Car/Truck headlight bulbs

Bad324

GE's Nighthawk bulbs are supposed to be a better/brighter OEM replacement bulb, and seem to perform a bit better than Sylvania's Silverstars. Really up to the consumer who buys them, since this could almost be compared to a tire/oil thread.

I dont like HID's due to the cost, and possible ballast failures - which leave you without an easy roadside replacement option like bulbs can

Edited by Hellmutt

I don't have anything good to say about silverstars. I put a set in our Pilot, they didn't last a year. Fortunately, I kept the one old bulb that was still good, I had to replace it while we were in Missouri. It's not very likely that it was installation error, I do this stuff for a living, and the old bulb is still working. The other bulb failed a while later, and I replaced it with a standard halogen.

does the Suburban have daytime running lights?

My Corolla has running lights, and that seems to vastly reduce headlight life on anything brighter than standard halogens.  I live with it, but I also buy the bulbs 4 at a time and leave 2 in the glove box because of it.   I want to punch whoever decided that the battery should be installed right behind the driver's side headlight though.  I have to remove it to get to that bulb.  the passenger side headlight has tons of room behind it, and can be swapped in a minute flat.

Why are you doing everything to your Tahoe that I'm doing to my truck? :lol:

I just bought some Philips Nightguides. Will let you know how they are.

Great minds think alike naturally!

Yea I'm interested to hear how you like them. I know about silver stars but have heard mixed opinions on then similar to what jporter said

Wow, I know they are different generation but the lights in my Tahoe are by far the brightest factory lights I've ever had on a vehicle.

Coming from my 2012 silverado these are awful. I also assume they are old and dim anyways extrapolating the issue

I'm watching this to see what the OR peeps come up with. I put new bulbs in my (now) beater when I got it back in 2001, and they're getting pretty dim. I plan to refinish the lenses, and replace the bulbs, unless I can find a killer deal on something to replace the car.

Those Silverstar bulbs have a class action suit against them because they failed so often. At least I think it was them. I got a letter in the mail they'll send cash when it's over. They did suck and failed quickly.

Those Silverstar bulbs have a class action suit against them because they failed so often. At least I think it was them. I got a letter in the mail they'll send cash when it's over. They did suck and failed quickly.

True 

If you fill out this form you will get $10.00 back. 

https://autolightclaims.com/mainpage/Welcome.aspx

Silverstar. There are 3 levels of output on standard socket bulbs now. The life is short, shorter and shortest for the bright, brighter and brightest. I've not had any problem in Jeep or bike yet. One year on Jeep and several years on bike. I keep the old bulbs as spare on-board just in case.

The high output bulbs no matter what brand have a shorter life in total hours of run time.

The bikes should run a special anti vibration Silverstar. Not the same as 4-wheel.

Silverstar. There are 3 levels of output on standard socket bulbs now. The life is short, shorter and shortest for the bright, brighter and brightest. I've not had any problem in Jeep or bike yet. One year on Jeep and several years on bike. I keep the old bulbs as spare on-board just in case.

The high output bulbs no matter what brand have a shorter life in total hours of run time.

The bikes should run a special anti vibration Silverstar. Not the same as 4-wheel.

Yeah I've run the top of the line ones for 2 years in each truck I've owned no issues ever.  

I've had Silverstars in both Toyotas for over a year, noproblemo.  I went with the higher output versions.  Even have one in my bike headlight.  Maybe I just got lucky 5 times over.

I'm guessing it was a batch of them from a certain time period. I had my high output ones over 3 years ago.

Edited by Gump