Winter Mods?

Limitedslip7

Now that my season is over, I'm planning out my 2004 R6 track bike mods for the winter. Right now I'm just planning on safety wiring everything, repairing damaged race fairings, and swapping out the stock tail fairing for a race fairing. 

The only mods I've done so far have been rearsets, race fairings, exhaust, clip-ons, and 520 chain +2 rear sprocket. 

What should I do next? What would give me the best bang for my buck? Suspension upgrades? Quick shifter? Power commander and tune? 

My goal for next year is to hit a 1:39 at Mid-O... 

bike sprung for your weight?  any idea of when the fork oil was last changed out?

Took my street bike to the last track day.....out of all the goodies (slipper, full exhaust, power commander, quick shifter...) the only thing that robbed me of confidence was the suspension.  Compared to the trackbike it just felt unpredictable, and you can't push when you don't know what the bike is going to do.

Another vote for suspension.

http://racetech.com/VehicleSearch#genre=2&brand=&model=&year=

You can use that to figure out which spring would be best for you. Also if you want to get into the 30s I would get off those q3s and to do a DOT race, one thing you can never have to much of is grip.

Search for a used Penske or similar rear shock, then have your local speed shop install race-tech gold valves, or pick your flavor. Have it sprung for your weight then have them set sag and ride height. After that, note your baseline (like in a notebook) and start tuning from there.

As mentioned, get on DOT race tires. Again, pick whatever you like. From q3's - try gp-pros.

I think everyone is on point with their suggestions so far. I wouldn't worry about a quick shifter or power commander/tune until you think you're going as fast as you possibly can and really want those last few tenths. Unless you want the quick shifter just cause it's easy. Not gonna lie, I'm never gonna have a track bike without one again. I'm too lazy to roll off the throttle for upshifts now.

39's at mid-o on q3's? Get on DOT's for the safety factor alone(I found Q2's to be unpredictable at the end of life, GPA's have a forgiving degradation as the siping wears off).  Generator and warmers will let you get up to pace quicker; maximizing value of the track time.  

Over the winter, run the spring calculator; if something is off that is you starting point.  If not, a suspension fluid change out would not be a bad idea along with other maintenance.

Next, prepay for some tracktime....

If you add up your costs and you are looking at like 1500 or 2000 in mods, I would honestly just buy a bike that is already setup and sell yours to offset some of the cost.

That's what I'm debating doing... 

Thinking about selling my jetskis since I don't have anyone to ride with anymore and buying a newer, already built track bike. Either an R6 or 675... 

You will get longer life from the Q3 but more grip from the GPA and Supercorsa. It all comes down to feel on which ones you like. I prefer the pirelli due to the softer carcass, the dunlop has a super hard carcass (with the pirelli the carcass moves and deforms, with the dunlop rubber moves and deforms, two different ways to get the same result). If you don't know which you would prefer, grab a set of takeoffs of each and try them.

Why is that? Need to snag a set to try out the different carcass.

I plan for 4 days out a GPA rear(flipping to balance wear)...Most of the time it goes beyond that, but I also take em down to the point there is no siping on the sides and traction degrades significantly. Fronts...plan for 2x the life.

I feel as if I have way more front end grip with them. And when they do slide it is a slow progressive slide, not like a gpa which will just kick out in a split second.

I did run a set of GPA Pros at mid ohio and it was my first time on the bike so I didnt push hard enough to slide the front or rear. But I missed the feedback that the Supercorsas gave.

Speaking of, I do have a new set of GPA pros I need to sell.