Track Temps

Limitedslip7

With fall closing in  :bigfinger: and the temperatures dropping for the last few track days of the year, my question is, at what point does the ambient temperature start affecting traction? Primarily at Mid-O. I rode last year during October and I think it was in the 50-60s with a slightly damp track and it was sketchy as hell. Of course, I'm sure the cloud cover would have quite a bit to do with it too. A sunny day is going to keep the track surface temps up. Generally speaking though, at what point do you have to start backing off? 

^this

It will depend on the track, some deal with cooler weather than others. Most when it gets below about 60 you will have to watch and give it an extra lap to make sure everything is up to temp as not only is the track cooler but it sucks the heat from the tires as well. If you have snot stuck to your face and it's in the 30-40s you better slow the hell up.

ambient temp and track temp are two different things, so don't stay home just because it's only 50 degrees outside.   I'd take sunny and 50 degrees over 65 and raining any day of the week.

At mid-ohio, the trees will shade the track at the exit of the keyhole late in the day (twilight LED, back in the day).  That alone was enough to create a difference in traction between the sunny and shaded portions of the track.   I wouldn't call it "sketchy," but there was more wiggling going on in the shade.   I think most problems occur when the change in traction is unexpected.  If you're waiting for it, just approach your normal pace cautiously.