Looking for opinions

redbarron77

I know, asking for opinions is just like offering free drinks...

But, I have an IWI Jericho .45 (aka Magnum research Baby Desert Eagle) and am looking for a Concealable Holster for it.

Yes, I have heard, "You can get XYZ Gun and conceal it better".

I have the pistol, I am going to use it as my Concealed Carry firearm.

Looking for holster input on:

pros/cons on IWB

appendix carry -vs - on the hip

Kydex -vs- Leather

anything I am forgetting on concealed carry holsters

Thanks in advance!

I've been reading on this same complaint, where and how to carry on-the-body vs. off-the-body with larger pistols ( current gun is an XDM, but pretty set on an XDS full-time carry next year ).

G&A hosted this aticle, first timer or not it explains some good points to consider with your gun/holster choices

http://www.gunsandammo.com/home-featured/how-to-choose-your-first-ccw-holster/

• Upvote 1

I'm a big fan of OWB, but it's more difficult in warmer scenarios. I like the Concealment Solutions Sidewinder for that. For IWB, I've found Crossbreed Supertucks provide a good carry system. The belt attachment points are spread out and the Kydex is thinner than leather. I find leather IWB to take up more room than necessary. Everyone has opinions and these are mine. My current carry is a CZ 75D compact PCR. It's about the size of a Glock 19. I carry comfortably both IWB and OWB. Get a good belt made for holster support.

I ordered 3 holsters from Alien Gear holsters. One for myself and two for christmas gifts. I like the comfort of the IWB and these are a good entry level budget holster. The quality on the leather version isnt the best, but the version 2.0 synthetic material is very nice. They offer one for a magnum research Baby Desert Eagle. One thing to keep note, the turn around time for a holster is 7 weeks. I got mine 7 weeks to the day on ordering for all 3. Here is the link 

http://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/magnum-research-baby-desert-eagle-polymer-with-rail.html

I carry a full size HK P2000 40 cal IWB at least 5 times a week. I use the cross breed holster I've had for 3.5 years. It fits awesome slightly around the backside of my hip about 4 o'clock. Down side is after about 3.5 years the kydex is showing a few hairline/stress cracks so I'll probably need a new one soon. Also a good belt is needed for the heavier gun so light clothing is out if your a fan of athletic sorts and pajama pants. I also have a compression shirt holster. It's similar to an under armor shirt with a stretch panel on the side. It holds everything from my P3AT to my .45 XD easily and comfortably. I've even carried my wife's Taurus judge in there a few times. That shirt is my way of choice for carrying while on a bike. Or if I am wearing athletic clothing such as when I go out and run. The bigger the gun the more it can rub and beat on your ribs while you run or bounce around a lot. The main factor is the type of clothing you have. If you tend to wear longer baggier shirts then OWB will work well. It is more comfortable while walking and easier to get to but harder to keep concealed. Of you've got the room in your waist band and tend to wear tighter shorter shirts the IWB is the way to go.

Edited by cOoTeR

I went from a 3 oclock AG holster for my LCP/Shield to AIWB kydex setups for both guns and only use that style now.  I like that I can get to it in the car, or whatever much easier.  It's right in front of me so no having to move much clothing or anything to draw as well.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110705549699?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I got this and use it for both my Ruger LC9s and my Springfield XDs 45 ! ! !  Great little holster and I offered $18 on the make offer and they accepted it ...free ship....how can you go wrong on that?

• 2 weeks later...

I still have my AG, and in warmer months will probably use it more than I do now(havent used it since going AIWB), but some of that is due to my wife carrying 99% of the time too now.  I actually got her a running neoprene belt holster that she runs with too now, adjustable, wish it was a tad tighter pouch for the LCP, but I think overall I am happy.

I am still AIWB with my shield, and most likely that will stay as my main carry position. 

In the car I wore the AG from Cbus to central Michigan with my LCP no issues, with a fully size I dunno how anyone carries in the back.  I would have to Appendix or 3 oclock, but that's just me. 

do the robocop and surgically cut a fold in your thigh that you can pry open and jam guns into.

if you have loose pants, IWB is pretty kewl.  if your pants fit well/tight already, IWB with a big gun is not so great.

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Wow, that was freaking quick. It took 7 weeks for my 2 to ship.

I just updated another thread to comment on that - I ordered mine on 12/21 and it will arrive today on 1/7.    I'm very pleased, but will be at the range shooting after work.  Irony.