Notice...Harley's product "is a discretionary item,''

vectorvictor

If you didnt hear on Thursday, Hardleys in trouble again... I wonder if the Feds will give them some money like they did the airlines cause GAWD we couldnt live without the "American Icon"... What about making something that is light and gets good mileage like a Harley 250 cruiser for around $3000.:confused::nono:

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080417/BUSINESS/80417019/1003

idk what youre smoking but it must be some good shit. a harley 250 cruiser probably wouldnt even go anywhere. it would just sit and make noise.

Isn't that all they do anyways? Hell their 1200 cc motors barely move those pigs.

I think what he's trying to say is it's time to do or die. They either need to modernize and come out with a liquid cooled, smooth running engine that lasts for 100,000 miles without worry, or close the doors. They also need to start making real sport bikes. Not those excuses they tag as Buells. Something that is real, competitive, 4 cylinder, liquid cooled, and competitive. This is America, we have the best everything. except motorcycles. We don't even give a shit to make an honest to god effort at it.

Yeah, very little of the Harley is made in America, Frames, and engines I think about cover it, along with the Fiberglass parts. all the electronics, switches and most sheet metal is outsourced to Japan/Mexico/wherever. Cowies, and Hondas are actually the most "American Made" motorcycles.

Once AMF (a bowling ball company who, btw took HD from a 20k mile hope it makes it home heap, to an average 100k mile engine overnight was actually the best thing to happen to HD, even though it's called the Dark Ages by the "unwashed" ) sold HD back to Willy G in the early 80 i believe it was, HD petitioned the government for tariffs against foreign made bikes, to force Americans to buy an inferior product, by raising the cost of the imported bikes above that of the HD junk. Instead of building a better product, and updating, refining and delivering an up-to-standard motorcycle, HD cried to the govt and got them to change the rules in their favor. Honda and I believe it was Suzuki? even offered to extend credit to HD to modernize and update it's bikes, and manufacturing facilities. Competition improves the breed, they know this and even though they were helping their competition, in the long run, everyone would benefit from it.

HD said no, cried to the govt, got the taxes raised so that the HD was cheaper, and in a way bit the hand that was trying to feed it. So Honda set up shop on American soil, built it's bikes here to get around the tax. eventually other manufacturers followed suite.

I don't care where they choose to have their parts made. HD is owned by Americans and can be invested by Americans, if the company makes a profit - our economy benefits.

edit:

and the article didn't mention any job losses overseas...

I own stock in foreign companies:p who do you believe the major shareholders of HD company are? The american economy sees the most benefit when they are built here, because the average joe lives paycheck to paycheck. The few wealthy large stake holders are not spending their money at local bars, stores, ect

I own stock in foreign companies:p who do you believe the major shareholders of HD company are? The american economy sees the most benefit when they are built here, because the average joe lives paycheck to paycheck. The few wealthy large stake holders are not spending their money at local bars, stores, ect

I agree, It doesnt matter if Harley Davidson as a corporation makes the money, Its us the working individuals who bennefit by having jobs, What good is having a US corp. with tons of money if they have all the products made outside the US.? Whos winning? not the economy but but the few investors and CEO's Trust me i Wish i could say us americans build the best bikes, car, etc. but i cant, Hell even my honda oil filter is made in the US and the filter i put on my uncles harley was made in china. kinda funny huh?

Yeah I know that, thats one model, the rest of the twins are air cooled HD paint shaker stock. Hell even HD has the Porsche powered V-Rod, or VRSC. Apparently, the Japanese are evil because they bombed Pearl Harbor, and we shouldn't ride their bikes even though they are superior, but using German engines, putting Iron Crosses on the bikes, and other crap from the Germans is cool, because they were our allies in WWII and the only reason we won :wtf: I've been out of school for a while now, but last I read the Germans killed allot more of our guys than the Japs.

It also goes to show that Milwaukee has NOTHING in the way of design ability, or intelligence. Hell I could design a functional motor that made decent HP/Liter, why did they have to outsource to Germany?

Probably because Porsche is a name most HD owners can relate too, it was another marketing step, since they are "Die Hard Patriots" most of them own Porsche's and other expensive imported cars

well i think the important thing is that it is the NEW model. hopefully this is not just a fluke and it is indeed the new direction of the company...and that being AWAY from harley engines...

Come on man ... you are smarter than that!!! When they came out with the NEW harley engine in the last five or so years, people complained that the damn thing ran to SMOOTH and didnt vibrate enough. The problem is that most Harley riders wouldnt know a good engine if it didnt make their ass fall asleep in the first 15 minutes. Sounds like stupid to me. Balancing the vibration out of a motor is only going to make things better and thats all there is to it.

It's a really good site, very intelligently written, read the "Harley owners feedback section" :lol: it's not overly profane, but he does use words selectively and their very few and far between, but when he does use them their more than called for

I don't care where they choose to have their parts made. HD is owned by Americans and can be invested by Americans, if the company makes a profit - our economy benefits.

edit:

and the article didn't mention any job losses overseas...

Not a flame, but your logic doesn't make sense in today's world economy.

And, not directed to you, but why do i have to spend my $$ on an inferior product, just because it's American? Things being equal, I'd love to give my $$ to the home team, but I'll be damned if i spend my hard earned money on an inferior product (bikes or whatever) just because it's domestic. Domestic manufacturers need to step up or get out the game. That's called Capitalism, and it's what this country runs on.

Not a flame, but your logic doesn't make sense in today's world economy.

And, not directed to you, but why do i have to spend my $$ on an inferior product, just because it's American? Things being equal, I'd love to give my $$ to the home team, but I'll be damned if i spend my hard earned money on an inferior product (bikes or whatever) just because it's domestic. Domestic manufacturers need to step up or get out the game. That's called Capitalism, and it's what this country runs on.

+2

Well,Harley's are destroying marriages on a national scale anyways. That's another strike against them, See, when your wife's on the back of your Harley, the engine vibrates so much that she climaxes at least three times, at the minimum. By the time you get back from the bar, all she wants to do is lie down and take a nap. No pee-hole exploration for you...