Any FZ1 owners?

silentcropduster

I have an 06. 

I had an 06 Vmax before.  Ive had the FZ1 for 4 years now.  Longest Ive ever kept a bike and I still love it.

The handlebars are my biggest issue.

Not much to dislike and if there is a bike on the street it wont hang with, you're doing something wrong. 

Great all around bike.  Very comfortable, handles well and stupid fast.

I gotcha, I'm only considering getting one bec my current bike kills my back on rides anything longer then 3 or 4 hours. I got on fz1oa.com and saw a lot of talk about that Ivan dude and his performance package that gives the bike 150 whp and 70 tq w his mods etc. Not that going fast is my concern, but I certainly wouldn't want my next bike to be slower then my 750. Now to just find some pour soul willing to let me ride their bike for a few miles 2 make darn certain I like the bike :-D

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by silentcropduster

I had an FZ1 (Gen 1) and the Z1000. Both are great bikes...IMHO the Z1000 has a better engine with lots of low to mid power. The FZ1 hits it's sweet spot higher in the RPM range and pulls forever. Better wind protection on the FZ1 obviously but I grew quite fond of the clean air I got from the Z1000. Definitely helps you stay cooler in the summer. Both are easy to work on for changing oil and air filter as most nakeds are. I'll never buy a full fairing bike again.

idk if I could sell the 750, the bike is everything I could ask of except the not so comfortable position, might start going to track days with it, I was considering owning 2 bikes. Although it I could keep the speed of the 750 with the supposed comfort of an FZ1 - I might be tempted to just own one bike lol

Had an FZ1 for a couple of years.  Liked it pretty well.  Comfortable riding position, torque curve you can surf all day in one or two gears.  Motor is pretty much bullet-proof.  Downsides were lousy seat (if you plan on riding any longer than a 150 miles or a couple of hours at a time) and so-so suspension.  Look closely at some years of the early Gen IIs ('06-'07 I think) as there was a batch of bad frame welds that tended to crack over time.  I also wasn't in love with the stock bar and would have liked to change it out for a mid-rise ATV bar or similar, but it would have required changing the cables/brake lines.  Seat is an easy fix by throwing a couple of hundred dollars at Corbin, Sargeant or Eddie (Dirtroad) on the FZO1A forum.  For longer touring, I added a taller Yamaha Touring screen with a laminar lip and soft luggage.  When its time to change tires, I recommend going from the stock 190/50 to a 190/55 for better turn-in and slightly quicker handling.

The nice thing for you as a buyer is that there seems to little love for the naked liter bikes.  I include the FZ1 and Z1000 in this category.  They drop in value pretty quickly and can be had for a thousand or two less than the R1s and ZX10s of comparable year.

Edited by Bubba

What's not your style about the bandit?

Are you just talking aesthetics?  It suits your other requirements just about perfectly, as would the FZ1.    You won't notice the weight difference between the two anywhere but moving the bike around the garage.  I would assume the FZ1 is mildly more capable at a track day, but again, not to the point that you'd notice a difference between the two, and either would still be a lot of fun.

I'll admit I'm drinking the Suzuki koolaid lately, but the Bandit is a bike that has a lot to like.   Nothing bad to say about the FZ1 (I believe some riding schools put the coaches on FZ1's), but for street use, I don't think there's much debate that the Bandit is more comfortable.

What's not your style about the bandit?

Are you just talking aesthetics? It suits your other requirements just about perfectly, as would the FZ1. You won't notice the weight difference between the two anywhere but moving the bike around the garage. I would assume the FZ1 is mildly more capable at a track day, but again, not to the point that you'd notice a difference between the two, and either would still be a lot of fun.

I'll admit I'm drinking the Suzuki koolaid lately, but the Bandit is a bike that has a lot to like. Nothing bad to say about the FZ1 (I believe some riding schools put the coaches on FZ1's), but for street use, I don't think there's much debate that the Bandit is more comfortable.

Don't mean to talk bad of your bike but I think the bandit is ugly compared ti the FZ1, also the FZ1 seems to have more of an aftermarket following, I assumed that the weight difference also made a change in the feel of the bike. In all fairness I'd ride both to be sure, I also saw the fz09 just came out, it's it's a triple, which is also a possibility for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lots of good naked sport bikes avaialbe these days.

If corners and handling are your thing, I would look at the Street Triple R.

If you are wanting more hp the Z1000, CB1000R, FZ1, & Speed Triple are all worthy.  Or if you're a baller then the BMW S1000R.