trailer options

Steve Butters

I think my for my little sv650 one of those will be up to the task. I've never read any bad reviews even on the sub $200 ones, plus it's metal, can always reinforce it if I really have doubts. If I towed my bike around frequently I would get small trailer, but since I rarely tow my bike I think this is a great option.

I did a harbor freight trailer, they do bolt together.

When you assemble the trailer, the bearings will be in the hubs, but they have hardly any grease in them.  thats what alot of people don't check, and thats why the bearings fail so soon.  so when you get it, pull the bearings and pack with good grease. no need for bearing buddies.

You can also buy a full set of backup bearings from redtrailers.com   they are 25mmx52mm taper bearing

Add a HF wheel chock on top of a plywood deck and your good to go.

JUST REMEMBER TO PULL AND PACK THE BEARINGS WHEN PUTTING IT TOGETHER

Lots of good information here. I bought a VERY similar trailer from Meijer over 20 years ago. Bearing had enough grease to keep them from rusting on trip from china. I pulled 3 MX bikes thousands of miles per year for several seasons. I always had peace of mind that I had a spare tire and spare bearings. One day I went to swap bearings before a trip and the 1" spare bearings wouldn't fit. As stated above they were metric, I sweated the whole trip knowing my spare bearing were now useless. FWIW I have never had any luck with HF tires lasting, they dry rot prematurely.

Well, just ruled out the hitch carrier for me, jeep only has 200# tongue capacity, bummer.

Looks like I'll be building my own "trailer in a bag" since that's pretty cool and convenient, next best option for small and easily storable.

I bought the HF trailer over the weekend. It was an extra $40 off with a coupon - expires 3/8/15.

Does anybody here know the hitch height needed to keep the trailer level? I'll need to get a drawbar with a pretty big rise and would prefer to get that when I order the hitch - since they don't have many options in the stores around here.

4/16/15 EDIT: The height needed at the top of the bar/bottom of the ball is 14". This means the ball mount bar that came with my Hidden Hitch is at just the right height.

Edited by Shoop

I understand those concerns, but who here has ever seen one fail?

I have only seen 4 or 5 of these in use, but the owners always love them.

My best friend had one fail, it was not taken care of properly and the failure was due to rust. No damage to the bike, the front tire holder rusted in half.

That being said, I currently use the SMR600 (I think that's right) i bought it after his failed. I already have a 20' trailer and didn't want to buy another trailer to haul the bike. I used to put the bike in the bed of the truck, but unloading by yourself is just too dangerous (IMO) even with 3 ramps. I can load or unload my bike in a matter of minutes by myself.

I've only owned it since last spring (after sliding down a ramp for the last time) and it's been from here to deals gap 4 times and to georgia once. The new models don't rock as much as you would think.

I also agree about the hitch, but my hitch/truck is rated for about twice the 500lbs.

Edited by dale-mac