Ride Sunday(10/5/14)???

Tigerpaw

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know logistics including the extra 35-40 miles roll from Dayton in the morning and evening are hard to overcome, but I'd be up for volunteering to put together a route of 150-200 miles of NKY goodness if you wanna head south from Dayton.  Could do fewer miles, but you'll miss out on some of the classic roads.  Lemeno by Friday if there's enough interest--also presumes the weather is gonna cooperate--and I'll dig thru some of my old LocalRiders routes and post up a map.  Technically, I guess Cincinnati is REALLY part of northern KY anyway…. :D

I know logistics including the extra 35-40 miles roll from Dayton in the morning and evening are hard to overcome, but I'd be up for volunteering to put together a route of 150-200 miles of NKY goodness if you wanna head south from Dayton.  Could do fewer miles, but you'll miss out on some of the classic roads.  Lemeno by Friday if there's enough interest--also presumes the weather is gonna cooperate--and I'll dig thru some of my old LocalRiders routes and post up a map.  Technically, I guess Cincinnati is REALLY part of northern KY anyway…. :D

I would love a NKY trip!

I would love a NKY trip!

Here's the forecast for Sunday.  Gonna be a chilly start but a pretty day:

ScreenShot2014-10-01at112555AM.png

I knocked out a route that runs about 175-200 miles from the starting point along the 275 loop in NKY.  Google map calculates ride time at 5'45" not including stops.  Includes some of the favorites like 10 from Alexandria to Willow and 22 from Willow to Williamstown, along with a few lesser-known surprise favorites.  Not enough daylight/too many total miles to include the awesome 227 south to Stamping Ground, but if you like what you see this fall, we can always map something that includes 227 for next summer when the daylight lasts longer.

Disclaimer:  These roads are rural and there's always the possibility of Sunday church folk, slow field equipment, dogs, cats, farm animals, mud/gravel/manure on the routes, so ride at a speed that accommodates your sight lines.  Typical pace is 10-20+ posted limit in the fast sections with max of 70MPH-ish.

Lemeno what you decide to do by Saturday noonish so I can make the final arrangements and post a link to the meet-up time/location.

Edited by Bubba

Although I don't know if the plan is to take 75 straight through cincy until it runs into 275, or take 275 before cincy and go around the indiana/KY border. Sounds like a route might be posted so I'll figure it out.

Sounds like you guys are on-board for Sunday.  Here's a map of where we'll meet--Exit 80/KY Rt 17 off I-275 in NKY:

ScreenShot2014-10-01at64059PM.png

Coming south from Dayton, it's about 50:50 whether you take 75S across the river and head east on 275E or take 75S to 471S and head west on 275W….your choice.

We'll meet at the McDonalds just south of the interchange.  WIth a route ride time of approx 6 hours, we should try to roll early enough to get you home by dark o'clock.

Let's say we meet at the McD's between 10 and 10:15.  There's a Thornton gas station next door to fuel up before the ride--kickstands up promptly at 10:30.

In case you have to head home early, there are lots of bail-out points in the route along the I-75 corridor in NKY to short-cut and roll north.

Fuel, snacks and road food can be had in both Falmouth and Williamstown near the ride's mid-point.

NOTE CHANGE!!!  If you need to get hold of me for last minute change of plans or emergency, cell # is 5one3-5sixO-one94two [TEXT ONLY PLS!]

Edited by Bubba

Go 75s to the city, then take Columbia pkwy to 471s (it's the left exit for 5th street) it's easier to take than it sounds. It's the first left side exit in Cincinnati.

Hop on 471 s to 275 w. it's a couple exits down.

I like 471 coming from the way north better than 75-275. Usually because of traffic.

Looks like a solid start, Bubba!

If anyone needs to meet anywhere around Dayton, or thereabouts,....let us know. Chad, I will prolly just meet you at the start point.

**this McDonalds place you speak of, does not have very good reviews**

Looks like a solid start, Bubba!

If anyone needs to meet anywhere around Dayton, or thereabouts,....let us know. Chad, I will prolly just meet you at the start point.

Hmmm….they couldn't possibly screw up coffee, could they? I recommend sticking with the veggie entree….  :D

Chad, I will prolly just meet you at the start point.

That's cool, works for me.

but shit, those are some damn good reviews for a McDonalds right around cincy haha

For those hoping for purty fall colors on the ride, the peak hasn't arrived yet--still lots of green with some mottled yellows on the walnut trees and light oranges on the hard maples.  Oaks haven't started to turn.  I pre-rode some of the route today and the leaves, acorns and walnuts are falling like rain.  If we get the cold front on Friday with heavy rain, the roads will be extra slippery yet on Sunday.  There were several places that I hit gravel unexpectedly as well.  This is a word to the wise….

The pace will likely be slower than what I normally ride due to weekend traffic, church folk, shoppers and leaf peepers.  We WILL get blocked on the busier state routes, so leave your road rage at home and just plan on a relaxing ride.  Figure 35-45 in a 35, 55-60 in a 55, and maxing out at 70-75 on the wide-open fast stretches.  If the group is more than 3-4 riders, we prolly won't be making any banzai passes around the slow traffic anyway.