device data is viewable over the Web from anywhere (Meraki is cloud-based, configs happen on Meraki's site instead of on the device), so you can see monitor traffic from literally anywhere, including mobile devices. I also happen to have one that I'm not using, if you're interested.

Just what we are looking for. As ours is doesn't support the time limits and what not. Besides if it did, the kids would just reset it. Will do some goole fu on this thing.