How times have changed

HeavyDuty

How times have changed

Take Measles

Now days the media makes it out as a terrible epidemic

Old day (when I was a kid and before vaccine) when your friend Johnny got them all of the other parents sent their kids to Johnnies’ to play for the day to get them done with it sooner

Edited by HeavyDuty

It was Chicken Pox, not measles. IP is spot on and Europe is having a similar resurgence of Measles because some idiots aren't inoculating their kids. Measles is a really serious deal to the immune-compromised.

I complete agree that people who are fighting immunizations are fools and are being socially irresponsible. .

However, I'm old enough (barely) to remember the days before the MMR vaccine and, yes, parents DID purposefully expose their kids to measles. The malady was considered to be inevitable.

And the vaccination came from cowpox. Close enough.

I'm waiting for one set of parents to sue another set of parents for spreading measles unnecessarily...

Shouldn't take too long. There was a batch of kids in an urgent care had it happen, I think.

The bad news is... one vaccination is not enough. And apparently, two vaccinations is not enough either.

A small percent of twice vaccinated are catching measles. Most noticeable when those vaccinations were a long time ago.

Some schools ban certain things due to allergies yet kids who aren't vaccinated nobody gives a shit about. I can't send my kid to school with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich yet you can send your kid to school with measles, it's amazing how that works.

• Upvote 3

Some schools ban certain things due to allergies yet kids who aren't vaccinated nobody gives a shit about. I can't send my kid to school with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich yet you can send your kid to school with measles, it's amazing how that works.

Actually 99.9999% of schools won't let a child enroll unless they have vaccine records. Take your Facebook photo knowledge elsewhere.

No sources, and like I said. Even if true 99.9999999%

No. It's not 99.9999999%. Youre not very graceful at being wrong. Schools allow exemptions for medical and religious purposes, and 19 States are now allowing people to file exemption for personal reasons, not even including religion or medical.

Edited by Steve Butters
  • Upvote 1

I had chickenpox and measles by age 7 a gift from friends and then I gave them to my sisters they were considered child hood diseases back then and everyone got them it was no big deal. The only drawback to the measles was I got shingles 2 years ago on my stomach sides and back it was like having red hot charcoal taped to me for almost 2 months I would not wish that on anyone. And as far as schools requiring them now There are always exceptions to every rule.

Edited by HeavyDuty

Ack!  Responding to the president's statement this week, some of the GOP hopefuls are already coming out with their own statements that immunization should optional because "parents know best."

In my opinion they are pandering asshats, putting the public at risk, and we should take note to be sure we don't vote for them in 2016.

To me, this issue is very personal.  A few years ago a close family member had a hysterectomy after her doc discovered papillomas on her cervix, that would have become cancerous and most likely fatal - cervical cancer is highly aggressive.  Had she been given Gardisil as a child, this would not have occured, but Gardisil wasn't available when we were kids.  Now keep in mind that her son was diagnosed with Autism at age 3, BEFORE any immunizations were given to him - his docs held off because he had an intestinal blockage and they didn't want to complicate surgery, so by Jenny Macarthy's logic, the lack of immunization must have been the cause of his autism.  Furthermore, he was later immunized, including Gardisil, and today he's nearly "autism-free," so again, by Dr. Jenny's logic, immunization cured him, not the years of intensive therapeutic intervention his parents invested in.

Adding to that, I personally have a vocal cord condition caused by papillomas that grow back every few months, requiring surgical removal, or else my voice becomes unusable and ultimately my airway would shut off.  It's a genetic vulnerability to HPV 6/11, which it turns out nearly every adult passes around before generating their own immunity, and guess what, had I been given Gardisil as a child to generate immunity to HPV (i.e. had it even been available), I would not have this annoying, periodically expensive and potentially life-threatening condition.  And yes, I immunized my daughter to make sure she doesn't suffer from my inherited immune deficiency.  She didn't catch autism.  But she does have a love for tea and fancy clothing brands, so I squarely blame that on the MMR vaccine because every teen daughter I know with expensive tastes got MMR shots.

I'm not in favor of government mandating immunizations. Your body, your choice. However, I'm in favor of requirements for admission so-to-speak. Don't want to immunize? Great, you're an idiot, but great. However, you want to go to government run school? Immunizations mandatory. Welfare? Mandatory. And you are civily liable for spread if can be traced back.

I'm not in favor of government mandating immunizations. Your body, your choice. However, I'm in favor of requirements for admission so-to-speak. Don't want to immunize? Great, you're an idiot, but great. However, you want to go to government run school? Immunizations mandatory. Welfare? Mandatory. And you are civily liable for spread if can be traced back.

OK, following what I think is a contorted position, suppose I decide to home-school my kids or educate them using a sympathetic religious collective.  Do I also have to prevent them from going to public sports games and parades and historical sites and museums and government buildings because their exposure to others constitutes civil liability, or do I let them do all of that an put the public at risk?  What happens later when my collective dissolves and I send my kid to school, or college, or to the workplace?  Doesn't their presence now constitute public risk because they could be a transmission vector to those who medically can't immunize or who for a variety of reasons are imuno-compromised?

Only hermits would be able to comply with both the law and the intent of that position.  Everyone else would be remain a civil liability.

It's certainly a difficult question. I reiterate....vaccines are absolutely necessary....only an irresponsible dipshit would advocate against.... But to what end? I refuse and the BATFV breaks down my door, holds my kids down, and injects them? What does "mandate" mean? To what end? You're absolutely right...do we then ban from air travel? Public spaces? Put a red "V" on all of their clothing? I really get uncomfortable with mandates. It pushes further from freedom. In the meantime, I'm vaccinated, my kids are vaccinated, and we don't have any contact with my wife's hippy cousins who don't.

• Upvote 1

Ack!  Responding to the president's statement this week, some of the GOP hopefuls are already coming out with their own statements that immunization should optional because "parents know best."

In my opinion they are pandering asshats, putting the public at risk, and we should take note to be sure we don't vote for them in 2016.

To me, this issue is very personal.  A few years ago a close family member had a hysterectomy after her doc discovered papillomas on her cervix, that would have become cancerous and most likely fatal - cervical cancer is highly aggressive.  Had she been given Gardisil as a child, this would not have occured, but Gardisil wasn't available when we were kids.  Now keep in mind that her son was diagnosed with Autism at age 3, BEFORE any immunizations were given to him - his docs held off because he had an intestinal blockage and they didn't want to complicate surgery, so by Jenny Macarthy's logic, the lack of immunization must have been the cause of his autism.  Furthermore, he was later immunized, including Gardisil, and today he's nearly "autism-free," so again, by Dr. Jenny's logic, immunization cured him, not the years of intensive therapeutic intervention his parents invested in.

Adding to that, I personally have a vocal cord condition caused by papillomas that grow back every few months, requiring surgical removal, or else my voice becomes unusable and ultimately my airway would shut off.  It's a genetic vulnerability to HPV 6/11, which it turns out nearly every adult passes around before generating their own immunity, and guess what, had I been given Gardisil as a child to generate immunity to HPV (i.e. had it even been available), I would not have this annoying, periodically expensive and potentially life-threatening condition.  And yes, I immunized my daughter to make sure she doesn't suffer from my inherited immune deficiency.  She didn't catch autism.  But she does have a love for tea and fancy clothing brands, so I squarely blame that on the MMR vaccine because every teen daughter I know with expensive tastes got MMR shots.

1 in 100,000 will die from cervical cancer. 1 in 10,000 will die from complications from guardisil. Do the risks outweigh the benefits? No