historical plates: how to ride them on the reg

Gixxus Christ!

I made the comment that it will be seriously enforced in the next few years and I was attacked

Well you didn't really back that up with anything....

Examples: I'm a cop, and the lieutenant told me that the chief passed down from on high that it was time to crack down on this!

Or, The Guv'ner put out a new initiative to increase revenue from registration & title violations, so this will be included!

Stuff like that. Why will it be so seriously enforced now, as opposed to being lightly enforced previously?

Definitions are usually in the .01 through .04 code sections of the appropriate general heading.

I'm intrigued enough to look into this for 5 mins on Monday. See if there's a y case law. That said, a common sense definition of a "car show" would require at least a handful of vehicles gathered by invitation and/or announcement.

On the flip side of that, you are presumed innocent. I wouldn't lie about where you're coming from or going to - leave it to the state to prove you weren't. It's extremely hard to prove what someone wasn't doing.

My wife had a '79 Honda Twinstar and we put historicals on it. I think there is also a loophole involving "maintenance." Never checked the details, but got a piece of paper from the BMV, I think, that said something about short rides to test and maintain the bike.

So there you go. You're just out for a ride because you just rebuilt the engine last year and blah, blah, blah...

My wife had a '79 Honda Twinstar and we put historicals on it. I think there is also a loophole involving "maintenance." Never checked the details, but got a piece of paper from the BMV, I think, that said something about short rides to test and maintain the bike.

So there you go. You're just out for a ride because you just rebuilt the engine last year and blah, blah, blah...

off topic but i ridden said twin star, talk about a gorilla on a moped..:lol:... i accually just seen it the other day, she sits all lonely now

post-13234-0-11275500-1406941584_thumb.j

185. That may be the very bike. It was that color and had a windscreen just like that one. We sold it to a guy for his daughter to ride I think. It was a great bike but I didn't like the 6V electrical system. It was also very cold-hearted.

Bought it for $600 and sold it for $580. And, IIRC, those things sold new for just under $1k in the late 70s.

Where does she sit now?

Edited by DAC

I have historical plates on my 1982 gs 850. Not my daily driver. But I would use something along the lines of " just a quick shake down ride " because I plan to go to bike at Quaker steak Wednesday night. I have never been pulled over due to having historical plates on my bike.

I did get pulled over and a warning for speeding in the metro park. I was going 40 and the posted speed was 35. This was at the end of River road, ( 40 mph) entering the metro park at Miles road. The historical plate topic never came up, just a friendly reminder to watch my speed.

• Downvote 1

185. That may be the very bike. It was that color and had a windscreen just like that one. We sold it to a guy for his daughter to ride I think. It was a great bike but I didn't like the 6V electrical system. It was also very cold-hearted.

Bought it for $600 and sold it for $580. And, IIRC, those things sold new for just under $1k in the late 70s.

Where does she sit now?

It is your old bike it is now converted to 12V, I'm friends with him, his daughter now rides a ninja 500 but the twin star still sits in his shed, he was hopeing his youngest daughter would ride it but she has shown no interest.

post-13234-0-88525200-1407087312_thumb.j

post-13234-0-14377900-1407087565_thumb.j

Edited by 2talltim

It is your old bike it is now converted to 12V, I'm friends with him, his daughter now rides a ninja 500 but the twin star still sits in his shed, he was hopeing his youngest daughter would ride it but she has shown no interest.

attachicon.giftwin.jpg

attachicon.giftwin2.jpg

Good pics. Cool that it got converted to 12V. Great learner bike.