So how many miles is a high mileage bike

o-no-moto

lol, 60s metallurgy from Japan was about on par with aged cheese for hardness and toughness

some of the parts I remember were easily damaged

reminded me of zinc castings

a lot has changed

But the japs still insist on making carb bowl screws out of play doh....and their stupid Japanese industrial screws don't dovetail with an American Phillips screwdriver, so step one of any carb job is usually 'strip out screws, remove with dikes or vice grips, replace with stainless socket head cap screws'.

But the japs still insist on making carb bowl screws out of play doh....and their stupid Japanese industrial screws don't dovetail with an American Phillips screwdriver, so step one of any carb job is usually 'strip out screws, remove with dikes or vice grips, replace with stainless socket head cap screws'.

+1 struth!

Damn and I thought I was the only one that had that problem. Glad to see I, am not alone.

JIS screwdrivers will solve that problem.

Yes I'm aware of that...but hardly anyone knows that JIS is even a thing, let alone where to get them. They see a cruciform on a screw and reach for a philips. 20 seconds later they're fucked.

True dat.  Maybe we should get a bunch of JIS drivers and hand them out as stocking stuffers.

Edited by smccrory

The ZX9r is on it's 9th set of tires and 4th chain/sprocket set 19 oil changes and 5 sets of spark plugs.

My 2005 Harley FXSTi - had 4th set of tires mounted to my wheels last week

7C7CEDF4-C250-4132-8B2C-DFAA76BB49F3.jpg

Re polished everything while I have it apart

0410463F-C12A-46CC-BA4A-3299612B3F82.jpg

4F29F9B7-D359-4559-9DBC-1537451AEC2D.jpg

AAFA1BD5-86D0-4568-8C92-40F9DA591F6A.jpg

0CA90600-75EA-44B5-A484-74C8F4159A8A.jpg

"Well maintained" being the key phrase in that garage, nice scoots Lime. I've seen bikes with half that mileage, molested, neglected, and beat to shit. Some owners will never get it. They live to thrash it, sell it, buy another, rinse and repeat :nono:

256k and counting for this guy: http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/100680-uh-oh-surgery-time-bike-not-me-few-pics/#entry1310981

Limiting factor on mileage always seems to be people running into us /running their bike into things rather than mechanical issues. 

280k and counting..... running strong!  :banana:

I just swap em for 4mm cap screws, even with a JIS driver the screws are still made out of velveeta, and will strip if they are locked up in there good.

Its called an impact driver...it works and does not mangle screws.

Its called an impact driver...it works and does not mangle screws.

Yeah....I know...I have one. I've found that it's more efficient to remove the cause instead of mediating the symptoms, and at $.26 apiece there's really no downside to just replacing the screws, especially if you're tuning the carbs and will likely need to pull, disassemble and reassemble several times.