2015 Ducati Panigale R...

Moto-Brian

Sales say otherwise...  As for ability, most can't handle the current gen 600s.  Current prices on 600s are near $13k so, I don't think once you add up the components, the prices are outrageous.  The new R1 M version is going to pass $22k...

The new Concours 14  is about $16k out the door and i think that insane money too for a bike, but if that was the only option i had of getting another one i would pay it. I guess it's just what it's worth to a man that has needs or wants. But then again I'll never buy a brand new vehicle ever, just way too many nice used machines out there for 2/3 to 1/2 the price. Just ask the bubbys that know me, I'm the cheapest Jew in the world..LOL 

you gotta pay to play, plain and simple.  the prices of everything have gone up.  and nearing 20k for a new premium bike is pretty much the standard now.

i will say there isn't a japanese contender for the Harley touring models.  Victory and Indian are the the only competition, and they are the same price range.  Personally i think Harley uses better materials, they have better fit and finish, the paint is better, i could go on.  performance wise, they still lack in the suspension dept, but they have gotten alot better.  i used to think the money they charge for the touring models was insane, but I'm understanding alot better after now owning 2.

Ducati, BMW is no different, except they focus more on performance, using premium vendors in the components makes a huge impact on price, but its also a huge impact on the buyers.  If you want Brembos, Ohlins, and the newest tech your gonna pay for it.

i could have bought a similar Japanese bike to the Hypermotard i owned for about half the price, but thats not what i desired, i lusted after the Hypermotard SP, i didn't lust after the Japanese variant of it.

as you can see now the Japanese are starting to get the hint, buyers want premium components, take the CBR1000RR SP, with premium components, the price reflects that.

i agree there is a very low percentage of people that can ride even some of the slower lower end bikes to their potential, but people buy whatever they desire.  Motorcycles are a passion, and a want... not a necessity.  if it was a necessity, every manufacturer would have a lineup like honda, high MPG low CC commuter bikes that have no soul.

Edited by Hoblick

you gotta pay to play, plain and simple.  the prices of everything have gone up.  and nearing 20k for a new premium bike is pretty much the standard now.

i will say there isn't a japanese contender for the Harley touring models.  Victory and Indian are the the only competition, and they are the same price range.  Personally i think Harley uses better materials, they have better fit and finish, the paint is better, i could go on.  performance wise, they still lack in the suspension dept, but they have gotten alot better.  i used to think the money they charge for the touring models was insane, but I'm understanding alot better after now owning 2.

Ducati, BMW is no different, except they focus more on performance, using premium vendors in the components makes a huge impact on price, but its also a huge impact on the buyers.  If you want Brembos, Ohlins, and the newest tech your gonna pay for it.

i could have bought a similar Japanese bike to the Hypermotard i owned for about half the price, but thats not what i desired, i lusted after the Hypermotard SP, i didn't lust after the Japanese variant of it.

as you can see now the Japanese are starting to get the hint, buyers want premium components, take the CBR1000RR SP, with premium components, the price reflects that.

i agree there is a very low percentage of people that can ride even some of the slower lower end bikes to their potential, but people buy whatever they desire.  Motorcycles are a passion, and a want... not a necessity.  if it was a necessity, every manufacturer would have a lineup like honda, high MPG low CC commuter bikes that have no soul.

Exceptional response.  And on target.

I quoted all three prices.  There are three models.  1299 Standard, 1299S and Panigale R.  Prices listed for each...

Ok I was confused the original post you put 1199 so I thought you were going of last year's price.

Ok I was confused the original post you put 1199 so I thought you were going of last year's price.

I thought the same thing, but I knew what those prices were last year. looks like a small bump across the board. not much of a difference at all for the extra awesome

• 3 weeks later...

Sales say otherwise...  As for ability, most can't handle the current gen 600s.  Current prices on 600s are near $13k so, I don't think once you add up the components, the prices are outrageous.  The new R1 M version is going to pass $22k...

I would even venture to say that the average street rider wouldn't even use a 10 year old 600SS to its full potential.

Prices always go up, but I remember the days of the 600SS being in the 7-10 range depending on what you were purchasing.  I guess thats probably why I ride a 14 year old SV650. It does what I need, I still probably don't ride it to the full potential that it could be ridden. 

• Upvote 1

I would even venture to say that the average street rider wouldn't even use a 10 year old 600SS to its full potential.

Prices always go up, but I remember the days of the 600SS being in the 7-10 range depending on what you were purchasing.  I guess thats probably why I ride a 14 year old SV650. It does what I need, I still probably don't ride it to the full potential that it could be ridden. 

Hell, man...  I remember when 600s were just over $5k!!!  EEEK!  I'm old!!!

You'd be very correct. Could likely say the same about a 15 or 20 yr old bike.

Check out some vintage races. And no one gets into an upgrade war buying the latest and greatest.

You'd be very correct. Could likely say the same about a 15 or 20 yr old bike.

Check out some vintage races. And no one gets into an upgrade war buying the latest and greatest.

I have a good friend of mine who raced vintage class for a long time. He rode triumph, and did very well with it. If I ever get away from track days, and into actual racing, the vintage route, will be the one I take.

I guess thats probably why I ride a 14 year old SV650. It does what I need, I still probably don't ride it to the full potential that it could be ridden.

You ride closer to that SV's potential than a lot of riders I know are on their own bikes, including myself. But I agree that most dont/cant ride to the capabilities of their machines. Wish trackdays at the sportscar courses were as cheap as cartway days.....we'd all be riding like pros

• Upvote 1

OK, another Q:  having take a base model and built a killer out of it, do you now think that was the best approach, or would the S have been a better platfrom to start with? 

I didn't want the ABS.  I knew the fork bodies might be an issue, but the chassis was the same, the motor was the same and the only issues were the fork bodies and wheels.  I bought S wheels and did full Ohlins.  I personally think I went the right route...  The cost difference allowed the motor, suspension and exhaust.  Essentially...

Now, with the prices having a solid difference, the Standard is going to be a seriously hard bike to pass over.  Same with the S where guys in 2014 and prior, we silly to not buy an R model at th price being so close.

Now, you have serious amounts to make a choice from.  Standard to R is substantial and will prove to make that bike a solid choice...