ATV maintenance

Gump

I've had to adjust the front brakes on my son's recon 3 times already. It's simple to do but seems excessive.

They suck. If they're adjusted wrong, usually because you don't realize there's two adjusters per drum, the shoes wear one sided then you have to wait for the shoes to wear correctly before then re-adjust again to get a good brake.They make a disc conversion kit but its kinda pricey.

This is why I will never own a quad with drum brakes. Seal or not, there is no way you are keeping water/mud out.

There's actually a drain plug but who ever remembers to drain it.....

They suck. If they're adjusted wrong, usually because you don't realize there's two adjusters per drum, the shoes wear one sided then you have to wait for the shoes to wear correctly before then re-adjust again to get a good brake.They make a disc conversion kit but its kinda pricey.

I didn't know there were 2 of them, just know of the one at the bottom, it's the only one the owners manual mentions

I didn't know there were 2 of them, just know of the one at the bottom, it's the only one the owners manual mentions

Neither did I till a while ago. There's only one hole but there are two adjusters in there. A front and back one. The manual does state it correctly but it doesn't jump out and say it. I checked my manual months ago. I took my wheel and hub off to make sure both(on each side) were still turning correctly, which the one that never got turned was frozen, then adjusted them both up real close by taking the hub on and off.

Edited by Gump

Neither did I till a while ago. There's only one hole but there are two adjusters in there. A front and back one. The manual does state it correctly but it doesn't jump out and say it. I checked my manual months ago. I took my wheel and hub off to make sure both(on each side) were still turning correctly, which the one that never got turned was frozen, then adjusted them both up real close by taking the hub on and off.

Just got home and checked it out. How in the hell did I miss that? Both are adjusted now and holy crap, I can lock them up a will now even at top speed. Thanks Gump you saved me a prematurely needed brake job. Edited by 2talltim

:nono: Maybe if you had done this before, your boy would not have tried to become a forest ranger!!

:D

He locked them up that time, so would have been no change in the result. Now to lock them up with my fat ass on it is now possible.

Just got home and checked it out. How in the hell did I miss that? Both are adjusted now and holy crap, I can lock them up a will now even at top speed. Thanks Gump you saved me a prematurely needed brake job.

You're welcome! I'm not sure how you missed it either. I texted you about it when you first got that quad. :)

Edited by Gump

You're welcome! I'm not sure how you missed it either. I texted you about it when you first got that quad. :)

I do remember the text but don't remember it saying there was two of them(but it prob did). Oh well not many miles on it yet, I'm sure no harm done.

Edited by 2talltim