Lowering A R6

hasuna

I know it's already pretty much been said... but I'll throw my $.02 in...

I am 5' 5", riding a factory height cbr600.

When I bought the bike, I had discussed the potential of lowering it, as I came from the cruiser world, where the lower seat allowed me to flat foot the bike with both feet. The conclusion that I came to: I needed to learn balance and one foot stops.

I was not willing to sacrifice the handling of a "track oriented bike" when all I needed to do was learn a new technique.

Lowering link: $60

Labor and total cost: $250

Realization that lowering the bike doesn't make me a better rider: PRICELESS!

Brian, exhaust is tougher than you think. I've lifted a lot of I4 bikes by the exhaust with zero damage. My tl 1000s said IN THE FACTORY MANUAL to lift it by the exhaust. Let's say you have a 400 lb I4. So there's 4 head pipes, that's 100 lbs per pipe but it's 2 points of contact so that's only 50 lbs per contact point. Those contact points are roughly 3 inches by 3 inches. If your exhaust is made out of tubing that can't stand up to about 50 ft lbs then you have issues.

Thanks guys. I didnt realize how important keeping the stock height was. I was out riding yesterday and used the one foot stop method and its not hard at all. Just for reference. Iron pony told me $123 to lower the front and back along with the kickstand which doesnt seem bad at all. I could have miss understood. This was just a thought i had to make things a little easier. I didnt think it was such a big deal lol. Ill be keeping it like it is. Thanks for the insight.

On another note, After getting home i looked at my brand new back tire (less then 30 miles on it) and found a screw had gone all the way through :( A freind of mine owns a tire shop, can i just get it plugged as i would a car tire?

It can be plugged but that plug may come out, and if it does so at speed, you're gonna get to test your gear. As that tire heats up, the plug softens and the pressure inside rises a bit. I've heard of plugs exiting a tire while it was just sitting in a lot on a hot day.

I would be highly irate if I saw someone lifting my bike by my $700 Ti exhaust.

That's why I ask people to drop their shit off. Like I said, I've lifted plenty of bikes by the header and have never ever had as much as a dent. If one day I do, well I guess I'll be replacing someone's header but unless they're rusted to shit, there's just not enough psi there to do any damage.

Oh Jesus, now we are going to move on to if it is OK or not to plug a damn motorcycle tire! :nono:

:eatdrink:

Never owned a bike before, and never had to plug a bike tire. Is there a problem with me asking these questions?

Need a real mans bike then, 1100cc and up :p

Real men don't need large displacement bikes... You're compensating!

Never owned a bike before, and never had to plug a bike tire. Is there a problem with me asking these questions?

Plugging a bike tire isn't as safe as a tire made from one piece of rubber.  Buy a new tire.

Plugging a bike tire isn't as safe as a tire made from one piece of rubber.  

Why?  Have you ever actually seen one fail?  I've ridden aggressively on plugged tires for thousands of miles without losing any pressure or giving it a second thought.

My cousin had one come out on the freeway. It does happen. I know, your next response is 'well then it wasn't installed correctly'....look: if the only indicator of it being I stalled incorrectly is it coming out, I'm gonna skip that shit and pony up for a new tire, which has zero chance of a plug coming out of it.

A plug won't work if the puncture is larger then the reamer in the kit.  The plug should not go in the hole easily.  I needs to be a tight fit to seal properly. 

I'll gladly accept donations of nearly new tires with small punctires :)

NO not at all and sorry if you took it that way...It is just a long going debate on the safety of plugging a MC tire around here. Many say it is ok and many say it is not. Personally I wouldn't do it, but years ago when i wasn't as financially stable as i am now i used to ride on the cords because i couldn't afford new tires so each is their own but if you do plug it just keep a good eye on it and your air pressure. Air pressure on a motorcycle can really effect stability and handling.

I'll plug tires on my own bikes, to make it home... Then get a new tire.

I've ridden on plugs plenty of times, but don't prefer it.

A patch/plug is the most ideal way to plug a tire. The cord plugs or "worm" plugs are meant for lawn care equipment and are prone to fail in a motorcycle application. That doesn't mean that I havnt used one, lol!

Would I use a plug on a customer bike? No. I would recommend a new tire.