Wireless Tire Pressure & Temp Sensors For Motorcycles & Bicycles

tyler524

I was browsing through Kickstarter and found this pretty cool idea if it works out for them. I am going to watch it and see how it goes and may end up getting in on this. It seems like it could be a great idea as long as it is reliable and accurate. It is light at only an ounce and is pretty small too. 

http://kck.st/1k9yeyC

823b780342d63fe7df7f8f69a496dbf9_large.p

d695dbe5d0496f48e7b05f4c3ff52e44_large.p

Amateurs :Dna9ebu8u.jpg

You haven't been putting many miles on that thing done SD. It may be time to work less and ride more.

I love TPMS. That's how I know when I have picked up a nail. On my old cruiser, you had to wait until it for squirrelly. Someday, they will be on all bikes.

You haven't been putting many miles on that thing done SD. It may be time to work less and ride more.

I love TPMS. That's how I know when I have picked up a nail. On my old cruiser, you had to wait until it for squirrelly. Someday, they will be on all bikes.

That pic was pre South Dakota add about 4k to that.

Mounting that on a motorcycle valve stem seems like a terrible idea. Somebody do the math on how much force 29g in that location would exert at 150mph.

What is this "math" of which you speak?

Honestly I can't remember physics, trig and geometry enough and am too lazy to piece the googles together but I agree, screwing those things into a valve stem gives me the willies. The "solution" could very well cause the very problem it's trying to guard against.

They have a second option that looks a bit better to me. I agree that it looks like it would put a lot of stress on the valve stem being that far out. Their second option looks much better but still not perfect. They have a stretch goal on their page that says the whole unit will be half the size and half the weight if they can raise $250k

87c4d2bd8b75d2b60cc87a53e29ff724_large.p

An internal sensor such as we have on car is about the only way to go.  As for the temperature, it's only going to be reading the AIR temperature inside the tire, which is going to change slower than the surface temperature of the tire, which is what would be of more benefit to know, right?

An internal sensor such as we have on car is about the only way to go.  As for the temperature, it's only going to be reading the AIR temperature inside the tire, which is going to change slower than the surface temperature of the tire, which is what would be of more benefit to know, right?

The way it looks it should be reading internal temperature since it will have pressure applied to it