Track Helmet Opinions?

RHill

What is the top affordable track/racing helmets in your opinion?  Have you used other brands/makes?  Comparison?

Background:

All I've used on the track was the Bell Star so that is my only real point of reference.  Been extremely satisfied with the Star while riding, light weight, well ventilated, no-noticeable buffeting, quick shield changes, pads maintained support through the life. Unfortunately, it isn't the cheapest helmet and my last "off" was a significant one, but the helmet served its purpose pretty damn well IMHO.  I'm thinking about picking up another, which is the reasoning for the thread.

Not the best wording, just trying to convey cost/barrier to entry does matter to me.  Just really interested in opinions.  You bring up a great point about head/helmet geometry which will play a huge role in fitment.  I'll have to look into what the Star's shape is and comparable helmets.

BTW picked up the Star for $300 on closeout via STG.  I tried on similar Bells (not the Star) and was happy with the fit/finish.  Lucked out with the date not being old, the fit lasted and was really happy overall.  Now that the Star is "proven" to me....it will probably be hard to venture away from it, but I'm really interested to see what others think.

Fit is probably the single most inportant feature.

I have been reasonably pleased with my Bell Vortex (I'm on my second), but the shell is large compared to other "medium" helmets in my closet. Next to JB's Arai and my older medium scorpion, the Bell looks huge.

I look like a bobble-head on the bike.

Agreed with fit being #1, but it also one of those things that is so hard to tell by a showroom trial.  I've had a few helmets that felt great new, then became lose buffeting moving messes as they wore in.

I'm going to see the head-shapes for the Star and see what other helmets are similar shapes.....use that as my option list.  

This is a pipe dream for sure, but anyone have experience with Schuberth helmets?

Love my bell star carbon, but I don't ride track. The bell vortex is a good lid, has almost as good of venting as star, decent pads but is a bit heavy and kinda loud...I still wore mine for 2 seasons and still keep it as a backup. They can be had for around $200 I think.

shit, was I running yours or the amber one?  there isn't one on the helmet and my crap is still at Steve's place.  Ahhh what am I talking abt, Jester still owes me a clear one anyway lol

Dude, I have been running the Bell RS-1 - very similar to the Star - and I paid something like $240 for it. Love this lid, and look to probably pick up another new one at the beginning of next season.

I've been thinking of picking up the RS-1 to play it safe along with another brand just to see what else was out there.  I think it is very similar to the Star; with just a slightly different head shape and not quiet as much air flow.  Even think my remaining visors cross over to it just fine.  Something I'll definitely be considering.

Shark race pro and the new Scorpion R2000.

Had a quick look at Sharks & Scorpions back when I got my Bell;  I'll have to take a more detailed look at them this time.

www.webbikeworld.com was my main information source when picking up the Star.  Looking back, they have it listed as a Neutral shape along with a ton of other helmets, so it looks like there are a few options.

Loudness is one of the complaints I've heard about the Star and didn't really notice because always wearing tight-fitting disposable ear plugs. Overall volume of the helmet isn't really too concerning to me.

The Star did seem to have good distinction in sound direction...such as telling if a bike was approaching on the right or left based solely on the sound from behind.  Once again, the Star is my only real point of reference in aggressive track riding, so it might actually be shit compared to other helmets in distinguishing the direction of sounds.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a Bell RS-1 and love it overall. The fit for me is very good. Only complain is wind noise, but on the track that's probably not the biggest concern. I wear earplugs whenever I ride anyway. I also use it as my street helmet.

+1 for the Bell RS-1. Before I bought mine (on closeout for like $160) I tried on the RS-1 and the Star at a dealership and they both seemed to fit me the same. But like you said, they can change after you've been wearing it for awhile.

I know a guy that wore his 10+ year old Shoei on the track. I said, "Don't you have a brand new Shoei?"

"Yeah, but if I crash, I don't want to scratch it."

I'm not even kidding. :(

Lol !

I thought helmets needed to be 5 years old or newer,maybe that's just for the racers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk