Lowering A R6

hasuna

and make no mistake, at $90 an hour for labor it's the duc techs that prey on people.

That kind of pisses me off.

You didn't spend the money on the training (to be a specialized motorcycle technician such as a Ducati certified technician). You also didn't spring for the special tools required to do every job on the bike. You don't pay for the monthly subscription to the information database. You also don't pay for the monthly fee for technical assistance. You have no insurance, and no real customer satisfaction to worry about.

That's where $90+/hour comes from.

Just because you have a 200 piece mechanics tool set and a floor jack, doesn't mean you're a professional technician.

• Upvote 1

Im with robin hood on this one. I don't feel like he was showing disrespect of "certified techs" but rather bringing to light that not everyone can afford the cost of such a specialized mechanic. I don't think he should have been ridiculed in the first place for working out of his own garage, if people choose to take their bike to him for work, its going to be pretty obvious they won't get a dealership experience, but you know what as long as someone has a good reputation and actually takes pride in their work plus they're aren't charging premium rates, I don't see why there is anything dishonorable about that. His methods are his business, if he gets the job done, doesn't do any harm, and has satisfied customers then all the power to him. I will always champion a good side-job-mechanic, especially one as seemingly well experienced and qualified as this guy.

• Upvote 1

504, I am a professional mechanic. More than that, I've been working on bikes for over 20 years. I've spent a lot of money on specialized tools just to work on bikes. I've built motors from baskets of parts. I've diagnosed and fixed issues that factory techs CAUSED. (Ask Mike ali). Don't pretend to know me dude, whatever you think I am, you're wrong.

Im with robin hood on this one. I don't feel like he was showing disrespect of "certified techs" but rather bringing to light that not everyone can afford the cost of such a specialized mechanic. I don't think he should have been ridiculed in the first place for working out of his own garage, if people choose to take their bike to him for work, its going to be pretty obvious they won't get a dealership experience, but you know what as long as someone has a good reputation and actually takes pride in their work plus they're aren't charging premium rates, I don't see why there is anything dishonorable about that. His methods are his business, if he gets the job done, doesn't do any harm, and has satisfied customers then all the power to him. I will always champion a good side-job-mechanic, especially one as seemingly well experienced and qualified as this guy.

Very true. Well said. His methods work also. Just not on all bikes as I am trying to point out. Companies make lifts especially for lifting at the point discussed.

However, he isn't going to properly lower an R6 in one hour and for $50. Ain't gonna happen. Then to reticule techs who do excellent work, is poor taste. There are plenty of guys that that work from a small independent shop or garage that do even better than certified shop techs do. Reuben on here, Hob, Pappa, etc. but there is also a group of techs that DO great work that work at shops.

Mr. Engineer doesn't understand why the labor costs are what they are in shops obviously. Saying they "prey" on customers is ill informed and n insult to any tech.

I'm done. Crazy probably is a good guy. But this is out of hand. Take your bike to whom you trust. Simple as that.

Never said anything about the general quality of work at a shop. I have had a bike come in that state 8 honda fucked up. I understand why they charge $90/hour. I just don't think you're getting what you pay for. I get business almost exclusively by referrals. That's my motivation to make sure everyone that rides out of my garage does so with a smile on their face and money left in their pocket.

504, I am a professional mechanic. More than that, I've been working on bikes for over 20 years. I've spent a lot of money on specialized tools just to work on bikes. I've built motors from baskets of parts. I've diagnosed and fixed issues that factory techs CAUSED. (Ask Mike ali). Don't pretend to know me dude, whatever you think I am, you're wrong.

I'm sorry, should have left my comment a little more friendly. I'm a professionally trained and certified technician and get offended when people say I rip people off, considering my investment.

But I do disagree that Ducati techs, or any factory trained techs, are preying on customers for charging $90/hour. There is a reason for that cost.

I've had bad luck with both dealer and independent mechanics.  Once, I had a dealer mechanic strip threads on a engine cover and try to hide it with copius amounts of loctite.  After I noticed it and went bat shit crazy & they eventually replaced it, but they were more then happy to half ass it and send me on my way.

Factory trained means much less to me then finding a mechanic that gives a damn.  When I find a mechanic I can trust I stick with them. 

I've had bad luck with both dealer and independent mechanics. Once, I had a dealer mechanic strip threads on a engine cover and try to hide it with copius amounts of loctite. After I noticed it and went bat shit crazy & they eventually replaced it, but they were more then happy to half ass it and send me on my way.

Factory trained means much less to me then finding a mechanic that gives a damn. When I find a mechanic I can trust I stick with them.

I agree with that. I wouldn't trust most other mechanics to mow my lawn, let alone crack into my personal equipment.

Well said pops. I truly care about my customers because I have a passion for motorcycles. I see it as this: I get to make a little money on the side while returning someone's baby to its former glory. I pride myself on my work and I'll put in extra hours over my quote for free until someone is happy. It's worked well for me so far as 90% of my work comes from either referrals or repeat customers.

I'm sorry for offending the guys that paid for factory tech training, in many cases the labor charge is warranted for things like desmo valve service and tranny rebuilds, high skill jobs. But to charge the same rate for oil and plug changes and other lower skill work seems a bit wrong to me. I can see how someone with the accreditation could see me as a hack; I wouldn't want someone not certified by the FAA doing my job.

/butthurt off