2015 R1

Tigerpaw

I'm planning on getting a new high end bike this year. I'm going to the Phoenix motorcycle show tomorrow to compare these new badass bikes. As of right now it's looking like the panigale 1299s is what im going to go for followed by the H2, R1M and then the RSV4. I'll let you know what I think of the R1M of they have it on display at the show.

I'd drop the H2 and RSV4.  H2 is going to be back marker material this time around.  The 1299/Panigale R and the R1/R1 M are the choices.  The R1 still has a lot of heft.  I wanna see it in person with hopes it is more narrow and compact.  But that weight is a killer.  I am thinking it is a lot in the wheels and that exhaust.  But at 439, it isn't really good.  And the M I heard is actually heavier even though it has CF body panels.  Not sure how that worked.

I think that the R1 will be the bike that gets the best results.  The thing that scares me is that Yamaha is well known for handling.  So, if it is slightly heavier, but handles like on rails, that can be overlooked...

I'd be those two for sure.  I am a little biased of course, but both are pretty solid.

see im on the opposite train of bias... I actually love both Yamaha and ducati... I agree the r1 is porky... I think that exhaust and collector are going to shed some serious pounds going to a full ti.. and  strip the lights and un needed  street stuff off I bet you could get it close to the 400 mark.. and putting out some really good wheel power.. plus as you said yamaha's are known for handling like scalpels I expect the same here..

I'm fantasizing about the R1... But I've had two so I'm very partial. I'm not worthy of a Panini...

Having #46 help with the testing and development is sure to help with its legitimacy and performance.

Weight doesn't bother me. I could take a good ole shit and drop the weight difference. But then I'd just read another plate of chili cheese fries and their it back on.

Maybe in a year I'll pick up a leftover or find a used one on the cheap. Otherwise I'd have to trade in my 50th and I don't want to do that.... But part of me does...

Edited by mojocho

see im on the opposite train of bias... I actually love both Yamaha and ducati... I agree the r1 is porky... I think that exhaust and collector are going to shed some serious pounds going to a full ti.. and  strip the lights and un needed  street stuff off I bet you could get it close to the 400 mark.. and putting out some really good wheel power.. plus as you said yamaha's are known for handling like scalpels I expect the same here..

This is exactly what my thoughts are.  I think it is one of the top choices to look at for sure. 

I'm fantasizing about the R1... But I've had two so I'm very partial. I'm not worthy of a Panini...

Having #46 help with the testing and development is sure to help with its legitimacy and performance.

Weight doesn't bother me. I could take a good ole shit and drop the weight difference. But then I'd just read another plate of chili cheese fries and their it back on.

Maybe in a year I'll pick up a leftover or find a used one on the cheap. Otherwise I'd have to trade in my 50th and I don't want to do that.... But part of me does...

Your shit weighs 35lbs??  What are you eating?

Burgers, pizza, summer sausages, chicken wings, brisket, single malt scotch, puppies and unruly kids.

Point is if I was concerned about weight, I'd drop weight off of me. But I don't have delusions of being a racer so weight is not a factor in my decision. A handful of track days, back road twisties, and weekend trips are my passion.

Although the real reason I don't care to race is because I'm slow as fuck. ;-)

I'd drop the H2 and RSV4.  H2 is going to be back marker material this time around.  The 1299/Panigale R and the R1/R1 M are the choices.  The R1 still has a lot of heft.  I wanna see it in person with hopes it is more narrow and compact.  But that weight is a killer.  I am thinking it is a lot in the wheels and that exhaust.  But at 439, it isn't really good.  And the M I heard is actually heavier even though it has CF body panels.  Not sure how that worked.

I think that the R1 will be the bike that gets the best results.  The thing that scares me is that Yamaha is well known for handling.  So, if it is slightly heavier, but handles like on rails, that can be overlooked...

I'd be those two for sure.  I am a little biased of course, but both are pretty solid.

They had the H2R but not the H2. The Ducati reps told us the 1299 and the new multistrada would be at the next show.

The R1 and R1M were there and they look amazing in person. The seating position was pretty aggressive on the R1 (couldn't sit on the M) similar to my friends 1199. But that gauge cluster was awesome. It looked like a very high definition smart phone. It looked better than the display on my Samsung Galaxy S5. It looked like it had a graph similar to my corvette for displaying G's and another that had something to do with brakes. They were both small bikes when you get close to them. They look awesome in person. The R1M had a lot of electronic gizmos which is why they claim it to be heavier. That exhaust is huge it'll be a big weight drop.

i just took a deposit for the first R1M my current dealership down in Alabama can get their hands on. This bike is serious and will be hard to pass up. Only bikes even on par are the Bmw and Ducati. Honda has been a real let down with their lack of upgrades. Thinking maybe next year will be a big update year for them.

i just took a deposit for the first R1M my current dealership down in Alabama can get their hands on. This bike is serious and will be hard to pass up. Only bikes even on par are the Bmw and Ducati. Honda has been a real let down with their lack of upgrades. Thinking maybe next year will be a big update year for them.

The thing is, Honda has ALWAYS been in the middle.  They never stick their necks out.  Over the years, there hasn't been a sportbike that they have set the world on fire with and was the go to choice.  Back when they did RCs and the like, they were cool and edgey.  Now?  Blah.

Even the SP fell n it's face when compared to other bikes.  Honda needs to drop their design and engineer teams and snag some from the other brands.

I think the overall issue is that they are so big, they have lost their way a tad.  But, being vanilla and in the middle probably sells to a larger group.  We want harder core sportbikes from them, but I think we are also a minority when looking at bikers in general...