My big ass Powder coating Oven

Hoblick

so a few months ago i decided i was gonna get back in to powder coating.  this time i wanted a decent size oven so i could do several things at once, or bike frames, or an entire set of wheels or whatever.

ive been working on it here and there for about a month and here is the progress.  im gonna try to finish most of the oven build up by next weekend, and i have a friend coming in to town that is an electrician for the coal mine, very talanted dude.  He is going to be wiring up my elements, PDI controller, thermocoupler, SSR, and running my 220 off my panel.

hoping to have this thing fired up after that weekend.

internal dimensions are 5' x 4.5'x4.5'

i still have to get some hardware for the door and a seal, as well as some more insulation.

but for the next weekendim gonna finish my ceiling panel, sheet some more, start building the door, and then install a rack system for the ceiling to hang parts from.

this picture is for size reference..
B33E44ED-723C-4C2A-9662-3E14E1C32E53_zps

and this is where im at thus far

85540DDD-14BB-48CF-8D0C-1D61F17F778F_zps

• Upvote 2

I would insulate the bottom also, for multiple reasons.

Makes my recycled toaster oven look pathetic.

I'm going to guess that a lot of wheels might run through this rig.

Kind of exciting considering how many powder coat color combinations are available.

I assume you have plans for sand blast and media blast units also.

As well as some "dip to clean" immersion tanks.

Edited by ReconRat

I would insulate the bottom also, for multiple reasons.

Makes my recycled toaster oven look pathetic.

I'm going to guess that a lot of wheels might run through this rig.

Kind of exciting considering how many powder coat color combinations are available.

I assume you have plans for sand blast and media blast units also.

As well as some "dip to clean" immersion tanks.

the bottom is insulated already.

im going to make some cradles for wheels to sit in, im wanting to be able to do 2 full sets of car wheels at a time.

i have a blast cabinet, and going to buy a portable pressuizd blaster for larger things i cant fit in my cabinet.

Will gladly bring you a couple sets of wheels, valve covers, and other odds and ends to test it out, you know, so you can be sure it's working correctly [emoji6]

i dont think ill hae any issues of it working correctly lol.

i already have a few jobs lined up so this things has pretty much paid for itself already.

• Upvote 1

a little more done tonight.
wheels are on it now so i can roll it around..

got the other side wall skinned on the inside, made my ceiling and skinned it, mounted my heating elements, and insulated the top.

next is building the door  (waiting on my door seal as well), then next weekend my buddy is coming up to help me get everything wired and then the rest will get insulated and sheet metal skinned.  and shes ready to fire.

B4E9E3F9-6ECA-4964-B725-FE2F9129C2C3_zps

1FA44B76-B0FD-4C38-B5F2-0F606979C304_zps

some do circulate air, to help get temps up quicker, but its not critical.  the PDI controller will regulate the temp such as a standard oven will.  it will use a thermocoupler to sense temperature and shut off when that temp is reached, kick back on when it dips below.  and a PDI controler is alot more accurate, within 1 degree, vs. a household oven regulates around +/- 10 degrees.

You may want to shield the heating elements and allow room for air on the top and bottom. This will keep the radiant heat from baking the powder to fast. The shield will also help you create a natural convection up the walls and will keep temperatures closer to average with respect to what the parts see.

Also...just me being anal, but its PID (Proportional, Intragal, Deriverative)

Edited by whaler

You may want to shield the heating elements and allow room for air on the top and bottom. This will keep the radiant heat from baking the powder to fast. The shield will also help you create a natural convection up the walls and will keep temperatures closer to average with respect to what the parts see.

Also...just me be anal, but its PID (Proportional, Intragal, Deriverative)

i actually am gonna add shielding to the elements, just havent gotta that far yet.

and yeah your right PID controller lol.. i got it mixed up