Anybody own a FZ8?

Wojo72

The 2013 has adjustable suspension that the earlier models

did not have.  It does not have ABS in the USA.  It is common

to scrape pegs on this bike.  The seat has a better grip now

than before.  In Cycle World's "Middleweight Mashup" in 2011

it was 2nd only to the Triumph Street Triple R.  It's lighter than

an FZ6 and most of it's peak HP is between 6500 to 9500 rpm.

It has also been suggested that, "You can trickle the bike right

down to idle, some 25mph (35kph) in top gear, and it will still

pull away cleanly and with reasonable force..." and "the bike

does start to get a bit buzzy in the upper quarter of its rev

band."  You might get 39 mpg if you are riding hard, but

normally you can expect to fuel up when approaching 150 miles

on a tank full.  The warning indicator will glow at 120 miles.

I could have been very interested in one of these if a fully

faired Fazer8 was available in this country.

If it's weighing in under an FZ6, I highly doubt it's a sleeved 1k. If you want a handful more ponies than a tuned FZ6 and care less about fuel mileage, FZ8 is probably a fine bike. Personally, I'd seek out an FZ09 for even better all-aroundness

You can find smoking deals on new, leftover FZ8s, but that is because they sold rather poorly.

They have some handling limitations that will probably never matter to 90% of street riders.  If knee dragging isn't your thing, the FZ8 is a reliable fun bike that you can find with deep discounts. 

If it's weighing in under an FZ6, I highly doubt it's a sleeved 1k.

I seemed to remember reading that it was. The weight point is a good one, but is the FZ6 especially light? It's built to a price point, so I wouldn't be shocked if there are some steel pieces that could be aluminum on the FZ8.

What's the smoking deal? I know where a brand new one sits in a showroom. Can't remember the exact price. I've heard R1 cams give them a good boost in power.

I've seen brand new ones on eBay with a BIN price under $6k (+tax & title).  I think the cheapest I saw was around $5,700.

Before I would buy the FZ8 and fiddle with cams, I would just buy a used 2008-2011 FZ1 for the same money or less.

I hate citing to Wikipedia, but this is the first place I found what I had previously read: 

Both motorcycles (FZ8 and Fazer8 in Europe) have a 779 cc inline-four engine, derived from the engine fitted to the 998 cc FZ1,[2] but with a bore reduced from 77 to 68 mm (3.0 to 2.7 in), and the same stroke of 53.6 mm (2.11 in). Other differences from the FZ1 engine include a lighter crankshaft, smaller valves and revised camshaft profiles.[2] The aluminium frame and swingarm are also taken from the FZ1

It's not explicitly stated that "derived from" means a sleeved-down version of that motor, but "bore reduced" seems to imply that.

if the insurance is vastly cheaper on the FZ8, I wouldnt' completely write it off.  Everything I've read about them says they're good bikes - but when you start talking value, the FZ09 (at least new) appears to be better.