People gunned down on YouTube.

claine650

Haha, yeah, the dude literally was asking for it. And no, never bring a knife to a gun fight (that's very old news). But apparently Cops are now psychoanalyst 's, judges, executioners.....

They basically do what they want, and I'm not preaching against law enforcement by any means, but the acceptable means of enforcement has gotten out of hand I think.

Haha, yeah, the dude literally was asking for it. And no, never bring a knife to a gun fight (that's very old news). But apparently Cops are now psychoanalyst 's, judges, executioners.....

They basically do what they want, and I'm not preaching against law enforcement by any means, but the acceptable means of enforcement has gotten out of hand I think.

Do some research on the 21 ft rule...and get back to me on this one.  

Then do some research on exactly why a cop killer(or someone willing to be one) is deemed excessively dangerous.

This incident from what was shown was 110% justified.  Shoot until the threat stops.  Other incidents have occurred which we all can agree on, but this is not an example of that, at all.  

Edited by Tomcat0403

Really? Im not cop, but you pull a knife and charge me yelling shoot me, Im going oblige and empty a mag into your chest just as they did.

BTD:  That video is a tough one to watch.  The guy did nothing wrong at all.  I always tell a cop before reaching for something, but that is a courtosey I extend hoping that the more compfortable the cop feels the better the outcome will be (only had one ticket from 5 traffic stops in the last 15 years).  I don't believe that is a requirement for me to stay alive.

The officer asked for his wallet, and he complied by reaching for his wallet.  I can see how the cop is put in a difficult position of not knowing if the guy is reaching for a wallet or a gun...  But it's the cop's responsibility to manage that scene.  Perhaps a better way in the future is to ask; "Where is you wallet?" or clearly state; "Do not reach for anything without letting me know first.

I don't think this is a 20-year prison sentence thing...  I think the cop was too jittery and made a horrible, horrible mistake.  I think this is a case of a judgement call that cannot be risked again, so his career as a LEO is clearly over (Or at least working the street..  Maybe he can do a desk job?)

When I look at this video I ask myself if the cop acted in bad faith, or made a mistake.  If he acted in bad faith (shot the guy despite knowing he was not in danger) then that's an attempted murder in my book and 20 years in prison is appropriate.  However if this was a good faith mistake (he honestly thought he was in danger, even though a different officer would not have thought that) then his punishment should be based upon negligence, not premeditation.   Is there such a thing as negligent felonious assault?

I think an appropriate punishment for him would be a short jail sentence (2-5 years), suspended for 10 years so it's hanging over his head for a long time..  If this is a felony conviction that results in loss of firearms rights then so be it.

My own personal philosophy on judicial punishment is that it should fit the intent more than the result.  I feel this case is very similar to the one where the officer shot the elderly driver when he mistook the driver's black walking stick for a long gun.  His career was over but I don't believe he was jailed as it was not his intent to hurt someone he know was benign - it was simply an example of decision-making that is nowhere near the standard we expect from our LEOs.  

Also, I don't care about the emotion of the issue.  If someone dies then that is tragic, but it does not change the intent behind the person pulling the trigger.  If he pulled the trigger in bad faith then he should be punished for that and not get off easy simply because the victim had the audacity to not die.  Similarly, if the shot was in good faith then that should be recognized regardless of if the victim dies.